Russian deputy honorary consul for Phuket dies in car crash

webfact

Russian deputy honorary consul for Phuket dies in car crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1463544160_1-org.jpg
Police believe Mr Snti fell asleep at the wheel when his car struck the back of the truck. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Russian Deputy Honorary Consul for Phuket Santi Udom-kiratak died in a car crash in Wichit early this morning (May 18).

Police were called to the scene, near the Wat Naka temple, at 2am.

They arrived to find rescue workers using hydraulic cutters to recover Mr Santi, unconscious and unresponsive, from his wrecked Mercedes-Benz, which had slammed into the back of a six-wheeled truck.

Mr Santi was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police suspect Mr Santi, 50, fell asleep while driving.

“His body was taken to Vachira Hospital for doctors there to confirm the cause of death,” said Lt Patcharee Wongboon of the Wichit Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-deputy-honorary-consul-for-phuket-dies-in-car-crash-57477.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-18

Could it be the case of the man was without his wits about him to hit the truck so hard that not even

MB structure and air bags have saved him, from the 17" low profile mags and tiers, it looks like

a hoon car.....

Could it be the case of the man was without his wits about him to hit the truck so hard that not even

MB structure and air bags have saved him, from the 17" low profile mags and tiers, it looks like

a hoon car.....

Please try to show some decency and respect someone just died would you like to be commented this way?

a hoon car.....

Nothing to do with the cars wheels, Mercedes structure or air bags. Have a look at the photo in the Phuket Gazette. Looks pretty obvious that the rear corner of the truck entered the cabin through the windscreen. Even at a relatively slow or moderate speed, no airbag or seat-belt is gonna protect what amounts to a face height impact.

a hoon car.....

Nothing to do with the cars wheels, Mercedes structure or air bags. Have a look at the photo in the Phuket Gazette. Looks pretty obvious that the rear corner of the truck entered the cabin through the windscreen. Even at a relatively slow or moderate speed, no airbag or seat-belt is gonna protect what amounts to a face height impact.

Had he been traveling at a slow or moderate speed and assuming he was not under the influence of anything he would not have hit the back of the other vehicle. For whatever reason it seems reasonable that he was not in a fit state to be driving.

a hoon car.....

Low profile mags [sic], that's a new one.

So 17" wheels make a "hoon" now car do they? What a joke.

Standard equipment wheels for the E Class are 18", why would a hoon choose to put smaller wheels on his car?

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

Mercedes Benz should offer roll cages as an extra,fast cars and bikes have no place on the roads of Thailand.

"fast cars...have no place on the roads of Thailand."

You think that one of the least powerful Mercs shouldn't be allowed on Thai roads, so where would you draw the line? Is there a new car on sale today that isn't fast?

Roll cages as an option, they would be a huge seller. Obviously you've never been in a car with a roll cage.

I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed on the road,I just think they are not really the right car for Thailand and especially Phuket with a lot of single lanes.i wish people wouldn't keep putting words into my mouth.as for roll cages,the only time I've had some sort of roll cage in a vehicle was when I was shipped out of Durham high security prison to whitemoor prison in a cage.

A tragic accident.

Looking at the picture:

For a moment I forgot that we are in a right-hand drive country.

Just saw the quite intact left side.

Indeed little chance to survive.

If trucks here were fitted with underride guards (aka Mansfield Bars) he might of had a chance to survive.

RIP

Such accidents are a good argument for more technology like radar controlled brake assist/alarm.

Very helpful in Thailand with so many unlighted vehicles, vehicles in wrong direction, extremely slow moving vehicles etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think I read about the uk making Mansfield bars compulsory to all new trucks but Thailand is years away from that one.just yesterday in bkk a cyclist died falling under the the wheels of a truck.the roads of Thailand are like some sort of war zone no matter what car your in or how safe you drive.

RIP

Has nobody here ever dozed off late at night whilst driving?

I have and it was scary, luckily on a motorway with little traffic so I survived. Btw I was sober too.

I have. Tired. I was also lucky. This driver was not lucky. Accepted that factors other than misfortune may have been involved - I have no idea.

All opinions here are of course speculative and I hope respect can be maintained on this thread.

Ridiculous comments from some. blink.png

I knew him for many years. I know his wife and his little daughter. Decent man. Hard worker, up all hours of the day for tourists in trouble. Give the family a break. RIP.

What was his profession than, apart of having been a vice hon consul ?

Edited by Deli

I knew him for many years. I know his wife and his little daughter. Decent man. Hard worker, up all hours of the day for tourists in trouble. Give the family a break. RIP.

Clearly written in the article. Read it. coffee1.gif

"I knew him for many years." - so, did he have a tendency to drink and drive?

R.I.P.

For a hard worker family man, up all hours of the day for tourists in trouble.

We send you warm thoughts of sorrow, Words are poor, but we are thinking of you.

Greeting a friend

Edited by Bangkokazy

I read the article. I see his has been in Thailand since 2008. I see nothing in the article about his profession, other than the appointment as Vice Honorary Consul.

I read the article. I see his has been in Thailand since 2008. I see nothing in the article about his profession, other than the appointment as Vice Honorary Consul.

Try this article. It states: Mr Santi was the Deputy Honorary Consul of the Russian Federation for Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga from 2008. The Phuket native also owned apartments and other businesses on the island.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-deputy-consul-Phuket-dies-crash/63906

"Have another vodka "...... So sad!

You know what they say about assuming? Mr. Santi Udomkiratak the Russian deputy honorary consul, is not Russian, he is a Phuket native Thai. While he may have drank vodka on occasion (something that wasn't stated in any article) his blood is being tested... But I don't know any Phuket natives who prefer vodka over whiskey...