Thai Meteorological Dept warns over extremely hot weather until early May

webfact

Meteorological Department warns over extremely hot weather until early May

BANGKOK, 18 April 2016 (NNT) – The Meteorological Department's Director-General Wanchai Sakudomchai explained that Thailand will continue to experience a hot climate until early May, partly as a result of the sun being perpendicular to the Kingdom and the persisting drought condition.

The upper parts of the country is the nation's hottest area, with temperatures around 42-43 degrees Celsius. The highest temperatures in the Southern region will be around 39-40 degrees Celsius, due to moisture and the cool sea breeze.

After around mid-May onwards, Thailand will begin to enter the monsoon season. The expected rainfall will help reduce the heat and alleviate the drought issue.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-18 footer_n.gif

FYI,

(it takes the earth 23 hours and 56 minutes to rotate)

i am so confused, before songkran , storms, expected, rain is falling from seeding,

i do not know how long metrological records have been kept in Thailand,

but this guy has never read them

FYI,

i am so confused, before songkran , storms, expected, rain is falling from seeding,

If you're confused it's probably because you don't know how to use the English language. I am not sure what you are trying to say. I don't know what 23 hours 56 minutes you're talking about. The earth completes one rotation in 24 hours exactly, because that's how "24 hours" is defined. It's been further refined to a number of vibrations of a cesium atom now, but that's still how it's defined. I, too, have wondered about the spokesman for the Thai Meteorological Department (I like their web site, http://www.tmd.go.th/en/index.php). He often says some very strange things. In this case I would prefer he cite the strong El Nino event this year, but the Day of Greatest Insolation, when the sun will be at the zenith at noon, is on 21 April. I hope the monsoon starts early in May, but don't expect it.

FYI,

It takes exactly 24 hours to rotate. If you didn't adjust your watch and lost 4 minutes a day, in six months time you would be going to bed in the morning and getting up in the evening because your watch would be out of sync by about 12 hours.

We are within the tropics..in the Northern hemisphere. At noon if you check your shadow from the sun you will not see it is under your feet as the is directly overhead. Perpendicular to the plane of the earth.

If you repeat this observation in 6 months you will see your shadow,

this is due to the tilt of the earths axis relative to the plane formed with the sun.

as we are less than 23 degrees from the the equator this would actually happen twice but as it is now thailand does recieve longer solar radiation than in winter and the path through the atmosphere is less so the effect is greater.

FYI,

If you're confused it's probably because you don't know how to use the English language. I am not sure what you are trying to say. I don't know what 23 hours 56 minutes you're talking about. The earth completes one rotation in 24 hours exactly, because that's how "24 hours" is defined. It's been further refined to a number of vibrations of a cesium atom now, but that's still how it's defined. I, too, have wondered about the spokesman for the Thai Meteorological Department (I like their web site, http://www.tmd.go.th/en/index.php). He often says some very strange things. In this case I would prefer he cite the strong El Nino event this year, but the Day of Greatest Insolation, when the sun will be at the zenith at noon, is on 21 April. I hope the monsoon starts early in May, but don't expect it.

I don't know how to use the english language, ! If you look at the science it actually takes 23 hours 56 minutes 4.1 seconds , Ah as you say that is where 24 hrs comes from oh how wonderful you have enlightened me no end,

FYI,

It takes exactly 24 hours to rotate. If you didn't adjust your watch and lost 4 minutes a day, in six months time you would be going to bed in the morning and getting up in the evening because your watch would be out of sync by about 12 hours.

what a load of hogwash

FYI,

But it doesn't take exactly 24 hours, which is why we have to add an extra day to the calendar every four years, to correct for the slight change !

FYI,

You're right that a "sidereal" day is .
23 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds. But this is not a day
in the everyday sense. A sidereal day is how long it takes the earth (on average) to make one rotation relative to the faraway stars and other galaxies in the sky.

FYI,

leeneeds is quoting astronomical Sidereal Time which is 23hr 53min and 4secs. This is extended to a sidereal year which 365.256 days. That is, it considers the 'first point in Aries'. because we only 365 days in a calendar year we have to bring it in line with astronomical time by adding one day every four years, the Leap Year. The Second is defined by the vibration of Cesium between two energy states which is 9,192,631,770 cycles.

As far as my local weather station is concerned it gives;

post-247031-0-58033600-1460949172_thumb.

The condition for yesterday was given as the same as today. But in fact there was very little cloud yesterday and there is none a the time of writing. Maybe they are referring to another 'Earth' somewhere, Ha!

Thunder storms building around Nakhon Ratchasima/Northeast region late afternoons. Had about 20 minutes of solid rain 1 day late last week, could almost hear the plants and trees breathing a sigh of relief in the garden. Not enough to do any good for my town's empty reservoir/water supply, but we got a lot of (dirty) water off the roof gutter catchment points for non-consumption use. Mozzies absent in the dry heat of late, but made their appearance that evening.

post-134393-0-30357500-1460949976_thumb.

Edited by 55Jay

FYI,

what a load of hogwash
it rotates once every 24 hours with respect to the sun. You can set your watch by it. Which part of this don't you understand?

FYI,

what a load of hogwash
it rotates once every 24 hours with respect to the sun. You can set your watch by it. Which part of this don't you understand?

It's the difference between Solar and Stellar rotations. One is 24 hours, the other is slightly shorter. The most important one in this hot weather is the one that controls the opening time of 7/11 to get cold beer.

FYI,

what a load of hogwash

If what you said is true, then everyday sunrise would be at the exact same time as yesterday,

As far as my local weather station is concerned it gives;

attachicon.gifweather.JPG

The condition for yesterday was given as the same as today. But in fact there was very little cloud yesterday and there is none a the time of writing. Maybe they are referring to another 'Earth' somewhere, Ha!

The TMD website is so innaccurate. Their forecasts are rarely right. They show pictures of clouds and storms, but in reality most of the days are sunny and no storms are seen in the horizon. From other websites some thunderstorms are expected on Wednesday 20th, and Thursday the 21st. I hope they are right.

We are within the tropics..in the Northern hemisphere. At noon if you check your shadow from the sun you will not see it is under your feet as the is directly overhead. Perpendicular to the plane of the earth.

this is due to the tilt of the earths axis relative to the plane formed with the sun.

as we are less than 23 degrees from the the equator this would actually happen twice but as it is now thailand does recieve longer solar radiation than in winter and the path through the atmosphere is less so the effect is greater.

You really either don't get it or don't know how to explain it. We are within the Northern Tropical Zone, which is to say we are between a circle called the Tropic of Cancer (the crab) and the Equator. Each day the sun appears to rise to the East, and each evening seems to set in the West. During the day the path it appears to follow through the sky is usually not straight overhead. The path is either in the Southern part of the sky or the Northern part. On 21 April every year, at least in Bangkok the sun at noon is directly overhead and you will be standing on your own shadow. That day the sun's rays have the shortest distance to travel through the air, so they are weakened the least by the time they strike the ground. The sunlight is the strongest. On 21 June, the Summer Solstice, the apparent path of the sun across the sky is at its northernmost point and it seems to start moving back South. I think the date the sun is at the zenith at noon is 21 August, but Google has not been my friend. Anyway, during the Southwestern Monsoon the added humidity and cloud cover keep it from being as hot as April 21. This is an astronomical thingy, not weather, but the meteorological department should know about it. On December 21, the Winter Solstice, the sun's path is at its furthest point South and it seems to start moving North. Here in Thailand your shadow will be on your northern side from August 21 to April 21 and on your Southern side from April 21 to August 21. I used to have a small program written in BASIC that calculated the altitude and azimuth for every time of day based on longitude and latitude, but it ran on my Radio Shack TRS Model III computer which is long gone.

FYI,

But it doesn't take exactly 24 hours, which is why we have to add an extra day to the calendar every four years, to correct for the slight change !

No, that's because the earth takes about six more hour that 365 days to get back to the starting place in its orbit, not due to the length of days.

Rain in May seems a little optimistic. No significant rain fell (in Bangkok) until July last year.

I have to agree, but it's been a little irregular the last few years. I expect it to start late this year because of the El Nino. I don't know how this "spokesman" came to be making announcements for the Thai Meteorological Department, he's been saying some very weird things the last couple of years. Up until about nine or ten years ago I always anticipated the rainy season to start near the beginning of June, but I've had at least one Thai tell me that it's supposed to start immediately after Songkran.

FYI,

23 hours and 56 minutes !

No wonder I am always late.

You really either don't get it or don't know how to explain it. We are within the Northern Tropical Zone, which is to say we are between a circle called the Tropic of Cancer (the crab) and the Equator. Each day the sun appears to rise to the East, and each evening seems to set in the West. During the day the path it appears to follow through the sky is usually not straight overhead. The path is either in the Southern part of the sky or the Northern part. On 21 April every year, at least in Bangkok the sun at noon is directly overhead and you will be standing on your own shadow. That day the sun's rays have the shortest distance to travel through the air, so they are weakened the least by the time they strike the ground. The sunlight is the strongest. On 21 June, the Summer Solstice, the apparent path of the sun across the sky is at its northernmost point and it seems to start moving back South. I think the date the sun is at the zenith at noon is 21 August, but Google has not been my friend. Anyway, during the Southwestern Monsoon the added humidity and cloud cover keep it from being as hot as April 21. This is an astronomical thingy, not weather, but the meteorological department should know about it. On December 21, the Winter Solstice, the sun's path is at its furthest point South and it seems to start moving North. Here in Thailand your shadow will be on your northern side from August 21 to April 21 and on your Southern side from April 21 to August 21. I used to have a small program written in BASIC that calculated the altitude and azimuth for every time of day based on longitude and latitude, but it ran on my Radio Shack TRS Model III computer which is long gone.

1: Will it be hot?

2: Will it rain?

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

In Korat we don't see any significant rain till September, it is a joke to say the monsoon starts in May, and totally wishful thinking.

We are still in El Nino even though it is weakening, it still has the ability to halt the rains or severely impede them for the next few months at least.

Up here, End of July is when you start to get a bit of regularity with short rainfalls.... the main monsoon like I said we will not get till September and will be finished by early October.

In October last year when the rains ceased the local 'major' reservoir was at 43%. Monitoring it every day, it did not actually start going up until about mid August where at its absolute lowest was 15%.... So that means the monsoon season gave up 28% to add to the capacity.

It is only April and is already back down to 19%.... By the end of this month it will be at 15% ... 3.5 months shy of last year's situation.

Also last year, when it reached 18% because of the way the bottom of the reservoir undulates and is not bowl shaped, the thing actually starts to split into separate bodies of water, which means god knows what the actual amount will be left, because only the last body of water which terminates at the dam face can be released.

This is the time where excavators need to be moved in to cut channels to join the bodies of water to get the water to move to the dam face, and also huge pumps..... But each day passes, these bodies of water get further apart and the job gets harder and you will need hundreds of pumps and excavators to be able to move the 450,000 cubic meters a day needed for consumption.

Good luck with that.

If the rains are the same as they were this year as they were last year...... we are screwed. We will be lucky to have 30% of capacity to start the next dry season with.

Edited by Brewster67