9 year old Bed wetting.

Sawan Chan 7

My daughter is nine and still wets the bed frequently.

However when traveling she never does.

Any advice welcome. I don't trust the local doctor's here but would be willing to see one if recommended unless it's a shrink, who are still 50 years behind the west.

Well if it's of any help, my sister wet the bed up until the age of 14, but in those days it was just considered "one of those things" and she grew out of it.

Similarly my daughter here used to wet the bed until the age of about 10 then stopped. A few things I think helped were that when she didn't wet the bed that fact was "celebrated" and she was praised; she was encouraged to visit the toilet when she felt the need and a pot was put near the bed and she was trained to use it; finally the buying of "Pampers" helped in some way, maybe because she was always with us when we bought them at the supermarket and she could see how expensive they were AND before she went to bed she was always asked if she needed to wear them, thereby making her aware that it was something which she could control.

IMO, at the age of 9 it is nothing to worry about and she will almost certainly grow out of it. All the best with this...........

My daughter was still wetting the bed at about 9 - 10 years, It is not and easy one and not sure why this happened (good family living in the UK, middle class no dramas). Some children take longer apart from checking the welfare of the child, that she is not being bullyed at school or at home by friends, I would suggest a chat to explain that it is okay, no one is angry, that these things happen, and give moral support. Also look at what she is drinking before bed, do not allow her to drink anything an hour before bed and in the middle of the night wake her up get her to go to the toilet, that is what we did and it worked, took time and effort but all ok now. (hope so anyway as she is now 19 years old and at uni) Good Luck :)

It could be that your air conditioner's temperature is too low. Low temperatures cause us to get rid off excess water in our bodies that's stored in our bladder. My son needs the bathroom at least twice a night at home as our air conditioner can be too low at times. When we use a fan he rarely goes more than once a night. Waking kids up to go to the toilet upsets their sleep patterns. If I wake my son up he stays awake for one to two hours. I would rather he slept properly. He is six and still wears nappies at night. Nothing to be ashamed of. Thai people are also much more understanding about this than Westerners, who seem to attach a sense of shame to this normal bodily function. She will grow out of it and it shouldn't be made a big issue in front of her. Good Luck...

Have you tried reaching out to https://www.bumrungrad.com/

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

One of my kids was born there, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole. They are run like a business and unless you're insurance pays it all, forget them. Total rip off.
OP-I'm glad things are getting better.

Its ran like many of the hospitals in the United States. Hospitals are businesses. If they didn't run them like such, they would go insolvent.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Edited by Newguy70

If it is a long standing problem that is gradually getting better then I would just weather it. reducing fluid intake for a few hours before bedtime may help.

If it is a new problem -- i.e. if the child was previously not wetting the bed and now is -- then a search for cause (something upsetting the child) would be indicated. but if the child has always wet the bed, may just be taking a while to develop adequate bladder capacity. Some kids do.

Your daughter may have a serious medical condition, so getting medical questions answered here is not recommended without an examination, further testing for a professional evaluation.

Mothers and fathers worldwide have ignored their children's medical problems thinking it was not serious. After the children passed away, many parents went to prison.

There are good doctors and evil doctors. However, an exam and testing should be done, common sense applied and a second opinion may be required.

My son In UK wet the bed until he reached his teens, then stopped. We tried electric under blankets which beeped when wet, to no avail. My grandson here in Thailand did the same for a few years. My wife made him use the toilet before going to bed and then woke him in the night to go again. He grew out of it and I've no doubt your daughter will.

In my military days I knew guys in their twenties who were wetting the bed every Friday and Saturday night!

On a serious note, there is normally an underlying reason for the bed wetting, is there something that is causing her anxiety? School? Bullying?

Bullying is not necessarily being beaten up on a regular basis but is anything that is repeatedly performed deliberately to stress or some kind of negative reaction from the victim.

I would look at external factors rather than thinking there is anything wrong with your Daughter.

My 10 year old step-daughter still wets the bed if we don;t wake her during the night and tell her to go pee.

If she is anxious, nervous or excited about something, she will wake up herself and go to the bathroom. Most of the time, she is in such a deep sleep that the need to pee will not wake her.

I believe that she falls into such a deep sleep because she feels happy, contented and secure.

Get an ultrasound of her bladder to make sure it's of normal size. My nephew's has a quarter of the normal capacity. Once that was diagnosed he was prescribed medicine which greatly helped with the problem. I believe it helps the bladder muscles to relax, so increasing bladder capacity.

She's probably wetting her bed, not because she's bullied in school or feeling insecure, most probably the opposite, unless she's scared to go to the bathroom alone at night time.

If so just do what stupid_farrang said, wake her up and lead her to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it won't take long until she will be going by herself.

If she's afraid of the dark , get some LED lights and have them on all night at the path to the bathroom.

important thing is not to stress her out by making a big thing of it. My son wet the bed until he was 8. I made a point of not letting him drink anything one hour before going to bed and telling him to do wee wee's just before going to bed, it stopped, now at 9 he gets up to go to the toilet by himself at night.

Firstly you must establish whether the problem is physical or emotional

For physical problems restrict liquids so no drinks from 2 hrs before bedtime

Also you may need to wake and take children to bathroom a couple of hours after they go to sleep

Emotional causes are more complex and a history of the anxiety issues for this child would need to be considered

JGV

Bed-wetting is really no deal. It only becomes an issue if the parents make it an issue and then the bed-wetting continues and maybe even gets worse. xylophone and stupidfarang are right: just treat it as nothing-to-worry-about and it will disappear on it's own when she's good and ready.

However, please don't restrict her drinking just before bed-time, it's needlessly cruel and has absolutely no effect on whether a child wets the bed or not.

Urine is sterile and essentially salt-water (some people even drink it for 'health' reasons). So my recommendation is to be very matter-of-fact about it. Get a rubber/plastic mattress cover - something that can be easily rinsed and dried each day - to keep the mattress dry and stain-free. Buy a few extra sheets and wash (or just rinse/dry) them regularly. Make her a present of fluffy, light pajamas that won't get so soaked.

It may help to wake her up once or twice during the night (assuming you share the same sleep cycles) and take her to the bathroom to pee (and maybe even another drink of water if she's thirsty), but if you forget or she doesn't want to pee at the time then - as before - no big deal! (Having a potty and a jug of water near the bed might be more convenient if your bathroom is far away.)

The more relaxed and blasé you are about the whole business, the quicker it will sort itself out on its own. No need to make a fuss or care a jot if the bed is wet, and no need for effusive praise either if it's dry. She will have her sense of pride or achievement, so if she reports to you that the bed is dry then you can say something like "oh, that's good news" and if she says that it's wet then: "oh well, never mind..." and just go get the sheet(s) and give them a quick rinse.

It's a grown-up's problem because we say it is.

Although Anxiety may not cause bed wetting in a child, it will certainly make it worst. Anxiety can also cause person to drink more fluids. So putting pressure on your child can make things a lot worst. The solution is probably a very simple one.

1) Make sure she doesn't drink much fluids hours before bed time.

2) Make sure she make s trip to the toilet before bedtime, even if she feels she doesn't have to go.

3) Reduce her intake of salt. Salt in your body retains extra water.

4) Leave some Night Lights on so your child can find the bathroom in the dark and encourage her to go at night time. Even if she has to wake someone up.

5) Don't worry about it or put stress on her because of this. Tell her it is not her fault. Sometimes at this age there bladders are still too small to retain water or there muscles still too weak. She will out grow this especially if you stick to the first 4 rules.

Let her sleep in it and do not change any of the bedding.She will then quit being lazy and get up to use the toilet..

Christ! alternatively you could beat her with a stick every time she does it. We are not living in Victorian times! Although looking around me I do sometimes wonder smile.png

Until Sanukjim's reply I was very impressed with the sympathetic and sensible suggestions.

I wet the bed until I was 14. My brother and I used to sleep together. After he got up I would change the sheet around to make it look like it was he did it. He took a right few "clatters" on my behalf.

PS. I wonder is that why he hasn't talked to me for 50 years?

Unfortunately I have experience with this problem. Here is what you should do:

NOTHING!

No Spanking

No Yelling

There is nothing you can do to stop it..it will stop on its own.

Just make every effort to limit the damage not only to your personal belongings but also to your daughter psyche.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!