Child angel dolls prohibited: notice in my hotel in Laos

flyDelight

Why called an Angel child doll ?Never heard of it before .

Specifically they are called Look Thep dolls.

People in Thailand are treating these creepy life-size dolls like real children

Never in our wildest dreams did we think that owning a doll that bears any resemblance to Chucky would ever become a thing. But it is in Thailand and the trend is huge.

Known as Child's Angel or "Look Thep" (Thai for "Child God"), these life-like dolls come in the size of a human baby, and are being toted around by several Thai celebrities and women like a precious Birkin bag.

More here - http://mashable.com/2016/01/26/thailand-look-thep-dolls/#0tQFOttFciqG

Edited by OccamsRazor

The US had a thing for "Cabbage Patch" dolls for a while in the 90's, but it was mostly a kid thing. This fad will fade away, as they all do, replaced with the next thing somebody pimps out to separate people from their money.

had a young girl with one of those 'things' on my last flight from bangkok to nakhon phanom. freaky to say the least, she looked almost the same as the doll.

what really surprised me was that she did not have to put it through the luggage scanner but carried it on her arm through security.

there could have been anything inside the little angel...

The US had a thing for "Cabbage Patch" dolls for a while in the 90's, but it was mostly a kid thing. This fad will fade away, as they all do, replaced with the next thing somebody pimps out to separate people from their money.

Hey, don't forget the Pet Rocks back in the '70s.

When it comes to sheer idiocy, Thailand will always have to play second fiddle to the USA.

I'm not a "Angel Child" fan but wonder why they would be banned?

Me too so I asked the night receptionist, he said something like the owner wants to keep weird sh*t out of the place. Owner is Thai, logic explanation would be that this ban makes as little sense as believing in plastic spirits.

The owner likely had a guest (or 6) demanding that the dolls be treated properly, or complaining their dolls were insulted by other guests.

If that were the case, and i was trying to run a business I would ban them and their owners as well.

Edited by chrisinth

When it comes to sheer idiocy, Thailand will always have to play second fiddle to the USA.

LOL, yes, did forget about that. As to the sentiment re: US, meh, whatever gets your rocks off, have at it.

Last week I saw a woman on the next table making her 'Luk Thep' comfortable in a high chair, setting a place for it, ordering food for it and talking/constantly fussing with it throughout the meal.

The rest of her family seated with her clearly regarded this as perfectly normal behaviour.

I can see precisely why a hotel owner might want to bar such self absorbed and mindless fruit cakes from his premises by excluding their 'Luk Theps'. They don't need hotel rooms they need the care and attention of the medical profession.

The hotel manager is clearly a smart guy, a sign reading "mentally ill people not welcome" might cause some negative press reviews. A sign saying "Luk Theps not welcome" tells the rest of us that at least we might avoid one form of nut job in his hotel.

Stupidity has no bounds in Thailand, Im gonna start wearing a giant Turnip on my head, I think i can start a craze, sure theyll say Im crazy at the start crazy.gif but Ill be having the last laugh later eh??

This little fad seems to have disappeared as fast as it came. Even when this angel doll thing first made the news, I'd never met one Thai person who was into it. Not one. I'm guessing it would be even harder to find said crazy person today.

Why called an Angel child doll ?Never heard of it before .

People in Thailand are treating these creepy life-size dolls like real children

A lot of people in Thailand do behave like real children anyway...

Dont forget the Sea Monkey

The typical Thai superstition:The followers believe that in the child-sized puppets infected the mind of a child and treat their Child Angel dolls like real children. You wear in public around with them, talk to them and buy them in the restaurant to eat something. The dolls are designed to instruct them in return happiness and prosperity - as some celebrities of the country, attributed their success to the Dolls.
I think it's pure misunderstanding of the Hotel-Owner.Playing with dolls is nowhere prohibited in the world, maybe it seems skuril, but whats the matter.

Me too so I asked the night receptionist, he said something like the owner wants to keep weird sh*t out of the place. Owner is Thai, logic explanation would be that this ban makes as little sense as believing in plastic spirits.

He can't abide weird sh*t. But he cheerfully complies with the ghosts' eerie, blanket insistence on raspberry Fanta.