Four arrested for attack on British family in Hua Hin as first photos of the victims are released

webfact

ok if i can mention uk. justice.i was beaten up by a guy (thanks ex wife) lol,, who done 7 years in jail and put a guy in a wheelchair, lots of witnesses, too scared, he told the police i hit him first, end of story.could say more but won't ok

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event hitting the UK tabliods is the most most deeply disturbing I can recall since my first contact with Thailand 16 years ago. It' offends everything we know about Thai society, their culture and their respect for others. To happen in Hua Hin too far from the madness of other hotspots like Phuket or Pattaya is shocking ...a place where Europeans would bring their kids or grannies. What has happened to LOS ..is it pressure, heat or alcohol. This is a frightening moment.

BOYCOTT HUA HIN until there is justice !

Never mind Hua Hin, Boycott Thailand until there is justice in all the tourist resorts. I lived in Thailand for 15 years until I had to return to the UK due to cancer. My brother and his family visited me a dozen or so times. Even before this latest atrocity, he had vowed to never visit Thailand even though he had deeply loved the country before. I make him right.

When the son brushed against the Thai man`s arm in the bar and made him spill his drink, was the son apologetic and offered to buy another drink or did he have bad attitude or too drunk to even acknowledge what he did?

Why did the son keep arguing with the Thai man outside the bar and block the Thai man from walking away that is clearly evident at the beginning of the video? Why has the son returned to the UK so promptly. Could it be that he was advised to do so by lawyers to avoid being asked some direct questions that may be detrimental to his case?

As far as the world press is concerned this is a one sided case, the family were innocent tourists minding their own business and viciously attacked for no good reasons, but I don`t accept this as being the fact. I think it was the son that escalated this into an all out brawl dragging his parents into the situation that got out of hand, he antagonized the Thai men further by being in a drunken rage and losing control of his temper. It`s all there in the video as clear as day.

Key words..."If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

No need for the son to stay and give evidence. Well, there's no need for anyone to stay and give evidence for that matter of fact. A couple of "Wais" and "sorry I was drunk" should get the rich kids off the hook. Not as if is was as serious as the notorious falang old age pensioners playing bridge in Pattaya, Anyways, Grandma has got really nothing to complain about .... she got a beautiful bunch of flowers and a sincere apology from TAT.

'Chief Chayakorn added that there were about ten thousand visitors in the area that night and there was a police presence both around and inside the soi but the police did not get a report of this incident. He said that the public should always report matters like this immediately.'

All the police must of been drinking their coffee and eating donuts when i assume ambulances arrived to take the family to hospital? coffee1.gif

Here it is ice coffee and papaya salad with or without the added protein of black ants.

Again the word "farang" was used in above news article. This, in itself, is an insult.

Also noticed no specific charges mentioned. As mentioned before, repeatedly kicking someone in head is attempted murder, drunk or not drunk.

I have found over the years, a number of Thais are very confrontational when it comes to foreigners. They seem to wish to fight. I have started to

see on the roads, windows go down and middle finger comes out. Never saw this before.

I have lived in many countries and never seen foreigners mistreated like they are here, from immigration, dual pricing and many other matters.

I do not like this situation and have actively started to seek another country once my employment tenure ends here.

The word "farang" just means "caucasian". It is no more insulting than the word "asian" is in our language.

You may well be correct, yet any Thai I have met has always referred the explanation of 'farang' as foreigner.

When the son brushed against the Thai man`s arm in the bar and made him spill his drink, was the son apologetic and offered to buy another drink or did he have bad attitude or too drunk to even acknowledge what he did?

Why did the son keep arguing with the Thai man outside the bar and block the Thai man from walking away that is clearly evident at the beginning of the video? Why has the son returned to the UK so promptly. Could it be that he was advised to do so by lawyers to avoid being asked some direct questions that may be detrimental to his case?

As far as the world press is concerned this is a one sided case, the family were innocent tourists minding their own business and viciously attacked for no good reasons, but I don`t accept this as being the fact. I think it was the son that escalated this into an all out brawl dragging his parents into the situation that got out of hand, he antagonized the Thai men further by being in a drunken rage and losing control of his temper. It`s all there in the video as clear as day.

So it's fair game then? - to kick a 65 year old woman in the head when she has already been subjected to a vicious beating.

It appears you are attempting to build a case here as to why they got their just deserts, although I would suggest you are walking on very thin ice.

No previous convictions does not mean they have not been in trouble with the police before as on numerous occasions I have personally been witness to payments being made at the police station by relatives to prevent any records put on file. These payments have not done anything whatsoever to prevent further occurrences and only cause the relatives to lose their homes, land and life savings. The persons committing the offences re-offend over and over and these events are never bought to the attention of the media. The only way to curtail the re-offenders is jail time but this only happens when the money pit runs dry and the relatives are left in poverty with the released culprits left to go on their unobstructed ways.

Again the word "farang" was used in above news article. This, in itself, is an insult.

Also noticed no specific charges mentioned. As mentioned before, repeatedly kicking someone in head is attempted murder, drunk or not drunk.

I have found over the years, a number of Thais are very confrontational when it comes to foreigners. They seem to wish to fight. I have started to

see on the roads, windows go down and middle finger comes out. Never saw this before.

I have lived in many countries and never seen foreigners mistreated like they are here, from immigration, dual pricing and many other matters.

I do not like this situation and have actively started to seek another country once my employment tenure ends here.

The word "farang" just means "caucasian". It is no more insulting than the word "asian" is in our language.

You may well be correct, yet any Thai I have met has always referred the explanation of 'farang' as foreigner.

In your case that may apply, but if you were Black they would not call you Farang.

Though this missive was inspired by a particular response to this post, I decided to make my reaction, general. The hope is that maybe someone can explain something to me. Why is it not okay for the Thai (or us, for that matter) to use the term "farang," and yet, we use its very linguistic equivalent (in the case of the particular poster previously referenced, not once, but twice in the same passage) every day? If, as some here have insisted, "farang" were a derogatory term, then why the need for phrases like, "farang kee nok," or "farang kee niao?" Is it not obvious that the terms "farang," and "foreigner" share similar phonetic characterisitics? Is it not asking a lot for the average Thai to adequately pronounce "foreigner," or master any aspect of our god-forsaken tongue without a great deal of practice and dedication? Would this not require a certain amount of "leisure time?" This is a concept that for many Thai is either nonexistent or in extremely short supply.

Let's not be so quick to forget that for many of us, leisure, or free time has at least a modicum of "stress reduction" rolled into our actual time away from the job. And that we had jobs. It should be obvious to anyone who even accidentally wanders off of Sukhumvit that this aspect of leisure time does not exist to any measurable degree for most of the people who are native to this society. Twenty four hours, seven days a week, there is no relief from the fact that if you don't work, in very short order, you won't eat. So, unless you are a member of the 10%, you are always one disaster away from epic failure. And if you fail, no matter what the reason, your family (read:children) perish, right alongside you and your mate, if you are fortunate enough to even have one.

Relentless stress (just consider what it's like to sleep in a fan room in Bangkok, without reprieve, April-September), over time does a tremendous amount of damage (PTSD is very real, folks). Google: "Effects of Cortisol on cognitive ability." This should not excuse, but might go some distance toward explaining many of the previously inexplicable aspects of behavior exhibited by so many people here. Yes, there are truly self absorbed, even narcissistiic/sociopathic individuals strewn about. But no more than anyplace else, I assure you. As for the rest, what we see is a significant number of people seemingly absorbed by electronic devises, to the exclusion of all else. Or perhaps mired in lao kao/yaba induced lethargy. Guess what? When pretty much every aspect of your existence is painful, you learn not to think about any of them, whenever possible. You eventually gravitate to whatever method of "escape" is available to you, out of survivalist necessity. Escape from schisms between what you've been told and taught since birth, and that which stands starkly before you as a completely divergent reality. Cognitive dissonance of the highest and most institutionalized order is pervasive throughout this society. And when the veneer finally cracks for some of these individuals, it is a heartrending thing to witness. So from where I stand, and considering the duress under which a native must undergo to simply draw breath here, it practically defies reason that there aren't "flare-ups" taking place all around us, everywhere we look.

Yet, practically speaking, this doesn't happen. In the six years I've spent entrenched here thus far, I have personally witnessed less than 10 true incidents of "senseless violence," or, even road rage. Back west, that would be the count for the a.m. commute on one day, alone.

These actualities should serve as harbingers of the true resolve and fiber of the Thai people. We may not agree with many things we witness. I may personally be put off, or even feel slighted by what on the surface appears to be callous disregard and behavior towards others (hapless farang and Thai alike, btw). But I cannot disavow what I know to be true, and as a consequence, I cannot allow my respect to waver for these people. You see, adversity of the nature and degree that exists here cannot even be approximated by most of us, let alone fathomed. I include myself in these statements. However, some of us have had circumstantial glimpses from experiences somewhere in our pasts, that allow us to perceive, at least to some small extent, what existence for natives here might be like on certain levels. For 's sake, perceived nationalist supremacy, uniquely Thai customs and traditions, and somewhat anomalous approaches (by privileged, western standards) to problem solving are the only things proprietary to many Thai, and so let them keep them. Let's also afford them the benefit of the doubt when seeming conflicts arise, as to motives or intent.

By my estimation, it is the 10% that should be the focus of vitriol here. The many who, in ultra high places, were educated, and in some cases, born and bred in the west only to return here and wreak havoc on their brethren. They who should know better and still allow this sh*t to continue.

Though in keeping with TV etiquette, I guess I should apologize for both the rant and loose alignment with the topic of the extremely unfortunate OP, I am not going to do that. I guess the point initially was that although this was without question, an unnecessary and brutal event brought about by a handful of very sorry individuals, they did not write the article, nor did they have a say in the choice of terminology used. I neither read, nor perceived malice of any kind in the writer's intent, and find it doubtful many others truly would either. Additionally, I never sensed true negativity or genuine disdain on any of the multiple occasions each day that I have heard the term "farang," bandied about. At least not by Thai. Will any one else concede that the reason might be because there isn't any?

To encapsulate, it would be well advised for us to stop looking for trouble where there simply is none. Misperception, on everyone's part, is a huge causal factor in the conflicts that develop here. This response was in no way meant to mitigate the heinous nature of what happened to our farang/foreign brethren. May they each fare as well as possible under the circumstances which they were dealt. However, truth be told, many, many more daily incidents of this nature go unreported, than not. Simply because they happen to Thai, at the hands of other Thai. Thanks for your indulgence.

Fk the "adverse effect on tourism" these pieces of excrement need to be thrown in jail indefinitely. Being "drunk" is no excuse whatsoever for this foul inhuman behaviour. That could easily have been your or my mother getting punched to the ground and kicked in the head. If I got that guy in a locked room he's be f*cking dead now.

+1 spot on mate, would love an hour with one of these sub human scum animals.

its the thai way 6-1 ....cowards !!

The younger Thais who entered towards the end were not provoked. Their motives are not known.

This is a bar area and every bar area has hired thugs who are on call to deal with customers who dont pay the bill or cause trouble. They were likely in that category. These people never show any mercy. I dont know if the first 2 guys are connected to any bar but its possible they are, and the 2 younger thugs thought they were doing their masters bidding. Fact is, this awful type of assault happens all the time in all bar areas in Thailand in response to minor indiscretions by foreigners but its never reported.

Way to many Thai men are walking around like bombs with very short fuse. This Thai man had absolutely no reason to become visciously agressive, after being slightly touched by the young Farang man.

After years in Thailand, I have on several occations been very close to a similar situation. I guess that most TV members could say the same. Time for the worlds tourists to reconsider Thailand as a safe holiday destination.

your reply is so bloody sickening ... bah.gif

So it's fair game then? - to kick a 65 year old woman in the head when she has already been subjected to a vicious beating.

It appears you are attempting to build a case here as to why they got their just deserts, although I would suggest you are walking on very thin ice.

I`m not saying that the old woman deserved the beating that she got, but what they should had done was to drag their golden boy son out of there instead of trying to stand their ground with a bunch of mindless thugs.

I have a good idea what happened in that bar and how this escalated into an all out brawl. It`s what they call, a bit of this, a bit of that and a bit of the other. I think the Thai man was peeved when golden boy knocked against him spilling his drink and the son didn`t handle it too well.

"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

(quote from main story)

Lets hope that means several years in jail and not just a mere fine.

The 2 fat ones in vests are probably connected guys bailed by rich families already....they will not see anything but a small fine. The 2 skinny punks are likely henchmen/laborers who work for them and will take the brunt of it as sacrificial lambs.

The first guy in the altercation with the Wales woman should not really see anything but a fine, if that. He really did control himself, despite her slapping, pushing and hitting him. He is pulled away by the guy in the black shirt and never does anything wrong. It is the other Thais that we see come into the scene that were the real perps, and they should see the inside of a prison.

This event hitting the UK tabliods is the most most deeply disturbing I can recall since my first contact with Thailand 16 years ago. It' offends everything we know about Thai society, their culture and their respect for others. To happen in Hua Hin too far from the madness of other hotspots like Phuket or Pattaya is shocking ...a place where Europeans would bring their kids or grannies. What has happened to LOS ..is it pressure, heat or alcohol. This is a frightening moment.

Most people that have lived here for a while know that the Thai "respect for others" is a thin veneer. It's all about how they want to appear, not how they really are. They have a seething hatred for us, and it bubbles over at the first opportunity they have. Kicking that lady in the face was nothing but pure rage. Those people smiling and waiing you are walking around with that rage too.

Whatever you do, don't read the article. You might learn something.

Let's not be so quick to forget that for many of us, leisure, or free time has at least a modicum of "stress reduction" rolled into our actual time away from the job. And that we had jobs. It should be obvious to anyone who even accidentally wanders off of Sukhumvit that this aspect of leisure time does not exist to any measurable degree for most of the people who are native to this society. Twenty four hours, seven days a week, there is no relief from the fact that if you don't work, in very short order, you won't eat. So, unless you are a member of the 10%, you are always one disaster away from epic failure. And if you fail, no matter what the reason, your family (read:children) perish, right alongside you and your mate, if you are fortunate enough to even have one.

This happened in a beach resort, these guys spend every day strolling on the beach, looking at foreign girls in bikinis.

They spend every evening taking drugs and getting drunk.

I would say about 50% of the Thai population never do any work of any sort ever.

And these are the ones giving out the kickings. Not the stressed out family men in BK that you describe.

First, no way in the world anyone should be handed the beating that the woman received. Those Thais need to see prison time, and significant time!

That said, ignoring the behavior of the woman is unreasonable. Her treatment of the guy she slapped was rude and hostile. If she had expressed her anger verbally, then walked away, things may have turned out much differently.

It is their first offence. Even they did a terrible thing. A first offence for assault does not carry a prison sentence. Not only in Thailand, but all western countries also. So when everyone hears that they got a fine and a 4 month suspended sentence, don't be complaining that they got special treatment, because victims were foreigner. This is the standard sentence, including in our countries.

This was not just a common assault. The guy who kicked her in the face committed GBH or Attempted murder. The sentence for this in many countries including the UK is up to life imprisonment, regardless if first offence.

Your post implies that a four month suspended sentence would be acceptable in this case. It would not, and I think if that happens, people would have every right to complain.

"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

(quote from main story)

Lets hope that means several years in jail and not just a mere fine.

The 2 fat ones in vests are probably connected guys bailed by rich families already....they will not see anything but a small fine. The 2 skinny punks are likely henchmen/laborers who work for them and will take the brunt of it as sacrificial lambs.

The first guy in the altercation with the Wales woman should not really see anything but a fine, if that. He really did control himself, despite her slapping, pushing and hitting him. He is pulled away by the guy in the black shirt and never does anything wrong. It is the other Thais that we see come into the scene that were the real perps, and they should see the inside of a prison.

And the 'second' Thai man, wearing black shirt, was himself held in an arm lock by the son before being punched by the dad. The first acts of aggression came from the family - all three members assaulted Thais before one of them fought back. First he (black shirt) went after and punched the dad who had punched him earlier. Fair game in any society I know, although I don't condone violence. Then when the mum came towards him he punched her. Not fair at all, but she had punched his compatriot earlier hadn't she? Finally the son came toward him with clenched fist ready to swing and so he punched him too.

That whole scene was violent and horrible and there were two sides involved. It was tit for tat. The family were not innocent.

The kicking and stomping youths that came in after the three were floored were animals. I have seen dogs behave in exactly the same way. Well behaved and friendly mutts that don't look for fights, yet jump in to any fray when their larger friends attack another animal.

I don't regularly comment on these forums, but this has really hit a nerve.

I have led a pretty dangerous life and experienced / witnessed a lot of violence through my work and there is not much that will shock me.

However, I have to say that after seeing this video, I am horrified, and especially the image of this poor old lady getting kicked in the face, whilst she is already down anyway! sends anger running through me like not much else ever has before.

This is without doubt the most horrendous, despicable and cowardly attack I have ever seen reported.

I ask one question: Why are these type of attacks by thugs always aimed at an "easy target" and always done mob handed.

These young men are gutless, cowardly thugs and should have the book thrown at them.

And here is something to dwell on. If this attack was in the UK, and shown on film as this was. These four guys, when they went to jail, would be very lucky to get out alive. Their life would be hell inside and they would be treated the same as child abusers.

Outrageous attack, by gutless, brainless idiots who deserve to be put in a room with four "British hooligans" who have just been shown this video. Lets see what happens then.

On a final note, my best wishes to the British family and I hope you are on the mend with no complications. Get well soon and I hope you are able to move forward in your life without revisiting the memory of this horrific attack.

Your views and sentiments are shared by the majority of TV readers however this is not an isolated incident ( maybe with the exception of the attack on the English lady though within the Thai communities not uncommon ) . I was surprised to read that they have been coming to Thailand on holidays for many years and were unaware of the dangers of conflict with Thais ( you never know where it will go ) . There are many videos of attacks on westerners by gangs of Thais . Thailand is almost a lawless country with little or no regard to the outcome of confrontations premeditated or not . Number 1 rule for foreigners should be to avoid situations that could escalate to violence . Law of the jungle prevails in Thailand . Walk away if possible , losing face to us is not that important

An angry Thai is worse than an angry bull. The anti-foreigner feeling here is getting worse. Not only with cheating, lying and double pricing but also with edicts from the General himself. The land of smiles? Not really. Here they kick the heads in of grandmothers. Ah well, it's worse in Syria - there they chop your head off. Message to the tourists: Stay away. Lao is much more pleasant.

If those vile vermin will get less prison time than 10 years, than this country's judicial system is

a joke and a mockery, and should not be called the land of smiles anymore, more like the land vicious

thugs and brutality.....

They wouldn't get ten years prison time in the UK, so I guess the judicial system there is a joke.

In my country, when a foreigner is robbed or beaten. Someone from an organisation will go to visit the victim. All medical expenses are paid by the government. Victims are given any assistance they need by finance or amenities. There are often gifts of flowers or chocolates .this process helps victims with a nice last memory of the country. It also can counterbalance a little bit of their horrible memory. This is actually very beneficial to their healing.

Well done tat for helping these guests in your country.

anyone seen anyone from the BRITISH EMBASSY

If the British Embassy have to get involved with every case that involves British people in Thailand, then they will need to employ a lot of people. The embassy are not there to interfere in Thai law nor are they there to pick up the pieces when holidays go wrong...

Archived