Do you enjoy walking in Bangkok?

Andy2310

If you don't mind the smell, walking along a khlong like Saen Saep can be interesting: Graffiti, speeding water buses, a different view of buildings you've seen a hundred times, no buses or minivans driving past inches from you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love walking around, see so much more of this wonderful city and meet interesting people. Also i like to help tourists who are lost or trying to negotiate with people like tuk tuk drivers.

charoen krung road, chinatown in the cooler late afternoon mainly because it has stuff not found elsewhere.. good vibe. nice people

Ever tried Jakarta? HK is also not "a walk in the park".

I like the fact that Thais show respect and give room for their fellow human on the side walks, even when the irrational stops/turns/slow downs are considered.

You can walk from the corner of the Lumpini park next to the exit of the Ruam Rudi Soi all the way to that artificial lake between Asok and Queen Sirikit centre on an elevated way for bicycles and pedestrians. This is the only enjoyable walk I ever found in Bangkok.

Edited by frimu

All you poor loves who live in the tropics but find it hard to walk in the heat. Maybe you would be better dancing with polar bears.

Big difference walking in the heat of a large city vs walking in an area like the beaches of Phuket.

I walked many beaches of Phuket, it was nice but very hot since there was no shade. They need a nice sidewalk along the beaches totally covered by shadetree's.

Transforming the beach to a sidewalk covered by umbrellas would solve your problem, since shadetrees don't grow that fast.

All you poor loves who live in the tropics but find it hard to walk in the heat. Maybe you would be better dancing with polar bears.

Big difference walking in the heat of a large city vs walking in an area like the beaches of Phuket.

I walked many beaches of Phuket, it was nice but very hot since there was no shade. They need a nice sidewalk along the beaches totally covered by shadetree's.

Transforming the beach to a sidewalk covered by umbrellas would solve your problem, since shadetrees don't grow that fast.

I hear they've even developed a portable version of the umbrella... Crafty bastards.

I only walk around a bit in January , the few days when temperature drops below 20 degrees. I remember some years ago when I lived near Krung Thonburi ,it was 18 degrees , the coldest day of the year, and I walked all day to get familiar with my neighborhood. I loved every minute of it , the freezing Thais just looked at me as some sort of nutcase.

i live near rama 2 road and used google maps to design some 60 mins walking tracks down the sois. always interesting, always carry 50 baht with me "just in case", always carry a 18 inch long 3/4in poly pipe in case the street dogs get too interested in my ankles. i love it

I carry a small water pistol loaded with listerine..., this sorts out the soil dogs.

* A feral acquaintance suggested I should fill the w pistol with p##s...., swears dogs retreat at a great rate...., I'm thinking a bloke wouldn't want a leaky pistol..., (as in life) wink.png

Walking the streets of Bangkok is a nightmare. Therefore, I enjoy walking at the many parks here, especially Lumpini park. I walk during the hottest time of the day, so I use sun screen, hat, sunglasses, and umbrella as I have a history of skin cancer. The worst experiences I have had since moving here in 2013 has been walking on the uneven and dangerous sidewalks. You really have to pay attention to the ground or you will fall on the many cracks and holes. Then a motorbike will cut you off as well as the rude taxi drivers who totally believe that you are in their way. In American, pedestrians have the right of way. Not in Thailand! Walkers beware indeed.

rolleyes.gif No/ not anymore.

i am now 70 years old and must walk more slowly now as i have mobility problems.

For those reasons it is a continuous pain in the a__ to walk in Bangkok now.

I have to be careful to try to avoid those Thai a__holes walking fast and looking at their celphones rather than where they are going.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

According to this article http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/870284 the five safest roads for walking are Ratchawong Road, Chakrabongse Road, Rama I Road, Silom Road and Phra Athit Road.

I had an enjoyable walk the other week, starting from Asoke down Sukhumvit, all the way through Chinatown, finishing at the grand palace. Just make sure to keep hydrated and wear solid footwear when walking here.

This has got to be a wind-up. Bangkok is the WORST city in the world to walk around, bar none.

I wonder whether you are on the same planet let alone in the same city as me. Bangkok is a GREAT place for walking.

One of my favourite walks is from Silom to Asoke using the elevated cycle way. Beautiful parks at either end and you can walk for an hour without crossing a main road at street level or even see a 7-11 shop!

Another fantastic walk is from Silom to Khao San road by way of River City and the Chinatown walking route. Fascinating scrap yard businesses, industrial hardware suppliers, gemstone shops etc etc to see on the way.

I have lived in Kuala Lumpur, Saigon, Hanoi, Vientiane and Yangon, and I can honestly say that walking in Bangkok is far more enjoyable than walking in these other cities.

Each to his own but I love living and walking in Bangkok!

This has got to be a wind-up. Bangkok is the WORST city in the world to walk around, bar none.

Some folks love strolling down scenic, tree lined lanes to take in the fresh air and smell the flowers. For that, most of Bangkok's streets are not prime spots- though some of the parks are.

Others love scrounging through shops, alleys and rabbit warrens looking for oddities they won't find anywhere else. For which, parts of Bangkok are a true treasure.

I'm one of the latter, and my favorite neighborhood is Chinatown. The darker alleys...

Walk anywhere and everywhere. If it gets too hot, pop into a coffee shop or mall or grab a taxi and go home. Bangkok is a fabulous place to walk around. Always have a camera with you as there are so many amazing sights all around.

when younger used to walk around bkk suburbs, ended up lost on numerous occasions.

invited into peoples yards when they have been having a get together.

always managed to find a taxi to get to my hotel.

now with age i am a mall hopper

I don't walk during the hottest months in Bangkok.The cooler months,which is few and far between in Bangkok I walk.During one

Of the so called cooler months I went to the weekend market in Bangkok.Chachauk,Mochit BTS after an hour I had to get back to the BTS to get some cool air.I believe you can get heat stroke quite easily in Bangkok

Well, back in the day, I used to walk Sukhumvit--from the Golden Palace, soi 1, to Washington Square, soi 22, and back--but only at night On the way to a friends place in W2, I would stop at the four or five "Rose-named" bars and had a few in each. Then partied the evening away in W2 and at Tuwat's Bar, my friend's place. On the way back, I would invariably stop at the Offshore and the Thermae. Never had a hassle or bad experience, but this was in the '60's.

RIP golden palace, suicide dash to soi zero

then down to thai food place on the left.

1 or 2 hours of pedestrian/gastronomic lottery for life.

down to cowboy to get the memories of the soi zero staff erased.

i liked walking in bkk

The only 'enjoyable' walk I've ever taken in Bangkok is the 'skywalk' under the BTS between MBK and the other malls like Paragon. Ideally, the government would build these elevated walkways underneath all BTS lines. You are high up and it's breezy, yet also shaded from the sun.

The only half decent place I've found to walk in Bangkok is up and down the stairs and around the 3 floors at Nana Plaza. I usually complete around 20-30 complete circuits of all 3 floors every evening, as quickly as possible. As I don't drink and I'm not sociable or interested in h00kers, I never enter any of the doors, but I enjoy walking around (quickly) and observing the drunken degenerates. It seems to annoy some of the bar people who wonder when I'm going to come inside their bar, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nana Plaza is simply a great place to exercise and even has high stairs to go up and down. It's like an alternative gym, and the best part is it's completely free.

I don't walk during the hottest months in Bangkok.The cooler months,which is few and far between in Bangkok I walk.During one

Of the so called cooler months I went to the weekend market in Bangkok.Chachauk,Mochit BTS after an hour I had to get back to the BTS to get some cool air.I believe you can get heat stroke quite easily in Bangkok

Well, back in the day, I used to walk Sukhumvit--from the Golden Palace, soi 1, to Washington Square, soi 22, and back--but only at night On the way to a friends place in W2, I would stop at the four or five "Rose-named" bars and had a few in each. Then partied the evening away in W2 and at Tuwat's Bar, my friend's place. On the way back, I would invariably stop at the Offshore and the Thermae. Never had a hassle or bad experience, but this was in the '60's.

My walks from Golden Palace were in the other direction, to Rendezvous in Gaysorn, those days. And often made that trip before noon

The only half decent place I've found to walk in Bangkok is up and down the stairs and around the 3 floors at Nana Plaza. I usually complete around 20-30 complete circuits of all 3 floors every evening, as quickly as possible. As I don't drink and I'm not sociable or interested in h00kers, I never enter any of the doors, but I enjoy walking around (quickly) and observing the drunken degenerates. It seems to annoy some of the bar people who wonder when I'm going to come inside their bar, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nana Plaza is simply a great place to exercise and even has high stairs to go up and down. It's like an alternative gym, and the best part is it's completely free.

This man truly knows how to enjoy life. :)

My walks from Golden Palace were in the other direction, to Rendezvous in Gaysorn, those days. And often made that trip before noon

never brave enough to walk that way, too many thais, was it still rickshaw days.

I found that the obstacles had the effect of making me pick up my pace and speed. The faster you get around the obstacles, the less annoyance, you just pick your speed up and they are all like water off a duck's back. The sun isn't a problem if you walk after 4 pm, however the killer is auto-exhaust. Tho again whizzing past all the stuck cars on foot provides enough shadenfreud to make up even for that. But then the reality of alarming heart palpitations and warnings from a co-worker who suffered a heart attck citing Bangkok pollution as part of the cause put me off it all. Now I live in the country and the dogs and people crticizing me for being an idiot and not riding a motorcycle have made it so I just do laps around my property. But, whenever I am back in Bangkok I love to walk all the way from Sukhumvit 50's down to the Sathorn area and have a nice cool, chill out session and a read at the Neilson Hays library on the way back to the skytrain for the return leg.