Rainy season to come in mid May, weather chief says

rooster59

Rainy season to come in mid May, weather chief says

post-247607-0-60169700-1461993559_thumb.

BANGKOK: It's a good news now when the Meteorological Department says the current drought that has plagued many parts of the country and put it as the worst in 20 years will be over mid next month as the seasonal monsoon rains will start to come.

The good news was revealed by the department’s deputy director-general Mr Songkran Aksorn at the meeting of a committee responsible for solving the drought crisis.

The meeting was presided over by the Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikalya.

Mr Songkran said that rains will start to come to relieve the crisis from the middle of next month onwards in the Central Region and in the Northeast.

Then in July, rain will begin in the North and scatter all over the country.

More rain is forecast this year and two more tropical storms are expected to bring humidity to the country from August to September, he assured the meeting.

But at the meeting, the Irrigation Department reported that the water situation in the Central Plain along the Chao Phraya river remains concern.

It said only 1.35 billion cubic meters of water are left usable for irrigation areas.

It advises farmers to start planting crops in July.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161663

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-30

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its been revealed that it will start raining in rainy season!

It reads like there was a meeting and they decided to let it rain. We should all be grateful to them i guess.

Edited by taony

Pasak Chonlacid Dam now has more water in it than in the previous 4 years, At last someone has worked out how to manage the water they have and only release the water they have so that it will run out August/September.

Already started in Wichien Buri. Rained heavily for the last two days and overcast today with light rain.

Ground that was baked dry is now a sticky quagmire.Sat on a garden chair to clean my flip flops and the legs sank into the ground almost to the seat. Gave the wife a good laugh.

Been bucketing down in northern BKK for the last 3 hours, just eased off.

Unfortunately, as is usual for our village the power has been off for the last 2 3/4 hours :(

Genset is doing its job nicely, so Wifey can watch TV :)

"The good news was revealed by the department’s deputy director-general Mr Songkran Aksorn at the meeting of a committee responsible for solving the drought crisis."

Awesome job by the committee....whatever they're doing, just keep it up. It's really working.

Its been revealed that it will start raining in rainy season!

It reads like there was a meeting and they decided to let it rain. We should all be grateful to them i guess.

This was my initial thinking as well... They had a meeting and could not think of a way to get the people to stop worrying about the drought and heat and someone suggested they make this announcement.

That or!!! The went to the temple and gave a lot of food and gifts so their monk would make it start raining soon... Or, someone went to a fortune teller and got their info from them...

"The good news was revealed by the department’s deputy director-general Mr Songkran Aksorn at the meeting of a committee responsible for solving the drought crisis."

Awesome job by the committee....whatever they're doing, just keep it up. It's really working.

Committee Responsible for solving the drought crisis Action Plan (CRAP):

1. Wait.

Thailand's Meteorological Service is truly amazing, or otherwise known as the Meteorological and Statistics Section. I had no more than finished reading this thread and it was pouring down rain in buckets here in Lumpini in Central Bangkok. Oh wait, it isn't May yet until tomorrow. Oh well close but no cigar I guess, it sure is welcomed though.

Great news ! bah.gif Will have to get our yellow submarine ready. We got hit by a flood 3 years ago that had nothing to do with rain.

Two dams broke and the water came from two sides. They kept the dams to 125 % full in the rainy season and knew that the material it was made of was shit.

And I thought 100 % would be full......stupid me...facepalm.gif

"The good news was revealed by the departments deputy director-general Mr Songkran Aksorn at the meeting of a committee responsible for solving the drought crisis."

By the end of May lets hope they have a plan B