Is a **copy** of your passport sufficient for the police, or do you need the real thing?

Just wondered. I'd rather not carry my passport around everywhere. Easy to loose. On the otherhand, I don't want to get hauled off to jail. I'd also get a copy of my current visa. PS I'm a US citizen.

It seems a rather ambiguous situation. Some say a copy is fine, others not.

Personally, I always have a copy of the ID page and visa page which has done me fine as I've never been asked for it though times are a changing and they seem to be getting tougher on checking all the 'good guys' are in their ever changing goalposts now.......

I'd say carry a copy, but should they demand the real thing, have it stored in a safe place which a trusted person can access and then bring it to the relevant place or people.

I only carry my passport if I going for a break, say, to Bangkok.

The chances of getting carted off to jail are about nil, but if you carry a photocopy, that should be more than suffice, but you will probably be asked to produce the original, within 24 hours, at the police station.

As thaitero says though, it is entirely up to the policeman asking.

That's what I do. Too risky carrying the PP around everywhere you go.

I think it's OK as long as you're not wearing clown pants or hanging out at Zoe.

Edited by Rob13

During my almost six years in Thailand I have never once been asked to show my passport. Not in Bangkok, Ubon Ratchathani, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin or any other place I've stayed at. I've never even been asked to show my green book while driving my bike; all they ever ask to see is the driver's license.

I would never carry my passport around with me, but a copy is probably a good idea to have with you. If they want to take me to the police station or whatever, that's preferable to risking loosing my passport every day.

• Like 2

....does the OP possess a valid Tai driver's license?

That is paramount. If you HAVE a Tai driver's license----they know you possess a passport.

Comprehendo?

A THAI driving licence provides no information about a person having a legitimate presence in the country.

Only an examination of the passport will reveal the existence of a valid visa, a permission to stay or an extension of stay.

Comprende?

True............................ but a Thai driving licence will serve as ID, which is all that police are likely to ask for. It is only immigration officers that are likely to ask for your passport.

If the driving license were properly issued, isn't it supposed to have a validity period that matches the Visa, or something like that?

No...... issued for 1 year then 5 years to expire on your birthday.

If the driving license were properly issued, isn't it supposed to have a validity period that matches the Visa, or something like that?

No...... issued for 1 year then 5 years to expire on your birthday.

2 years now for temporary DL (last time i renewed on a 30 day waiver)

9 years based in downtown bangkok, hanging around all the 'high risk' areas, often at ridiculous o'clock. Not counting whilst driving; I've never been asked to produce a passport or any ID.

I think the risk is exaggerated.

There are two types of "Police" to consider in this discussion: The "B.I.B." who are the police who enforce traffic rules, investigate crimes, etc, and then there are Immigrations Police who process entry/exit from the country and handle extensions, 90-day reports, etc.

If stopped by the B.I.B., a laminated copy of your passport cover page would probably be adequate. In fact, just a Thai drivers license is probably enough. They are more concerned with identifying you than your immigrations status. However, if somehow you're stopped by Immigrations Police, they will want to see your passport and carefully investigate your legal status to be in the country.

Now, what does happen if you encounter the Immigrations Police and you don't have your passport? *That* is the golden question. Apparently they *can* detain you in a cell until someone can retrieve your passport and bring it to them. However, they don't have to be that harsh, and only a couple third-hand reports over the years of that happening have surfaced on various forums. But, to me it's the nagging fact that they *can* place you in a holding cell until your passport appears that bothers me. To me, it's like buying real estate via a shell company. They haven't done a crackdown on that, but they *can*. What's to say what they'll do next week, next month, next year?

Normal highway checkpoints and random searches on the sidewalks of Bangkok do not usually involve Immigrations Police. They more likely would be involved in any raid of a facility where it is anticipated there may be illegal aliens, like in one of the infamous red light districts or a construction site. Or, in Pattaya, at pensioners' bridge games. whistling.gif

That is paramount. If you HAVE a Tai driver's license----they know you possess a passport.

Comprehendo?

A THAI driving licence provides no information about a person having a legitimate presence in the country.

Only an examination of the passport will reveal the existence of a valid visa, a permission to stay or an extension of stay.

Comprende?

With reference to your Thai driving licence, they will know that you possess a passport but not necessarily an in date one as your driving licence doesn't contain any other information about your passport apart from the number.

It is easy to forget to change your 5 year licence to reflect a passport renewal as an example of that. Not all countries keep the same passport number for life.

Much good advice above - I would add the issue of making a colour copy via one of those dubious print outlets - DONT. They will try to scan and keep your passport details - not recommended. Go to a reputable (more expensive) shop that has Copiers and ask for a copy - not a scan and print copy. Or find a mate that has a printer/scanner.

Never been asked for PP by BIB (Licence yes) but I have found colour copy of PP (ID and Visa) is enough when applying for services (like internet) or checking into Hotels. However for things like Thai licence and car rego, you need original PP and a resident certificate.

For residents, one thing (of so many) that they need to change here is the validity of their resident's certificate. Most dont bother paying 500baht for something only valid for 30 days. But if they made it valid for the valid period of your Visa (up to one year), then a lot more Expats would get one. Hey they could even make it into a card like a licence so you can put it in a wallet. AND they could make more 'tea money' smile.png Win - Win smile.png Too much work??

Edited by BB24
  • Like 1

Comprehendo?

Yes you have a passport, but a Thai DL doesnt prove you have a valid visa or extension, which is what they want to see

Comprehendo ?

I carry a copy around and a note referring to what Thonglor Police said and the date and the guys name. Now I also have a copy on my phone of Post No16... thanks ...

If it's good enough for Thonglor it should be good enough for anybody, judging by reports of their escapades...

I got asked once for my passport when I was in a car with a thai girl (she was driving) at a police check point - I said I didnt have it on me, and that was pretty much the end of the conversation.... not figured that one out yet.

to those who carry photocopies of passports (I dont) do you go to the copy shop every time you get a new stamp in the passport? for example, if I go and do a 90 days report, id get a new stamp? so then I have to get a new photocopy of my stamp to show the police / whoever... anyway, I dont bother, just a thai drivers license for me.

I got asked once for my passport when I was in a car with a thai girl (she was driving) at a police check point - I said I didnt have it on me, and that was pretty much the end of the conversation.... not figured that one out yet.

to those who carry photocopies of passports (I dont) do you go to the copy shop every time you get a new stamp in the passport? for example, if I go and do a 90 days report, id get a new stamp? so then I have to get a new photocopy of my stamp to show the police / whoever... anyway, I dont bother, just a thai drivers license for me.

You don't get a stamp in your passport for your 90 day report.

As a previous poster commented, 90 day reports do not get stamped in your passport. What many people do, and it is acceptable to most Immigration Offices, is to photocopy the header page of your passport and on the reverse a copy of your latest permission to stay stamp. Laminated to fit in your wallet, no problem.

If you do get stopped and they request I.D., if they accept your Thai drivers license, all well and good.

Up to police if copy is o.k or no..

Correct. It depends entirely on what the police officer you are dealing with considers necessary for his purpose. If he is adamant on seeing your passport and accepts no other identification document, you have to arrange for your passport to be brought to you. If subsequently accused of abuse of authority, the officer would have to justify his actions to his superiors or, at worst, to a judge.

A local got stopped near Pimai and got a hefty fine (with receipt) for not having his PP with him. I am not sure if he had a copy or not. I've been asked by the local police one time (sitting in a coffee shop). I didn't have it and told them it was at home about 3km away. They asked my name, took my photo and left .

Comprehendo?

Comprende?