Thai Education Ministry told to officially assure of 15-year, free education

webfact

Education Ministry told to officially assure of 15-year, free education

BANGKOK, 11 May 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Education to clearly and officially assure that the government continues to provide 15 years of free basic education from pre-school to high school level.

The Ministry of Education is yet to make legislation to that effect, according to the premier.

Though the 15-year, free education was not provided by the 2007 constitution, it was a policy of a major political party at that time, he said. That compared to the interim, current constitution which only provides 12 years of mandatory education, he said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-11 footer_n.gif

"... the government continues to provide 15 years of free basic education from pre-school to high school level."

I doubt that the ministry knows the difference between "Schooling" and "Education". Perhaps what he is thinking is that certain youths need a longer time for "Attitude Adjustment" so they don't make the same mistakes as their parents.

"... the government continues to provide 15 years of free basic education from pre-school to high school level."

I doubt that the ministry knows the difference between "Schooling" and "Education". Perhaps what he is thinking is that certain youths need a longer time for "Attitude Adjustment" so they don't make the same mistakes as their parents.

Or is it perhaps, ultimately, a 12 yr compared to 15 yr opportunity / chance to get a chance at the trough whilst ignoring the educational needs and rights of Thai children and ignoring the need for some serious changes to the methodologies of education?

Education is not and has not ever been "free" in Thailand. Ask any parent who is paying for books, use of computer, insurance, English etc etc. This is at a Government school.

Not to forget the "fee" to get into the preferred Government schools!

Education is not and has not ever been "free" in Thailand. Ask any parent who is paying for books, use of computer, insurance, English etc etc. This is at a Government school.

Fortunately, did not have to make a "donation" as the boy was in the top 10 in the entry exam.

They offered the place and then said "perhaps, you would like to help support the school". That was 4 years ago and he is still there. Despite the fact that I never offered "support" the school has not fallen down yet!

Really? I didn't pay a fee for my son to get into a good school.

For the English Language Program, yes.

For insurance, yes.

For school meals, yes.

For school books, yes.

For school uniforms, yes. But I send the receipt is with my son a couple of months later and get the money back,

Really? I didn't pay a fee for my son to get into a good school.

For the English Language Program, yes.

For insurance, yes.

For school meals, yes.

For school books, yes.

For school uniforms, yes. But I send the receipt is with my son a couple of months later and get the money back,

All of it? I think not.

So it's not FREE is it?

Edited by BigBadGeordie

That compared to the interim, current constitution which only provides 12 years of mandatory education

Or that compared to the 2015 draft charter which only provides 9 years of state-subsidized education according to the January 2016 version.

If the charter passes the referendum, any government funding of education beyond 9 years will be unconstitutional.

That compared to the interim, current constitution which only provides 12 years of mandatory education

Or that compared to the 2015 draft charter which only provides 9 years of state-subsidized education according to the January 2016 version.

If the charter passes the referendum, any government funding of education beyond 9 years will be unconstitutional.

Sometimes I think the PM has been mobilized as a vast distraction.

Of course this "free" education does not take into effect the head of the school's wife having the contract for the school uniforms are the aunt having the lunch room contract.Any way for the "free" schools to charge the students money to buy their new cars.This practice has been assuring that the children of the poor will be without all but a minor education.

Its the same in the West Free classes but you need to get the books on your own and rightly so

Can you imagine how the books would look after a couple of years in the hands of a student ?

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is that even high school education is not free in the most European and Asian countries, so I'm not sure that it is assured to be absolutely free of charge. However, what's the main difference between, let's say, schooling and education itself? This is an article to be read- http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/main-difference-between-schooling-and-education! Happy reading!

I have two Thai step-kids and so have had an 'insiders' look at how the Thai educational system works. While places at government schools are free or nearly free, class sizes are enormous and entry is either hyper-competitive or requires you 'help' the school, (voluntarily of course!). I've had to pay for private schools and I noticed that the fees increased significantly after Yingluck was elected in 2011, quite a surprise for me as I thought she'd promised to make Thais rich in six months, yet her government cut subsidies and everything from books and uniforms to school fees increased as a result.
My latest insight has come from my son finishing M3 and moving to another school. The system is unfair and archaic: all the entrance tests for schools are on the same day and if you fail one, you're then forced to go private. While government schools are available, there is huge demand for limited places and tests are borderline impossible. That's how the government can say it offers free education without really supporting kids.

• 1 year later...