Do you allow anybody eating with you to waste food at restaurant or home ? Thai wasting food...

aber

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to be brought up to eat until I felt 75.% full. If that meant leaving some food, well, so be it. If I can't finish my portion - well - I don't. Luckily I am the same weight now I was 30 years ago. At home of course I just give myself small portions, but I cannot control restaurant servings. And I was raised in an era when food was in short supply. No over feeding in my house - a bit odd I know - but am grateful now!

I was fortunate enough to be brought up to eat until I felt 75.% full. If that meant leaving some food, well, so be it. If I can't finish my portion - well - I don't. Luckily I am the same weight now I was 30 years ago. At home of course I just give myself small portions, but I cannot control restaurant servings. And I was raised in an era when food was in short supply. No over feeding in my house - a bit odd I know - but am grateful now!

same here, growing up in post war germany. actually, 75% full was all that was on the table... and father got the big cut angry.png

my sister, born '48', still struggles with not finishing everything on the table as a result of her childhood food anxieties.

on a side note, i belief the biggest food wasters on this planet are north americans and australians. i did read somewhere (don't quote me, pls), that 40% of purchased food in oz goes in the bin.

There had been an older Thai belief that if you didn't eat all the food you bought or cooked you might suffer hunger in a next life as a result, a direct application of bad karma. I've heard it mentioned that waste is also seen as disrespectful to the farmers, although related to their best interest it may be as well if people throw out as much food as they eat.

To some extent that practice seems to be replaced in some of the younger generation by a tendency to leave food behind as a sign of having the wealth to do so, even to the extent of ordering a lot of extra food to make that especially clear.

It doesn't necessarily need to be separated by age, though, since my wife's aunt seems to prefer to make a show of having more food than can be eaten on the table to demonstrate that ample consumption is available, although she wouldn't do the same if she was paying for it.

It's funny how these two approaches contrast so directly, when it seems to just make intuitive sense to order as much food as you want to eat.

Thank you, at leas someone read my post and understands.

I love the knee jerk accusation of the OP being a "Thai Basher" when there are clear indications that a whole range of cultural factors at play.

As others have noted it is not at all unusual for Europeans to have been raised to eat the food put in front of them, my own parents brought this into play as soon as we were old enough to serve ourselves or order for ourselves.

Its not just a matter of not wasting food, when someone else is paying its a matter of good manners.

Kenk24's observation regarding poor farmers eating all their food, especially their rice, mirrors my own observation. Rice is representative of the labour and hospitality of the host, it is ill mannered to leave it un eaten.

But like the OP I've seen many cases of Thai people over ordering food only to leave dishes completely untouched (not even tasted to see if the cook has made a balls up of the dish).

The common factor I've seen when Thai people over order is 'someone else is paying'. Occasionally I've seen this over ordering when they are inviting a third party, who they wish to feed/impress at the expense of their host.

My observation is that it is a mark of disrespect to over order at someone elses expense and that it would not happen if they had any real respect for their host.

Again I think the OP has made a very valid observation on cultural differences but suggest he has a hard think about his relationship with people who over order on his bill.

The OP is not wrong in his observation nor is he wrong to say he will not allow it. Most of us 'do not allow it' by not inviting such ill mannered and disrespectful people to eat at our expense.

The vast majority of people, Thai or otherwise, understand it is ill manners to over order at your hosts expense, simply choose better company.

Me too, but the poster os talking for himself I guess ?

I am only talking about supposed educated people (as much as this country can educate someone).

So as many have said, I must be wrong, or maybe just know more than most of them.

I also have friends abused by girlfriends, wives and their families, so I understand you guys, no offense, do what you can, it's good if you can accept any BS by the locals, you might be able to stay here longer (at least until you have spent all your money in waste food).

Here's an education for you, OP: most Thais would not expect you to pay (...)

Well, I don't deal with prostitutes, but still... tongue.png

I would sympathize with the OP, but in 25 years of eating with Thai women here in LOS, THEY ORDER TOO MUCH, AND THE TABLE IS TOO FULL... SO FULL YOU HAVE TO PUT DISHES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER!

But only rarely are there more than fish bones on the table. I keep waiting for the chance to exclaim my indignation like the OP. But it never seems to come. Or I am so happy and full and grateful for real food that I forget to be upset.

The wife is the number one offender.

Never underestimate a Thai female's ability to eat, sleep, or ______.

The traditional way is to order many plates and for people to share, IT IS NOT A THAI TRADITION TO WASTE FOOD. It only happened once that we ordered food for friends and they then didn't eat it all, I was expected to pay for the food as we invited them. When it was time to pay for the food I deducted the untouched food and only paid for the food eaten. My wife ended up paying for the food, but the lesson was learned that I don't tolerate wasting food. Since then we never had the problem again and she no also order less food and even order a second time rather than ordering too much at first. As to the people who said they can't be blamed if the food is not up to standard, well I also sorted that out with the wife. At the beginning she would never complain about bad food (or service). We one day got very bad food and I complained to her, but she refused to complain to the waiter. So I took the B 60 the dish cost and tore up the 3 B 20 bills. She was shocked but the message got through that if we buy food and its not up to standard and we pay for it we are wasting money. Today there are never wasted food nor a problem complaining about bad food. Most restaurants will deduct the price of the dish if you complain.

1. You see a cow on a field. Then slaughter it, prepare it, cook it and put it on the table just so we can throw it in the garbage bin. Wrong? I don't know. Unnecessary? Certainly.

2. We ought to judge the breaking distance of a car going 60mph but not judge the amount of food necessary to make us full. Stomach is strechable - Breaking distance is not. And doing this "mis-estimation" repeatedly? Weird? Certainly.

My conclusion: People over order and leave food on a continuous basis for reasons beyond sense and logic. Possibly cultural influences that has gone awry or a personal obsessive compulsory disorder on high speed or both combined. They do have one thing in common: They share the same traits as some animals with IQ below 30.

It's not even about over ordering - some restaurants serve such large portions - I can't possibly eat so much. At least in the US you can order half portions. I don't like taking home doggy bags - I almost never eat them

It's not even about over ordering - some restaurants serve such large portions - I can't possibly eat so much. At least in the US you can order half portions. I don't like taking home doggy bags - I almost never eat them

If you repeatedly go to the same restaurant, get the same over-sized portion that u throw away every time - don't you tell them to downsize for you?

I have also noted that bring food home a.k.a "doggy bag" has a social stigma of being a cheap charlie. Isn't this a very weird social world we live in? And opposite: Ordering a lot of food gives u bragging rights, with license to photobomb every social account in the textbook.

Wow.

Just another pathetic attempt at Thai bashing.

The OP can solve his problem by eating alone ---------------who would want to share a meal with such a person ?

I sincerely hope the O/P was trolling, but something tells me he was serious.

I am talking about Thai ALWAYS ordering more than they can eat and ALWAYS wasting dishes at restaurant.

It's hard to imagine any Thai would want to eat with the OP more than once, let alone ALWAYS.

On the rare occasion something meaningful goes uneaten at a restaurant, it usually goes home in a requested "doggie" bag for later human consumption or for the dog.

Some of you blokes are soooooooo stuck in farangland...........laugh.png

Says the man who has offered no insights into Thai culture and who's only other contribution to the thread is some mention of "Christmas Lunch" (back in 'Farangland').

If the OP is over 55-60 and from Europe he may have been brought up in a time when food (and a lot of other things) was scarce and people were still living with recent memories of rationing and shortages. I was, and I also find it very hard to throw anything away or to be wasteful or even to buy anything that I dont really want or need. My brother is 10 years younger than me and is the complete opposite as by the time he was growing up mass consumerism had taken hold and "you had never had it so good".

So to answer the question, yes it would annoy me if someone wasted food that was bought (assuming it tasted OK). Stupid people who dont know what they are doing always annoy me. But would I show my annoyance? No. I'd much rather eat alone anyway and that way the problem simply doesn't arise.

I asked a Brit friend of mine why his hamburgers were 50% bread. His response was it was his habit because meat was rationed in WWII--of course I laughed and told him WWII was over 70 years ago and he wasn't even born when WWII was on. Finally he said it was his mother's practice, and he continued it. Perhaps the penchant to not waste food does come from people who did not have all the food they wanted. Or, it could be the OP is so tight he squeaks.

I have never noticed a Thai really wasting food-- at times some food is left on the plate, but I do that too, especially if I did not like the dish or I had ordered more than I needed; and you can always take it home.

Do you guys make people fill in a written proposal for what dishes they would like to order?

Would that be a "pre-sup" agreement.

Funny. The OP should break out a contract every time he dines with someone. "The undersigned agrees that all food ordered and delivered will be consumed in its entirety, or at the very minimum, 99%, within a specified time period (excluding garnishings, bones, silverware, and all other items I deem inedible). Failure to consume all food items at the level specified in this agreement will result in a shitstorm and non-invite for future dining with yours truly. Terms non-negotiable."

Actually the choice of restaurants is not always mine - if it were I would choose somewhere I know has smaller portions. Serving sizes have crept up substantially in case anyone hadn't noticed! No wonder there are so many fatties around now. I don't like wasting food but I have a small appetite - which is why I don't eat out too often....

I love the knee jerk accusation of the OP being a "Thai Basher" when there are clear indications that a whole range of cultural factors at play.

As others have noted it is not at all unusual for Europeans to have been raised to eat the food put in front of them, my own parents brought this into play as soon as we were old enough to serve ourselves or order for ourselves.

Its not just a matter of not wasting food, when someone else is paying its a matter of good manners.

Kenk24's observation regarding poor farmers eating all their food, especially their rice, mirrors my own observation. Rice is representative of the labour and hospitality of the host, it is ill mannered to leave it un eaten.

But like the OP I've seen many cases of Thai people over ordering food only to leave dishes completely untouched (not even tasted to see if the cook has made a balls up of the dish).

The common factor I've seen when Thai people over order is 'someone else is paying'. Occasionally I've seen this over ordering when they are inviting a third party, who they wish to feed/impress at the expense of their host.

My observation is that it is a mark of disrespect to over order at someone elses expense and that it would not happen if they had any real respect for their host.

Again I think the OP has made a very valid observation on cultural differences but suggest he has a hard think about his relationship with people who over order on his bill.

The OP is not wrong in his observation nor is he wrong to say he will not allow it. Most of us 'do not allow it' by not inviting such ill mannered and disrespectful people to eat at our expense.

The vast majority of people, Thai or otherwise, understand it is ill manners to over order at your hosts expense, simply choose better company.

For quite a long time when SWMBO and I were eating out she would always order much more than she could eat. I would not mind so much if it sill tasted good the next day at home but it doesn't.

So one time when we went to MK I ordered my usual single item and she ordered about 15 (many were small but still 15) so I insisted that she finished all she had ordered. Since then when we go out together, unless we plan to take some home or there are guests, she doesn't over order, or only just a little

I suppose you have a right to control the rations of your prisoners dinner guests, and oh what a delight it must be to kiss your arse for a meal dine with you!

As to what others do at their table .. really none of your concern, is it?

I once saw a person order fresh Maine lobster, flown in from America that morning, and eat only the claws.

Cost a fortune .. but not my dime ... so not my worry.

I strongly suggest you get back on your meds and stay away from people trying to have happy sabai sabai lives.

I've been in a situation or two where Thais would order and then 'doggy bag', those I've forgotten and never include in any invitation to dine out again. Mostly I'm either given so much I can't eat or chastised because I've given the leftovers to a passing soi dog. Having said that, I've seen what you describe, rarely, and believe it's an 'eyes bigger than stomach' thing.

Many years ago i went on a blind date, she asked if her aunt could come. Two aunts arrived and between them they ordered so much food it could have fed10 people.

I would now order with them asking what they wanted, order, eaten, order more. Never lets try the whole menu, we are paying, so we can leave it or take it home.

When I go to a restaurant I worry about what I am going to eat and drink. I couldn't give a damn what the person on the next table is eating or whether they eat it all or not.

I would be much more likely to slap someone who is watching what and how much I eat.

Is it your culture to be such a nosey person ? or are you just some busy body who cant help himself ?

Millions of people in this world not having food is not your concern, right ?

Please give me some lessons only after you will have learnt what is smart or not to do.

No wonder why some Thai think they can cheat foreigners easily... just read this thread and you understand !

I suppose you have a right to control the rations of your prisoners dinner guests, and oh what a delight it must be to kiss your arse for a meal dine with you!

As to what others do at their table .. really none of your concern, is it?

I once saw a person order fresh Maine lobster, flown in from America that morning, and eat only the claws.

Cost a fortune .. but not my dime ... so not my worry.

I strongly suggest you get back on your meds and stay away from people trying to have happy sabai sabai lives.

Edited by aber

Seems like a lot of replies here attacking the OP but I don't think there'd be any argument anyone I knows live in Thailand that Thais are greedy and opportunistic when the farang is paying. I just think they're hopeless with anything to do with money. When I first met my missus she'd be lucky to scrape together 10 stang change. Money was important then. Now she has 1000, 500 baht notes just thrown in the pockets of her carry bag. Too lazy to put in her wallet. 1000 baht fell out on the ground this morning at Makro. I don't know if it's greedy or what but rural thais definitely have an easy come easy go attitude, more so when it's money they haven't sweated foe themselves