Do you pay her a salary? (I do.)

PT4

So my GF is a hooker because I pay her?

You said it, mate

Although it was a short sentence, you didn't notice the "?" ? Many frustrated people on this forum and the moment a member mentions his relation with an ex bar girl it's like the dogs get fresh meat. It's funny how some try desperately to keep up their appearances. Do you think it makes you a better or more important person if you are married to a graduate or a hiso? It's like the less you give to your wife the higher you climb in the rankings.

I'm not keeping up appearances. Not paying a woman to be with you isn't "an appearance" in most people's microcosm of life.

I most people's microcosm of life, men and women date, marry and/or screw each other because they like/love each other.

Guys like you, who choose to pay a woman a salary to be with you, aren't doing anything wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Now, you can place whatever label you like on that arrangement because that's your prerogative but you can't blame people for laughing and lampooning you because such an arrangement isn't in keeping with the "norm".

A lot of you guys tell each other that it's "normal" to pay a woman to be with you here but I don't see ordinary Thai guys doing it so I think you and all the other foreign guys doing it just tell yourself it's normal to make yourselves feel less seedy.

Come out to my village and see what goes on. In fact, just about every village for 50km around me would be the same. So many Mai Noi's, so many guys paying for sex (not with women but other young men). My neighbour gets paid daily and he is my partners Uncle. I watch him come home giving his wife the 350 baht he earns. It is common out here in the backward villages. My partners Mother is a Mai Noi. Has been for 20 years but that does not make her a whore. Over Songkran, she and the wife were drinking together for two days and they well know what has been going on for the last 20 years.

So I gather it must have been the same when I was living in the West when I was married. I went to work, wife stayed home and took my money. Must she be a whore then?

It is no different here. I earn money; my partner runs her business but I still pay for general things in life. So, again, she is a whore. Wow, it is getting expensive now.

Grow up guys. Sure, I still go out and play up every few weeks. Sometimes I pay, and sometimes I do not. So who is the whore? Maybe me? Money is just a means to an end. Those that have got it can do what they wish. Those that have not got it whine like a dog kicked and I see a lot of that going on here in Thailand. Money gives you options to either have a life or not.

I most certainly do not live 'with the norm' (and do not want to a life like this; way too boring) as quoted above and why should I as we all make happiness suit the way we want to live.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it was a short sentence, you didn't notice the "?" ? Many frustrated people on this forum and the moment a member mentions his relation with an ex bar girl it's like the dogs get fresh meat. It's funny how some try desperately to keep up their appearances. Do you think it makes you a better or more important person if you are married to a graduate or a hiso? It's like the less you give to your wife the higher you climb in the rankings.

I'm not keeping up appearances. Not paying a woman to be with you isn't "an appearance" in most people's microcosm of life.

I most people's microcosm of life, men and women date, marry and/or screw each other because they like/love each other.

Guys like you, who choose to pay a woman a salary to be with you, aren't doing anything wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Now, you can place whatever label you like on that arrangement because that's your prerogative but you can't blame people for laughing and lampooning you because such an arrangement isn't in keeping with the "norm".

A lot of you guys tell each other that it's "normal" to pay a woman to be with you here but I don't see ordinary Thai guys doing it so I think you and all the other foreign guys doing it just tell yourself it's normal to make yourselves feel less seedy.

16 year happily together and you still call my GF a whore ?! Can we meet somewhere so you can tell this in my face?

Oh, grow up

Maybe you should use channel that energy into developing your reading comprehension because I don't remember calling your GF.

In fact, I distinctly remember you using the word

You should apologise

I do apologize, I am also working on the "grow up" part but it's not easy to find the right fertilizer. Also the best regards from my GF.

As a test , tell your wife something terrible happened back home and you will be without your salary/pension for the next 6 months. "But don't worry darling we'll manage somehow". Then let's see if everyone will contribute in the family so you will survive , the hard working relatives that you helped in the past financially , will they return the favor ? Will your wife be there for you and be understanding about the money situation ? Maybe even try to find a job ? After 6 months you will probably be a lot wiser.

As a test , tell your wife something terrible happened back home and you will be without your salary/pension for the next 6 months. "But don't worry darling we'll manage somehow". Then let's see if everyone will contribute in the family so you will survive , the hard working relatives that you helped in the past financially , will they return the favor ? Will your wife be there for you and be understanding about the money situation ? Maybe even try to find a job ? After 6 months you will probably be a lot wiser.

you decided to marry someone and then decide to come up with a test afterwards? Good plan!

So you suggest lying to the wife as test for her honesty. Great plan. Bet your relationships have turned out well.

TH

You said it, mate

Come out to my village and see what goes on. In fact, just about every village for 50km around me would be the same. So many Mai Noi's, so many guys paying for sex (not with women but other young men). My neighbour gets paid daily and he is my partners Uncle. I watch him come home giving his wife the 350 baht he earns. It is common out here in the backward villages. My partners Mother is a Mai Noi. Has been for 20 years but that does not make her a whore. Over Songkran, she and the wife were drinking together for two days and they well know what has been going on for the last 20 years.

So I gather it must have been the same when I was living in the West when I was married. I went to work, wife stayed home and took my money. Must she be a whore then?

It is no different here. I earn money; my partner runs her business but I still pay for general things in life. So, again, she is a whore. Wow, it is getting expensive now.

Grow up guys. Sure, I still go out and play up every few weeks. Sometimes I pay, and sometimes I do not. So who is the whore? Maybe me? Money is just a means to an end. Those that have got it can do what they wish. Those that have not got it whine like a dog kicked and I see a lot of that going on here in Thailand. Money gives you options to either have a life or not.

I most certainly do not live 'with the norm' (and do not want to a life like this; way too boring) as quoted above and why should I as we all make happiness suit the way we want to live.

Speechless.

You said it, mate

Speechless.

Speechless... hmmm, no never from you...

What I am speechless about is how others think just about everyone here is a whore both here and it seems in the West if you pay to do anything. My partners Moo Ban is desperately poor and maybe you have not seen that yet in your travels here. It is not much better than a rubbish dump but it is her home. When you see what abject poverty does, looking for a better way out does not surprise me. Thailand has 7.3 million rural poor with projections that another 6.7 non-rural remain vulnerable to living under the poverty line. So that is 14 million people living close to or under the World Banks idea of poverty? That is over half the population of my home country.

A lot of you guys tell each other that it's "normal" to pay a woman to be with you here but I don't see ordinary Thai guys doing it ........

And I see lots of Thai guys doing it, so can only suggest you're not very observant, or don't interact with Thai guys all that much.

My 3 closest Thai neighbors, Two hand cash to their wives. One pays 10k/month, one gives all his wage every pay day, the third pays for everything else, his wife has a decent job, spends all her salary on herself. He pays for absolutely everything, housing, schools, cars, food, utils.

don't interact with Thai guys all that much.

Now we get to the root of the ploblem, dont interact with Thai guys.

I wonder how many reading this can actually speak Thai?

I wonder how many are allowed to talk to Thai men?

Believe me, they aint the monsters these girls would have you believe, these Thai guys have been there, done that and seen it all before.

Most falangs should do a crash course with Thai men before ever considering taking up with a Thai woman, believe me, you wont like what you hear.

Well said that man above.

Here in Bkk, one Thai woman told me, I dont know what my husband earns.

Another Thai man, gives his mrs 6,000 baht per month, he pays everything.

Another told me, check banchee tuk duan, check her bank book every month.

Another pays his mrs nothing, he spends his money going drinking and whoring, the children living at home pay.

Yes its common upcountry for these alcoholic types to come home every day and hand over their 300 baht pay to the wife, who will give them 50 baht for lao kao and cigarettes.

Due dilligence, its not the girls that are the ploblem, its the baggage they bring.

Five million is totally false...

• An academic study estimated 200,000 sex workers in Thailand everything from street girls, to karaoke bars, hotels, thai only brothels, tea houses, ramwong bars, to high end membership clubs for Thais only with a total value added annually to the economy of 48,220m thb ( Thailand's illegal economy and public policy (ISBN 9747100754) Pasuk Phongpaichit etc all )
  • World Heath Organisation estimated 200,000 in 2001
  • A 2015 study by NGOs put it at about 250,000

Follow the links on Wikipaedia to find out where that figure

from WHO actually comes from, how it is configured, how probabilities and classifications are determined etc.

200,000 what exactly?, read the original report

NGOs have to come out thai governmnet friendly so they get to operate.

In a country where 10% or so are officially below the world bank poverty line, another 1/3 pretty close to it. All the immigrants from Burma, Cam, Lao,

30 million tourists last year

You seriously think there would only be 200,000 in the sex industry in Thailand

Very roughly that would only represent about 1 in 60 girls in that 15- 40 age range across the whole population

Static population of Chonburi alone is 1 1/2 million

Then there is what happens day to day in rural Thailand, a falang can live there for decades, but if he only bothers talking to the wife and doesnt concern himself with the locals or bother learning the language, he can go those decades having no clue.

Which I think is the case with some TVF members

Spend 5 minutes looking at a Wikipaedia page which itself has warnings on errors at the top, you read on it WHO says there are 200,000, oh no reason to question that

All dependant on classification of course

5 million would be closer to reality than 200,000

What I am speechless about is how others think just about everyone here is a whore both here and it seems in the West if you pay to do anything. My partners Moo Ban is desperately poor and maybe you have not seen that yet in your travels here. It is not much better than a rubbish dump but it is her home. When you see what abject poverty does, looking for a better way out does not surprise me. Thailand has 7.3 million rural poor with projections that another 6.7 non-rural remain vulnerable to living under the poverty line. So that is 14 million people living close to or under the World Banks idea of poverty? That is over half the population of my home country.

What is the point then paying a monthly allowance since than since you don't even have the illusion that woman will be faithful to you?

What's the point of getting married, having kids if the village you described is just a one big whorehouse?

Remember, this is how you described the village you live in.

Is it you that said many Westerners who married bargirls have been happily married for many years and have kids at the university, blah, blah, blah..... kind of difficult to imagine this happy family growing in a village like this. So, that poster is obviously lying.

What is the point then paying a monthly allowance since than since you don't even have the illusion that woman will be faithful to you?

What's the point of getting married, having kids if the village you described is just a one big whorehouse?

Is it you that said many Westerners who married bargirls have been happily married for many years and have kids at the university, blah, blah, blah..... kind of difficult to imagine this happy family growing in a village like this. So, that poster is obviously lying.

The majority (65%) of people who get married in the West have wives that are not faithful (Divorce rate 50% added to the female affair rate 15%). So I would not get to high and mighty about fidelity. There is only a minority chance that anyone's wife will be faithful regardless of her previous job history.

Only seems that way becuase you would put jealousy first.

What's the point of having kids if the village is one big white house?

What's that got to do with the kids? Not like they ever choose who their parents are.

Are you the type that would throw the wife and kids away if you thought, or she actually did have sex with another guy?

That would be you values, your rules. Wouldn't necessarily make things more likely to be better in the long run.

See home some of them live, no real surprise they should turn to prostitutes.

You can be as judgemental about it as you want. Still doesn't change reality

My village and surrounding area is pretty well much a basket case but mainly due to social, economic reasons. It certainly is no 'floating whorehouse' as you kindly say it is but for most there, it is how many live.
Friends of mine that have done well do not live in this type of environment. Most, in fact, moved away from the local village and currently live in closed gated estates. Others have taken their children overseas or sent them to Grandparents to finish or start degrees. They want a good education for the child.
I have no reason to lie. I could ask members I know and who are in my social circle on TV to back me up that know me well.
I do not pay money to my partner but we have vested business interests but when we first got together,I helped her. She does well enough within her business to care for her family. My partner is transgender (and I have been very open about that on Thai Visa for over the current eight years that we have been together so it is of no surprise to anyone). Our life is very stable and we have a good understanding of where we both stand. The only thing I have done of note is put her sister through a decent education system and she has almost completed her degree at Chiang Mai University.
I certainly do not have a "normal" relationship due to my sexual orientation of being bisexual. I like both girls and Ladyboys and was straight before I moved permanently to Thailand and meeting my current partner. Yes, we all are very different and I think you miss that point. The amount of guys I know (farang) that are in similar relationships to me (or in a long-term gay relationship) may astound you.
I have a work permit and do duties with an NGO. Life is perfect for me but I am smart enough to know life is like anywhere else; it is what you make of it. I know many farang businesspeople that have girlfriends here; some pay and some don't. Not to mention other farang women that I also know that are in gay relationships with Thai women.
Not everyone here fits into a perfect box and we certainly are all not perfect and I certainly have 'thick skin' otherwise you would have been laughed off TV fourms a long time ago.

[

I don't need to come out to a village.

If you stopped paying "for general things in life", would she chuck you? If she would, then you have your answer

The majority (65%) of people who get married in the West have wives that are not faithful (Divorce rate 50% added to the female affair rate 15%). So I would not get to high and mighty about fidelity. There is only a minority chance that anyone's wife will be faithful regardless of her previous job history.

Did you find any other daft rationalisations in that fortune cookie? Something like, you're gonna die anyway, so don't bother bagging up when you have

sex with hookers?

[

I don't need to come out to a village.

If you stopped paying "for general things in life", would she chuck you? If she would, then you have your answer

Not a chance. I already have the answer. My general things are just food an going out. Her business pays the rent on the shop, we own our house. Very little I need to pay for apart from school fees but the last field trip that cost 15,000 baht, she paid for from business profits.

I would not leave her as she is for my personal tastes, one in a million. I gave my partner her start in life an business an loves me immensely. It's her birthday today an we are having a wonderful time. I cannot ask for more.

My partner is transgender (and I have been very open about that on Thai Visa for over the current eight years that we have been together so it is of no surprise to anyone).

Oh? So what was your last username, then? 8 years and only 215 posts?

I post rarely. This topic has been interesting to me an I decided to post. If you wish, I can get a longstanding member to PM you who knows me well an confirm? This user name may have been made 3 years ago or so. I cannot remember other's I have used. Maybe Katok or Katokman but in all honesty, that was many years ago an I do not remember as TV is not important to me an just a hobby.

My partner is transgender (and I have been very open about that on Thai Visa for over the current eight years that we have been together so it is of no surprise to anyone).

Not to mention "Member Since 2014-10-14".

Did you find any other daft rationalisations in that fortune cookie? Something like, you're gonna die anyway, so don't bother bagging up when you have

sex with hookers?

If you want a faithful friend get a dog.biggrin.png

Note: I said in my post "over 8 years". I was implying to those in my social circle, my family an friends. Not specifically only TV. My bad an a honest mistake for NOT be specific.

You can go back in my post count an from the very beginning and I was upfront about this. I think I had one previous username about 12 years ago or so but only posted one or two things an I honestly cannot remember.

I have only been posting on TV a little more recently due to having time on my hands but really, with such bickering, I wonder if it is worth the time an hassle.

Note: I said in my post "over 8 years". I was implying to those in my social circle, my family an friends. Not specifically only TV. My bad an a honest mistake for NOT be specific.

You can go back in my post count an from the very beginning and I was upfront about this. I think I had one previous username about 12 years ago or so but only posted one or two things an I honestly cannot remember.

I have only been posting on TV a little more recently due to having time on my hands but really, with such bickering, I wonder if it is worth the time an hassle.

Its all good mate. Infact iam slightly envious you are chopping a geezer, you'd be saving a bomb on tampons and panadol !!

Its all good mate. Infact iam slightly envious you are chopping a geezer, you'd be saving a bomb on tampons and panadol !!

All good as well. No, it is more expensive then running a girl. Makeup, hair extensions, botox, hormonal injections.. etc, etc...

• An academic study estimated 200,000 sex workers in Thailand everything from street girls, to karaoke bars, hotels, thai only brothels, tea houses, ramwong bars, to high end membership clubs for Thais only with a total value added annually to the economy of 48,220m thb ( Thailand's illegal economy and public policy (ISBN 9747100754) Pasuk Phongpaichit etc all )

from WHO actually comes from, how it is configured, how probabilities and classifications are determined etc.

In a country where 10% or so are officially below the world bank poverty line, another 1/3 pretty close to it. All the immigrants from Burma, Cam, Lao,

Very roughly that would only represent about 1 in 60 girls in that 15- 40 age range across the whole population

Then there is what happens day to day in rural Thailand, a falang can live there for decades, but if he only bothers talking to the wife and doesnt concern himself with the locals or bother learning the language, he can go those decades having no clue.

Spend 5 minutes looking at a Wikipaedia page which itself has warnings on errors at the top, you read on it WHO says there are 200,000, oh no reason to question that

You still haven't come up with the link to your magical 5 million figure. Because it doesn't exist.

Five million is more than half the population of London or New York. Obviously you don't have any idea of scale and how many people that is. Or how ridiculous it is to say 1 in 6 Thai women is a whore. Ever telling that to a Thai person? Good luck with that...

The economic study by Pasuk Phongpaichit (one of the most respected academics in Thailand) takes into account all activities between Thais only and westerners. Again, the number is roughly 200,000 or women aged 15-29, or 2% of all 15 - 29 year-olds. With another 20,000 - 30,000 underage girls.

This is much more believable.

You still haven't come up with the link to your magical 5 million figure. Because it doesn't exist.

Five million is more than half the population of London or New York. Obviously you don't have any idea of scale and how many people that is. Or how ridiculous it is to say 1 in 6 Thai women is a whore. Ever telling that to a Thai person? Good luck with that...

The economic study by Pasuk Phongpaichit (one of the most respected academics in Thailand) takes into account all activities between Thais only and westerners. Again, the number is roughly 200,000 or women aged 15-29, or 2% of all 15 - 29 year-olds. With another 20,000 - 30,000 underage girls.

This is much more believable.

If Phongpaichit is correct and the number is 200,000 and Farang sex industry is 5% of the total industry then the total is 4 million.

If Phongpaichit is correct and the number is 200,000 and Farang sex industry is 5% of the total industry then the total is 4 million.

200,000 including both Thai and Farang industry

Sorry I misunderstood you. If he is correct and it is 200,000 how long do people stay in the industry? I'd say 3 years on average. Some less some more but on the average it has been my experience watching turnover a number of different bar areas I'd say 3 years. Given a 20 year age range that would mean about 7 x 200,000 or 1.4 million.

200,000 including both Thai and Farang industry

Girls servicing Thai men, there is no way in hell, the figure is that low, out in the provinces, its everywhere

Phongpaichit is an economist and author not a research scientist, that figure comes from a piece written for the ILO in 1982. But truth is no one can do better than a ball park figure, no matter which country, its impossible to track.

Even EPCAT says there are upwards of a couple hundred thousand child prostitutes in Thailand

From peasant girls to Bangkok masseuses.

Author:

Phongpaichit P

Source:

Geneva, Switzerland, International Labour Office, 1982. viii, 80 p. (Women, Work and Development 2)

Abstract:

This report on Thai women working in the illegal but flourishing "massage," or "special service" (prostitution) business in Bangkok analyses the social and economic origins of this phenomenon, the women's lifestyle, and their village background. Fifty young women were interviewed, and several of their families in rural villages were traced. There are several reasons for the growth of the massage parlors. 1) In Thailand, women enjoy high status and traditionally earn a substantial portion of the family income from an early age. Migrants to the city send remittances back which are used primarily for daily expenses, especially by landless families. 2) Thailand has chosen a development strategy which develops urban industry, international trade and private enterprise, while neglecting services and development of rural areas, exacerbating the condition of the rural poor. 3) In recent decades, the upper class has adopted the custom of polygamy and concubinage as a status symbol, a practice wealthy men aspire to. Recently, despite government crackdowns, short-term male tourists provided 11% of Thailand's foreign exchange earnings. Estimates of the number of women in prostitution in Bangkok range from the official government figure of 18,000, to the police figure of 400,000 and higher. Some migrant women work as highly paid prostitutes, others in "massage parlors", and the less fortunate in parlors with no massage facilities. Some are recruited into the business by agents who lend their families sums which are paid off by bonded labor. It is estimated that women working in average houses make 25 times the wage of women working in ordinary jobs such as construction, sewing and retail. The article contains sections on the history of Thailand, tabulated answers to questions about the women's lives, and detailed accounts of their villages and families as well as stories of how they came to be massage girls in Bangkok.

Language:

English

Year: 1982

So even the police estimate in 1982 was 400,000

Then there are all the thai girls working in the sex industry in other Asian countries, particularly Japan, no one has any idea how many are in China, or how many used to be in Saudi Arabia

It would be minimum, 200,000 servicing falangs inside thailand, another 100000 outside thailand. Servicing thais in thailand - easily a million.

Archived