Chainote - transfer of ownership

I am currently trying to sell a condo and have had a few agents come to my place to take photos etc.

One young lady came to do the same, but seemed keen on taking a photo of the chainote/deeds etc.

Is this unusual/should I be suspicious or worried? Or, would it be possible to transfer ownership without physically having the deed in one's possession (maybe a stupid question!).

I don't think I ever heard back from her.

Did she also take a photo of your passport.?

No transfer will take place without the originals of both being submitted at the land office..

Thais can be photograph crazy. Suspect that they think that is makes them appear 'Professional'

Thanks for that answer.

I still have both originals here.

I guess they probably want to do a search/check on ownership etc.

I get a bit paranoid, especially after some of the stuff you hear of here!

No transfer will take place without the originals of both being submitted at the land office..

Thais can be photograph crazy. Suspect that they think that is makes them appear 'Professional'

Thanks for that answer.

True, many Thais, my Thai son included want a copy of the chanut to take to the lands titles office to get a verification that it's genuine and up to date.

Hi, first post here, so not sure whether I should start a new topic or if my question is relevant enough to be part of this one.

The owner (jao baan) stated on the house ownership document (thabian baan) is different from the owner of the land deed (chanot) but they are related.

Is it possible for the owner of the land deed (chanot) to sell the land and house in a single transaction, without the participation and/or knowledge of the owner (jao baan) stated on the house ownership document (thabian baan)?

What happens to the registration of people listed on the house ownership document (thabian baan), after the house is sold and transferred to a new owner? What is required for children to be registered at a new address (thabian baan)?

Any light you could shed on these matters would be much appreciated.

Before this goes any further and out of control: A "Tabien Baan" has nothing to do with "Ownership or Property Rights". It just states: This is where I live". No more, no less.

Any one, approaching a Farang, claiming that the Tabien Baan will assure a Farang of any property rights in connection with said paper, has "Fraud" on his mind.

A Tabien Baan is useful, when it comes to renew a Thai Drivers License. Other than that, there is no practical use for a Tabien Baan for a Farang. Not even Immigration offices are interested if the Farang is in the possession of a Tabien Baan or not.

Again: A Tabien Baan has nothing to do with ownership / property rights.

Cheers.

Thanks for that answer.

True, many Thais, my Thai son included want a copy of the chanut to take to the lands titles office to get a verification that it's genuine and up to date.

Your turn now.

Go to the land office with the original Chanote Papers and see if it's "Up to date". If ever possible, do it tomorrow.

Beware of your "son", being in the possession of land-paper copy's.

Cheers.

Hi, first post here, so not sure whether I should start a new topic or if my question is relevant enough to be part of this one.

The owner (jao baan) stated on the house ownership document (thabian baan) is different from the owner of the land deed (chanot) but they are related.

Is it possible for the owner of the land deed (chanot) to sell the land and house in a single transaction, without the participation and/or knowledge of the owner (jao baan) stated on the house ownership document (thabian baan)?

What happens to the registration of people listed on the house ownership document (thabian baan), after the house is sold and transferred to a new owner? What is required for children to be registered at a new address (thabian baan)?

Any light you could shed on these matters would be much appreciated.

In a house book, the Chao Baan better translates to House Master. As stated, being listed in the Tabien Baan gives no property rights.

Again: A Tabien Baan has nothing to do with ownership / property rights.

Thanks for clearing that up.

If this should be a separate topic please feel free to move this post or let me know.

What happens to the Tabien Baan when the owner changes, does it get transferred to the new owner at the same time as the Chanote?

What happens to the Thai people originally registered on the Tabien Baan when the Chanote changes ownership?

What is the connection between the address of a Thai on an ID card and on the Tabien Baan?

Again, much appreciated for an info anyone can provide on the subject.

Q: What happens to the Tabien Baan when the owner changes, does it get transferred to the new owner at the same time as the Chanote?

A: No. The property is transferred at the Land Office. Tabien Baans are administered by the District Office. These two departments are not connected.

Q: What happens to the Thai people originally registered on the Tabien Baan when the Chanote changes ownership?

A: If you sell a property and the new owner (or anyone listed in the house book) does not inform the district office, nothing in the house book changes.

Q: What is the connection between the address of a Thai on an ID card and on the Tabien Baan?

A: To get an address on an ID card the person must be entered into the house book. Normally Thai people get added to a house book then change their ID card to reflect their new address at the same time.

I say normally because to do this takes two separate processes, and if the queue for the ID cards is long some people might skip that part and do it later. This means the house book could be in the new address at the same time that the ID card is in the old address.

Also if people lose an ID card then change address/Tabien baan they could end up with two ID cards. One for the old address and one for the new address. This is not especially beneficial to them though.

The connection is that all details on the Tabien Baan and the ID card are listed on the computer at the district office for all time. These details are linked to the Thai person's ID number and form a history that can not be easily altered.

Archived