Phuket/Patong beach safe to swim?

likeke

I live in Bangkok and will be traveling to Phuket in a few weeks and wondered if it is safe to swim in the waters there. I am referring specifically to Patong beach. I hear conflicting comments. I know Pattaya is not safe, and perhaps Hua Hin, but nothing about Patong beach. Thanks!

on shore winds now so there is sometimes surf and rips,

i swim everyday at kamala (8 kms north) and have no problems.

stay at the middle /northern end of Patong

Exactly - now we are entering into the rainy season and sea state will be something you need to look out for carefully.

And agree stay to the north end of Patong beach to avoid water pollution from the southern klong.

Stand on the shore line, look north, look south and try to count how many people are swimming there.

If there are less than you can count on the fingers of one hand, and you are not a strong swimmer, perhaps best to not go in.

If there are many hundreds, as is normal, enjoy the water.

If you are concerned about pollution, read all articles you can find about swimmers who have been taken ill after swimming there, and make a decision based on fact, not hysteria.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I think I will venture up to Kamala and swim there. Best regards.

Kamala is no different from other west coast beaches: check the conditions on the day and watch out for rip currents.