Getting back into SLR photography, Canon body recommendations?

OK, dug out my ancient Canon D60 (yes a D60 not a 60D) which has been languishing in the back of my man-cave for close on 4 years.

Amazingly the battery took charge, sadly the body won't power up and the LCD looks toast anyway sad.png

My lenses mostly look in good condition smile.png

So, I need a new EOS body.

I have about a grand US to spend.

I'm looking at the 760D as an entry level way back.

Thoughts anyone, possible used bargains?

Hi Crossy

I think the 760 is a more "entry level" camera (rebel) and going to be much lighter than the 80D...

It really depends how serious you are going to be and how much money you want to spend!

If you are near a Big Camera, or other good camera shop, take the lenses in and perhaps test your lenses, on the two types, if they have in stock! I've done that in the past!

I have 550 EOS, just charging the battery, as it is dead at the moment..would be willing to part with that one if it is working!

Also have 7d and 70 D which not willing to part with! ..yet!

I will PM you later when tested out the 550 wink.png

I went to turn on my Canon 550 to check if it's working, but it is deader than a "doornail" sad.png

Guess I had left it sitting for too long, without charging the battery ... I changed lenses to see if that would help too... but it looks like the "black screen of death"

Anyone have any idea if this may be easily fixable. ??

Does it have an accessible backup battery? The D60 has a lithium button cell that you can change from outside.

EDIT Looks like it doesn't http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1224628 sad.png

Not that I can see, I just put the other battery in to see if that worked... I'll leave it a while and see if it charges something up!

Check eBay, lots of used camera gear on sale in Japan. I bought a Xpro1 and a lens from 2 different sellers and they were both in very good condition. I didn't pay any import taxes for the camera but a small amount on the lens.

Good hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

What you should buy depends on what you need, what you prefer in size and functionality, and how you’re going to use your camera. For me, personally, I like a decent size. Started out with Canon 550D a few years back, and that was way too small for my liking. Even with a battery grip. The size of 7D and 5D (about the same size) is perfect for me. With a pro or semi-pro camera like that you also get easily accesable buttons to control your camera. But others prefer different and shot in auto mode anyway.

Image quality: You can’t go wrong these days. Most new cameras (even the old 550D/7D) are great, even at high ISOs. The important thing is that you know how to use your camera, and expose correctly in different situations. If you do you can use a 7D at 1600-3200 ISO without a problem. More important is the lens you put in front of your camera.
But if you want things like panorama or HDR (automatically), you need a newer model. If you're going to shot in RAW and do everything manually, things like that want matter.
And of course: The newer cameras are much better for videos than the older ones.

I have a 70D and a 6D and a bunch of lenses. The big question is what do you want to shoot, followed by - do you need full frame?

If it's just a holiday/snapshots camera - any of the XXX D series will be fine. Pick the one you like best by weight and feel.

If you are looking to transition to something a bit more than that - a XX D series should be fine. Pick based on your needs for video, low light, frame rate, etc.

If you want to shoot like a pro - an X D series will do the job. The 6D offering a nice entry level to full frame, the 5D offering 3 options for more discerning photographers and the 1D being the best camera of them all (with a nice price tag to match) but it's an essential for pro-sports photography, wildlife photography, etc.

Archived