'We care about you' says Tesco Lotus, 'yeh right!' screams court of social media!

webfact

'We care about you' says Tesco Lotus, 'yeh right!' screams court of social media!

tes.jpg
Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK:-- Tesco Lotus - who have the slogan in Thai "we care about you" - have come in for a battering on social media after they wrongly accused a young student of theft.

The girl at the centre of the controversy is a student just out of primary school wearing a new uniform, reports Manager Online.

Waiting for her parents to finish work nearby she was strolling at the Tesco store in Bang Yai when security accused her forcefully of stealing the shirt she was wearing. It had yet to be monogrammed with her name, something usually required at Thai schools at the start of term.

The mother was furious and not just with the belligerent and, as she saw it, rude attitude of staff at the store after it was shown that her humiliated daughter was entirely innocent. By way of apology the store gave the upset student a cheap pencil case and a couple of wais after she had been hounded in the toilets and ordered out of a cubicle.

Comments on social media rounded on the store that has sent a letter of apology to the mother and child in a further show of contrition about the event. The letter said that Tesco Lotus care about their customers and regretted the actions of its staff who will be reprimanded over their inappropriate handling of the incident.

The mother's anger and the store's apology were all posted online and drew much comment from netizens about the heavy handed way the young student was treated.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-03

Proof of purchase?

all they had to do was look at security video

to see the girl come into the store wearing the shirt,

Robo cop / miss management of communication skills

sorely needed in thai conflicts.

Living in Thailand - How many times I've ordered food and it comes out wrong. How many times my purchases have been faulty or break soon after. How many times I've taken goods back only to be told "Cannot change, no refund, cannot."

This kid was apologized to and given a gift.

This place is overwhelmed by attrocious service and after care assistance yet when they see the chance to make a few baht they go on the attack.

Grow up.

It was not about the accusation, so much as the attitude of the guard and the store. That was probably most offensive. There was no reason why the guard could not have been kind and courteous, while trying to determine if his accusation was correct. And once they realized their error, a gift certificate of 10,000 baht would have meant nothing to Tesco. It is this callous attitude of big companies that is so offensive, these days. They could give damn. It means nothing to them, until it goes viral, then they are all concerned.

It was not about the accusation, so much as the attitude of the guard and the store. That was probably most offensive. There was no reason why the guard could not have been kind and courteous, while trying to determine if his accusation was correct. And once they realized their error, a gift certificate of 10,000 baht would have meant nothing to Tesco. It is this callous attitude of big companies that is so offensive, these days. They could give damn. It means nothing to them, until it goes viral, then they are all concerned.

Nobody's worried by a male guard following a schoolgirl into the ladies toilets then?

I find that more concerning than the accusations.

Nobody's worried by a male guard following a schoolgirl into the ladies toilets then?

I find that more concerning than the accusations.

True that. All of it stinks. The whole incident. Tesco has alot of egg on it's face over this one. Talk about dropping the ball. This guard probably had one days training. Who's fault is that?

Again, it was the refusal to take responsibility for this, that is the most offensive part. A pencil case and a wai is not taking responsibility for a big error in judgment. Tesco deserves all the bad publicity it gets over this.

Security or no security he should not do such a thing without some evidence,and as previously stated he could have been a bit more courtious to the child,what a way to behave,what are the cameras for?perhaps Tesco cannot afford the film and someone to monitor them,times are hard for POOR TESCO,it would certainly be hard if they did not have the younger generation shopping there,they should put a sign on the entrance,SCHOOL GIRLS ENTER IN JUMPSUITS ONLY.They can buy them in BIG C.

Hey Tesco wai is not proper payment for what happened to this child over a fricken shirt? I will tell you this you seen my last baht from now on I shop at big C or villa market Either fire the staff from manager down and train your staff better or you will be bankrupt but before years end. A 200 baht shirt? come on get real.

To be fair to Tescos they only employ a security company and it is their staff who were found wanting. The fact Tescos say they care could be true. I have known Tescos from its infancy in Golders Green, London, they are not that bad but when you employ another company to act for you you are ultimately responsible, which they have decided thay are. The security staff should be educated and use their intelligence both aspects are very hard here.

Lotus is very near my home so I shop there. I do however don't really care for the place and the way they operate. One example that really gets to me sometime is the timing for stocking their shelves. They stock during their busy hours. You can hardly get by due to all the boxes and people doing their work. Why don't they wait and stock in the evening or early morning ? Other issues but that one really gets to me.

To be fair to Tescos they only employ a security company and it is their staff who were found wanting. The fact Tescos say they care could be true. I have known Tescos from its infancy in Golders Green, London, they are not that bad but when you employ another company to act for you you are ultimately responsible, which they have decided thay are. The security staff should be educated and use their intelligence both aspects are very hard here.

This is not your London Tesco, girl should be worried about talking too much or they may just throw a defamation suit on her family. Not impossible in this tilted legal system.

I don't think Tesco UK and Tesco Thailand are the same company.

Hey Tesco wai is not proper payment for what happened to this child over a fricken shirt? I will tell you this you seen my last baht from now on I shop at big C or villa market Either fire the staff from manager down and train your staff better or you will be bankrupt but before years end. A 200 baht shirt? come on get real.

Blimey, over reacting?

Tesco has millions of customers every single day and I dont hear of this kind of thing too much. Sounds like some idiot security guard made an ass of himself and Tesco are supremely embarrassed by the hole affair (as they should be).

But boycotting them over this? A bit silly really. Now if they were proven to be exploiting child labour or something much more serious as a company I would understand but over this!? Really?

I guess we always like to bash the big boys at any opportunity,, the world has gone mad.

Lotus is very near my home so I shop there. I do however don't really care for the place and the way they operate. One example that really gets to me sometime is the timing for stocking their shelves. They stock during their busy hours. You can hardly get by due to all the boxes and people doing their work. Why don't they wait and stock in the evening or early morning ? Other issues but that one really gets to me.

Another pet peeve I have is that if a product sells really, really well, it remains out of stock for ages. I think the staff feel it is just way too much trouble to continue re-stocking the item. It sells well, so it is a problem item! Reminds me of the movie theaters that play one movie on 8 screens. Why? Because the demand is there? No. Because it is far less work for the person who books the films. Just order 8 copies of the film. I am going to the beach now.

Very much like another story getting much news lately, but it does not involve a store...

Another pet peeve I have is that if a product sells really, really well, it remains out of stock for ages. I think the staff feel it is just way too much trouble to continue re-stocking the item. It sells well, so it is a problem item! Reminds me of the movie theaters that play one movie on 8 screens. Why? Because the demand is there? No. Because it is far less work for the person who books the films. Just order 8 copies of the film. I am going to the beach now.

No good, there's 8 beaches with the same bloody ocean.

Actually, I think much of that failure to restock is that the successful product that is selling well is usually a better value than other products of the same ilk. By restocking the more popular product, they would be slowing down the movements of those products - the ones with a higher profit margin - that are being outsold by the better product. This is an often used marketing strategy.

97% the same company, 3% CP.

Sorry, my HP sauce is a rip off........sad.png

The smart money, ie Aldi, will never try to open: they know what a protected environment it is.

As for this girl and her mother: of course they should complain, long and loud.

Unfortunate, but don't forget that Tesco, gives employment to hundreds of school-age students, and is an oasis for millions of Thais looking for cheap, and good quality food, and a cool place to escape from the stinking heat. Tesco prices really are a bargain, especially fruit and veg. and ready cooked food such as rotisserie chicken. I suggest to all those who want protest against this petty incident that left nobody hurt, should boycott Tesco for a few weeks and shop at the local market amid the rats, and soi dogs, and the racks of meat left out all day in the 40degree heat. Enjoy.

97% the same company, 3% CP.

It's not CP it's Lotus..