Why are Thai Made products usually (not always) of low quality

Bcgardener

I just changed an outside fluro light with a new fitting, Went to Hardware House and looked at the range of outdoor fittings, didn't purchase the cheapest but went for one of the more expensive ones. When I was fitting it the various components and plastic cover looked well finished but didn't fit exactly the way they should due to a lack of care with tolerances. The mounting clips were loose and a mere bump to the fitting and they would come out and the fitting would sag at one end, similarly the weatherproof plastic cover was a poor fit and I doubt it has sealed properly,

Is it just that the Thai manufacturers feel compelled to make everything to a price that a Thai on the average wage can afford (the fitting was about 900 Baht) or is it that they just don't care about the quality and just look to maximise profit?

My company manufactures export equipment here in Thailand and we produce, what I would consider, a high quality electrical product using a Thai labour force so it's not a lack of skills in that area although we do need to "educate" new staff if they have come from a Thai company. Is it the Thai management or owner that creates this situation in a relentless drive for profits or is it just a "don't care attitude" due to non-existent consumer protection laws?

You answered your own question, to maximize profit. You may be one of the odd ones out, but if it's made in the PRC or here, steer clear. rolleyes.gif

Actually buying products from China does not always mean poor quality,it depends if it is branded or not.

Most of the major corporations including the likes of Apple have their products made in China to high specifications and quality control.

The same can be said for the manufacturing of cars in Thailand with big brands such as Toyota.

Edited by stoneyboy

They are fools.

The Thai market is starved for high quality expensive products. If I had the money I would invest my last penny making high quality cappuccino machines, Thais would line up for miles to buy them. I would make a million bahts.

I hope no one steals my Idea.tongue.png

If a country's trying to join the global economy in traded goods, and it's late to the party, it's going to be difficult. Even Adam Smith thought there was a case for import controls to defend small domestic manufacturers in the early stages as they tried to become established. When you've a comparative advantage in absolutely nothing you've got a problem. People forget just how recently it was that there was a general expectation that nearly everything you bought would be rubbish. In the UK it was the 1980's before you could expect to buy something and basically expect it to work. So if you buy a 250 baht rice cooker and have it go bang on the second use the process whereby you take it back to Tesco, and they send it back to the wholesaler, who then sends it back to the manufacturer, and all of them shielded by import controls......well, that - pretty much - is what every country has to do to get a grip of the Japanese idea of total quality management.

To the OP: how certain are you that the product was made in Thailand?

Lot of that stuff is made in China.

And yes: the whole world imports from China.

Many western households would look quite empty without made in China products.

BUT: for exporting to western countries there is quality assurance/standards.

To Thailand they seem to be able to export every kind of crap.

If it's dirt cheap you can bet it is from China and be broken within days or months.

I could list so many wasted purchased.

Today I checked the loose toilet seat.

Originally fixed with screws and nuts from the package.

COMPLETELY RUSTED, no way to unscrew. Cheap rusting iron!

Fortunately found a way to "tear" them out by breaking the plastic(?) flat washers.

Otherwise I would have needed a saw or angle grinder (which I don't have).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I've bought jeans, t-shirts and shorts as good quality as anywhere, lasted me years, bought a seiko in '95 in Krabi, still going strong, on the other hand I've bought some crap. Bought a holdall once, unpacked it, held the handles and shook it to shape it out and a handle came off, same sort of thing with a couple of rucksacks. That's just how it is, TiT!

You answered your own question, to maximize profit. You may be one of the odd ones out, but if it's made in the PRC or here, steer clear. rolleyes.gif

Actually buying products from China does not always mean poor quality,it depends if it is branded or not.

Most of the major corporations including the likes of Apple have their products made in China to high specifications and quality control.

The same can be said for the manufacturing of cars in Thailand with big brands such as Toyota.

After Apple and Toyota the quality story ends like drops off of a cliff. I have a Samsung frig micro and TV Acer and HP computer and that is where the quality store ends abruptly. Edited by elgordo38

Just bought a pair of jean shorts, in a mall, proper Franchise local brand made in Thailand nice cut and decent feeling material, defo not cheap ones. wore them for the first time, next day saw my white undies dyed blue, so hand washed them thankfully, and even after wringing and Washing them in dozen plus buckets of water, rinsing them numerous times in the shower, colour still coming out.. Would sort of expect it of 100 bht shorts but the original price was 1700,, more than Disapointing, angry.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

After Apple and Toyota the quality story ends like drops off of a cliff. I have a Samsung frig micro and TV Acer and HP computer and that is where the quality store ends abruptly.
Been using sennheisser headphones since the late 70's NEVER had problems with them, theyve broke. But mainly TBH down to me , im hard on them but build and product ALWAYS of a high standard. So wedged out Bought some on ear and over ear momentums, excellent sound as per norm, but I've had to change them 6 times??? And maybe 8 9 leads Totally shocked,, after all this as you can imagine i know the guys a little so why the prob guys? , oh even guys in shops now telling me sennheisser have build quality issue? Without so much as saying it, they blame changing production from Germany to China and surprisingly Ireland. After 50 years of reputation building its gone in 2 ?? years.. Long way back for them now.

Edited by rijit

After Apple and Toyota the quality story ends like drops off of a cliff. I have a Samsung frig micro and TV Acer and HP computer and that is where the quality store ends abruptly.
Been using sennheisser headphones since the late 70's NEVER had problems with them, theyve broke. But mainly TBH down to me , im hard on them but build and product ALWAYS of a high standard. So wedged out Bought some on ear and over ear momentums, excellent sound as per norm, but I've had to change them 6 times??? And maybe 8 9 leads Totally shocked,, after all this as you can imagine i know the guys a little so why the prob guys? , oh even guys in shops now telling me sennheisser have build quality issue? Without so much as saying it, they blame changing production from Germany to China and surprisingly Ireland. After 50 years of reputation building its gone in 2 ?? years.. Long way back for them now.

Anyone in their right mind would tuck a YID up,FOOL.

I've bought jeans, t-shirts and shorts as good quality as anywhere, lasted me years, bought a seiko in '95 in Krabi, still going strong, on the other hand I've bought some crap. Bought a holdall once, unpacked it, held the handles and shook it to shape it out and a handle came off, same sort of thing with a couple of rucksacks. That's just how it is, TiT!

I've just remembered, I've fitted a YSS shock to my vfr and I'm well happy with it.

There are quality Thai products, at least in clothing. I wear a lot of polo shirts and I've bought crap that didn't last long for many years until I found out about good quality local brands like "No Problem". Some of these are still like new although bought over 3 years ago.

They're not cheap, starting at 300-400 bahts but well worth the extra money.

Of course most of fake western brand polo shirts are to be avoided, just because they're of very poor quality.

Whatever I buy in Thailand I just automatically assume that I am not really buying it but renting since it will have to be replaced sooner or later

If the item is not that expensive, I will buy two, so that I will have the spare handy when the first one breaks, which it will

The comment that the light could be made in China is a fair one as all the paperwork and the company name were Thai but nowhere did it say made in Thailand. It could have very well been an import. However I didn't buy the cheaper ones but went for the more expensive one so my point still stands about greed. Not all things out of China are rubbish though. We import components from China and have good quality, reliable suppliers. You won't see the good Chinese suppliers selling at prices that are 30% of western manufacturers prices, more likely 70% but they do exist.

When I moved to a condo in Chiang Mai, I needed to buy some electrical gear for the kitchen. I was warned that if I buy Thai, it will only last 2 years.

But fools rush in, and I've gone through 2 electric kettles in 4 years and one vacuum cleaner. One kettle had been very poorly assembled and had shorted out inside.

I'm now on kettle Nr. 3. Made in China and a Swedish brand vacuum cleaner. Hopefully they will last longer.

I also bought three power boards for computing gear and the kitchen when I was renting a house with earthed electrical outlets. Although the plugs on these were 3-pin, I soon discovered that the power board outlets had no earthing. No warning on the packets of course. It's irrelevant now, as there is no earthing in my present condo.

Anyone in their right mind would tuck a YID

Im really wondering if the term 'troll' is to good for you, cos some form of intelligence is needed to constantly pic arguments and frankly you don't seem to be showing much. :D

Edited by rijit

Well I went out to Homepro this morning on another DIY trip. This time a Thai made mixer tap for the kitchen. Came home and it wouldn't fit in the standard tap hole in the sink. The tap is one of those ones that you can pullout the shower like tap head on a hose that retracts into the tap body. A bit of work with a file to make it fit and bingo, when you fit the clamping plate that holds the tap body to the sink you can't pull out the hose on the tap head. So back to Homepro who were very helpful and checked the others in stock, all the same as mine so none of them would work! Exchanged the Thai mixer tap for an Italian made one then back home and a perfect fit in the standard hole in the sink and all other parts including the clamping plate fit perfectly. I rest my case

To the OP: how certain are you that the product was made in Thailand?

Lot of that stuff is made in China.

And yes: the whole world imports from China.

Many western households would look quite empty without made in China products.

BUT: for exporting to western countries there is quality assurance/standards.

To Thailand they seem to be able to export every kind of crap.

If it's dirt cheap you can bet it is from China and be broken within days or months.

I could list so many wasted purchased.

Today I checked the loose toilet seat.

Originally fixed with screws and nuts from the package.

COMPLETELY RUSTED, no way to unscrew. Cheap rusting iron!

Fortunately found a way to "tear" them out by breaking the plastic(?) flat washers.

Otherwise I would have needed a saw or angle grinder (which I don't have).

You will not find iron that doesn't rust, cheap or otherwise.

What you really mean is that the rust protection was inadequate. That is par for the course here, electroplating is just far too thin. I have some kitchen wirework where the chrome plating has virtually washed off.

At the end of the day you cannot expect western standards for Thai prices. I would have paid 4-5 times the price for similar products in the UK.

some of the items you think are from Thailand were actually imported from China. Especially up at Wat do poi (?) above doi suthep in CM. I got there early one morning and saw them opening up their boxes and unwrapping their trinkets. box had Chinese writing, which doesn't mean i'm 100% right......so guess for yourselves.

it's all about price point.....oh, 200 baht for shorts? they last one year.....is that good for you? or do you want to impress....or this or that.....

the best was i met a "master potter" in the states who gave me a handmade cup for coffee...and it had a hole in the bottom...

I've just remembered, I've fitted a YSS shock to my vfr and I'm well happy with it.
YSS DEFINITELY have two quality's. Export and Thai (Asian)

It has everything to do with culture where almost right is often good enough and a caste system with very rigid social ranking that disables the communication that quality systems are based on. Therefore ISO or other systems that are based on western culture and social environments do not work here.

I've noticed that in Thailand, paying a lot more does not usually buy a better product!!!

As a child, when it came to non-consumable products, I was taught to buy high-end. It will cost you less in the long run, and will also minimize pollution in the form of discarded broken products which must then be replaced. My father's advice worked well back home, but since I moved to Thailand, I've realized that it cannot be applied to Asian-made products.

You pay double or triple expecting better quality, but instead you will get a more fancy product with extra bells and whistles, while the quality (read lifetime) of the product is no different than the cheaper one. Compare this to Western-made products, where increased price translates to better quality first. Extra bells and whistles don't appear until the even higher-up price categories, in which case it becomes obvious that you are now paying for them, and not for increased quality.

For example, take the standard plastic white or beige bum-gun. I got tired of the plastic water on/off push lever breaking, so I replaced my bum gun with a metal one which cost me 3 times the price of a standard plastic one. The push lever lasted less time than the previous one. Why? Because even though the bum-gun sprayer was all nice and shiny metal, the switch was plastic with a metal coating!

Paid more, got something more fancy, while the quality remained the same, or maybe even less! A broken bum-gun is no big loss, but I've had similar experiences with home appliances also.

My revised philosophy for while in Thailand: Buy a low to middle-priced Asian product, or pay through the nose for an imported Western one if true quality and reliability are important.

What is it with Thai bags ?

In Northern Vietnam you can buy copy north face and other outdoor brands and they are amazing quality, close to the quality of the real thing. ( I know they make the real thing there, but which may have something to do with it )

But come to Thailand, the material splits next to the Zips and pressure areas like the straps.

My Sennheisser 650's were made in Germany, bought in 2014 - I think you bought copies made in China.

What is it with Thai bags ?

In Northern Vietnam you can buy copy north face and other outdoor brands and they are amazing quality, close to the quality of the real thing. ( I know they make the real thing there, but which may have something to do with it )

But come to Thailand, the material splits next to the Zips and pressure areas like the straps.

I bought a North Face daily use back pack in Saigon 2010 for $9.00 - have carried this thru airports dozens of times, has a million miles on it and it is still in good condition................Left it at my worksite in Africa on one trip to Bangkok, bought a Swiss day pack in MBK to use and it fell apart after a good soaking in a rain storm - pulled up the zipper and the damn thing just about fell apart..............