Clean beach, nice town

lookforzeros

The problem is in reality if you want nice beaches and the facilities such as malls and shopping then you will be hard pressed to find them in Thailand.

Good clean beaches can be found but mainly off the beaten track.

True. The only places you'll find to be clean in Thailand is where people DON'T go.

https://www.facebook.com/DirtyThailand/?fref=ts

The problem, as I see it, is that Thai people don't really consider littering a bad thing.
That probably won't change without some education (or fines???) starting with school children and wait a generation.
(as I've seen policemen littering numerous times)

But luckily there are some people listening and there are some clean beaches.
I am not going to mention my favorite as I don't really want to see it any more crowded as it already is.
But, the local government has started paying people to clean up every morning.
I go there early and there are always beer bottles and trash from street vendor food lying around.

But there is now a pack of ladies, paid by the local Or ba tor to clean it up.

AND (after many years of complaining and hoping) there are now garbage bins there, so people do have a choice now with what to do with their waste.

It takes time, smart leaders, and possibly some of us bringing solutions to their attention.

A little cleanup help by each of us isn't a bad idea either.

Why not start a club of early risers that get together and pick up trash in the morning.

Not a bad idea, but the amount of rubbish is quite large. I walk the beach here in NaJomtien a lot. A machine is needed to really deal with it. Just too much to collect by hand.

The solution is to reduce the amount of plastic stuff. Bags, bottles, styrofoam, etc. And to educate Thais not to throw garbage into the rivers/streams.

Why not start a club of early risers that get together and pick up trash in the morning.

Not a bad idea, but the amount of rubbish is quite large. I walk the beach here in NaJomtien a lot. A machine is needed to really deal with it. Just too much to collect by hand.

The solution is to reduce the amount of plastic stuff. Bags, bottles, styrofoam, etc. And to educate Thais not to throw garbage into the rivers/streams.

Wouldn't that also require a work permit under Thai law? My understanding that volunteer work isn't allowed with out one.

Wouldn't that also require a work permit under Thai law? My understanding that volunteer work isn't allowed with out one.

I do volunteer work and no one ever asked me for a work permit.

I think the problem is people that pretend to do volunteer work but get paid.

I am not sure maybe somebody more in the know could weigh in on this. I always hear people on this forum say that volunteering requires one.

Yeah, people here are always trying to blow smoke up my a** as well.

I am not sure maybe somebody more in the know could weigh in on this. I always hear people on this forum say that volunteering requires one.

Let me rephrase people whose opinions I actually respect,

Couple of points:

Re Hua Hin, last time I stayed there, the beach near the center of town had a bunch of beach horse ride for hire guys along the beach, and they regularly had their horses pooping right on the beach at the water line. Rather than picking it up, they'd just let the surf wash the horse poop into the water. Yeech!!!

Re beach litter cleanups, they're certainly a good effort and better than nothing. But, obviously, they don't deal with all the sewage and other hazardous runoff and rubbish that the Thai authorities do little to stop pouring into their coastal waters.

And of course, if you try to escape to one of the islands, you're putting yourself into the hands of the reckless speedboat and peril-prone ferry boat operators, where the worst than can happen to you is a lot worse than having to put up with a littered beach and dirty water.

Last, littering and polluting the environment is in large part a choice -- not some automatic result of human population. If the Thai people cared about their environment, they and their government wouldn't do the things they've done for so long. They wouldn't burn fields until the smog/smoke is so think people can't breath. They wouldn't willy-nilly cover their beaches and towns with trash carelessly thrown on the ground.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

When my daughter was in infants school, the teacher said,we are going to play

a game,picking up litter and keeping Thailand clean, she said to 3 kids you can

be Farangs and throw litter all around,and the rest of you pick it up.think it says

it all, this litter and dirt is caused by Farangs.

regards worgeordie

I think what you meant to say is someone that agrees with you, yes?

I'm a big fan of Songkhla..

Full disclosure: A lot of those guys playing volleyball.... are Muslims. I find them delightful. But I'd hate for anyone to be shocked.

They also know how to keep the beaches clean. Most of these were taken after storms. Normally, the water is clear green to the beach and deep blue a mile off.

post-138814-0-52673900-1462450566_thumb.

post-138814-0-71938200-1462450619_thumb.

post-138814-0-86177500-1462450658_thumb.

post-138814-0-27590000-1462450672_thumb.

post-138814-0-74839100-1462450698_thumb.

Edited by impulse

Rather than arguing with me about this why don't you go clean up the beaches? There seems to be nothing in your way.

Rather than arguing with me about this why don't you go clean up the beaches? There seems to be nothing in your way.

No point getting all butt-hurt and whatnot, I'm not the one whining about not having someone to clean up after them.

I work most every day, I don't live close to a beach, and I already pick up quite a bit of trash.

The problem is in reality if you want nice beaches and the facilities such as malls and shopping then you will be hard pressed to find them in Thailand.

Good clean beaches can be found but mainly off the beaten track.

I 100% disagree;

phuket NOW has some very nice beaches ( kamala, Surin, Laguna,Layan and further north)

plus all the shopping , restaurants you would ever need.