PM Prayut says int'l organizations not allowed to observe referendum

webfact

PM says int'l organizations not allowed to observe referendum

BANGKOK, 27 April 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha will not allow international organizations to observe the referendum on the draft charter.

Following a request by one international organization to monitor the referendum, the Prime Minister has claimed that there has been no precedent for such an action by any country in the world.

In addition, Gen Prayut said people are not allowed to express their views about the draft charter yet, as the referendum laws remain ambiguous as to what constitute inappropriate forms of expression.

The Election Commission (EC) has recently endorsed three bills regarding the organization of the public referendum on the draft charter. The three bills determine the referendum's framework, its funding, and what is considered appropriate discussion of the draft charter and its referendum on mainstream media.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda has ensured his ministry will keep Thai people informed about the draft charter. Five Interior officials will be assigned to each province with the duty of fostering a better understanding of the draft.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Prime Minister has claimed that there has been no precedent for such an action by any country in the world."

Does a single day ever go by without utter nonsense being spewed?

Google "international organization to monitor the referendum" and there are pages and pages of examples of international organizations monitoring constitutional referendums.

Prayut says “No” to foreign observers in August 7 referendum

555_Prayut-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha made clear yesterday no international observers are to be allowed to observe the referendum scheduled on August 7.

At the press interview after the weekly cabinet meeting yesterday, the prime minister was asked about a proposal to invite foreign representatives to observe the referendum on the draft constitution, Gen Prayut said he would not permit any foreign observers in the referendum, reasoning that it was still untimely for that.

“It is inappropriate yet and I won’t allow such observation. Is it appropriate or does any country ever has permitted to observe its own referendum. Who owns Thailand ..or is it owned by Thai people. Is it enough to drag outsiders to allocate the country, to divide the country into parts. I will no longer tolerate it.”

The prime minister also suggested media representatives to look up in the dictionary for the definition of “good faith” regarding what can or cannot do or expressed as stated in the Referendum Act 2016.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161223

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-27

Wow. So I guess this decision is solely up to him?

If you won't allow foreign obserervers, you are clearly trying to hide something.

Never had foreign observers do this in other countries? Even if that were true this whole situation is unique to Thainess. Let in the foreign observers so maybe they can understand why you're doing what you're doing. They'll of course understand and give you another shining report.

There is no ambiguity about expressing an opinion about it: those in favour do so with impunity, those against get carted off.

And didn't the EC monitor the Scottish vote ( and do some sight seeing)?

Edited by Prbkk

Hmm combine these statements with last years attempts for a signal gate way internet link, meetings with Facebook and Google. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see whats in store for the future.

"drag in outsiders to allocate the country" does that incl China or just farangs?

Is it appropriate or does any country ever has permitted to observe its own referendum.

Did they have the work experience kid doing the translations this morning?

Regardless, no matter how many other countries' referendums have had international observers, that the General has said there is no precedent means that is the reason he will go with moving forward. His mind is obviously made up; no transparency whatsoever. There is no other way the actual powerbrokers in Thai politics can maintain control before, during, and after the transition.

There is no ambiguity about expressing an opinion about it: those in favour do so with impunity, those against get carted off.

Of course they were there........

This guy seems to be isolating Thailand from the west.......almost on the verge of irrational thinking

Yes, they went to Scotland for the referendum, amongst other places, and if the report by the Democrat MP is true, they've been flying all over the globe to do research, but have spent more time on jollies, than actually working.

"Prime Minister has claimed that there has been no precedent for such an action by any country in the world."

Does a single day ever go by without utter nonsense being spewed?

Google "international organization to monitor the referendum" and there are pages and pages of examples of international organizations monitoring constitutional referendums.

He make joke. We laugh ha ha.

Wasn't the last election here in 2011 internationally observed and seen to be up to scratch?

He is imposing constant military rule upon Thailand. Not even the dems want it. And in this day and age no military should have this much influence over politics.

'i will no longer tolerate it'

this is getting more and more disturbing.

this ship's captain is starting to navigate without maps or stars.

His vocabulary towards westerners is seemingly growing more hostile , and the care to portray them as interfering with Thai affairs is ironic given his power is from taking over the Nation with force.

It seems the reasoning is peppered with the new perception that even our concerns contain bad wishes for Thailand not good.

The direction Thailand is taken was predicted by myself and laughed at by others.

It's one where eventually westerners will be targeted and its no longer safe.

Property and money seized and deportation and assaults common place .

Murders and intimidation rife .

Sure this can still be laughed at .

But the warning signs that aggressive kick back will be dished out to international mingling.

This comes with the likely hood that Trump will win the GOP nomination .

And has a shot at being the next US president .

This will be refreshing to see how his asian counsel will advice him on anti American sentiments .

Burning flags and protests outside of embassies .

Somehow I think an empowered Trump might send a message to China by railroading the Thai military back into its barracks and not be as passive .

A lot of speculation to digest .

But the realities are political changes are in the air and not just in Asia .

The gruff attitude of the Thai leader might be in for some adjustment by a Red neck from New York whose mandate is to kick arse.

Lets see if this time next year the Thai general is so powerful in his role of absolute leader of the nation and to "hell "" with critics.

Something tells me sanctions might be in place by then and western hatreds more entrenched .

While tolerance for Thai oppression on its citizens nearing the point where action might be considered .

There isn't much they can do if the US threatened them to stand down.

Their choices would be comply or face punishments .

I can't see that happening .

But if this course is taken and we are treated in a manner that's not even considered .

Then tougher measures to keep them in line could be required, after all they are not legally or rightfully governing by people's mandate .

But by guns

Wasn't the last election here in 2011 internationally observed and seen to be up to scratch?

He is imposing constant military rule upon Thailand. Not even the dems want it. And in this day and age no military should have this much influence over politics.

Thailand is a ''constitutional'' monarchy in name only.n:mellow:

I have police friends and even they are saying the police loyalties are dividing. They are worried. They also say they their army friends are dividing in loyalries.

All because of what we are seeing more and more.

Their words to me... you are going to be safe in your housebut doubt step outside.

Their advice is to leave.

I am taking that advice as I hear it too mNy times now.

I really hate how this country is tearing apart. Sad.

many years past thailand was seen as one of the dominos

now it is a house of cards.

a stiff breeze may come upon it, his thinking must be quite unusual, but his public statements are highly divisive.

does he want to flood the streets with more troops?

I have police friends and even they are saying the police loyalties are dividing. They are worried. They also say they their army friends are dividing in loyalries.

All because of what we are seeing more and more.

Their words to me... you are going to be safe in your housebut doubt step outside.

Their advice is to leave.

I am taking that advice as I hear it too mNy times now.

I really hate how this country is tearing apart. Sad.

i hate to say it, you are hearing similar things to my wife's family.

when the army puts it's soldiers on the streets, maybe it be won't be photos of pretty girls giving them flowers.

i am not a fear monger, but a concerned realist.

I don't think you can have the words "Thailand" and "organise a referendum" in the same sentence.

I'll say it again: Events in a hospital and a morgue, whenever we know the truth, in BKK may blow the whole thing wide open. We have sent the children to France already!!