Tourists escape another Phuket bus fire

snoop1130

Tourists escape another Phuket bus fire
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-69249900-1461328191_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A group of Chinese tourists narrowly escaped serious injury after fleeing a burning tour bus in Karon yesterday.

“The driver was en route from the airport to Patong via Karon at about 5:30pm. After spotting thick, black smoke emanating from the back of the bus, the driver stopped and evacuated the 24 tourists,” said Lt Col Sathid Noorit of the Chalong Police. “While fire-fighters battled the fire, the tourists were taken to their hotel in Patong on another bus.”

The fire, which is believed to have started due to a short circuit in the engine, took fire-fighters about 20 minutes to put out.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourists-escape-Phuket-bus-fire/63744?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-22

With the thousands of buses in Thailand giving people rides around the country, I

do not think that it is that much more dangerous in Thailand as in many other countries.

For example in South America, and even in Central America, such as in, Guatemala, Honduras and

even in Belize, I seen buses, that have been in many different states of repair or

disrepair that were still on the roads. We rode a bust from a city in Honduras to Guatemala

that had a bullet hole in the front windshield. The driver said that it had happened the night

before our trip when another driver was driving through the night in rebel territory.

I also seen a few buses in the ditches where it was obvious that the crash had

injured people, but it was just another day, for the locals that were travelling along with us wide eyed

tourists.

Geezer

You mean the bus doesn't carry a small portable fire extinguisher?

No........

But in case of future problems more amulets will be fitted.

You Falang, no understand, Thai fire safety?

Yes it is often challenging with public transport in third world countries. I have been forced to use it in Africa, Laos, Bangladesh, India and the Philippines etc etc. I am sure their local websites also report on many of the accidents and the ex-pats comment on the dangers. One of the things that attracted me to Thailand as a base was the slightly "on the edge" environment whilst still being able to have home comforts. Things do change though when you have children and you are responsible for their safety.