Thai Citizen visiting the South Korea Warning (NO VISA WILL BE GIVEN)

All Thai citizens should take extreme care in visiting South Korea !!!!!!!. You will be denied entry at the Airport, and wasted the $500.00 USD KAL air ticket cost from Bangkok to Pusan.

I am an American citizen legally in South Korea on a 3 month tourist visa. I invited my Thai girlfriend to join me in Busan to take some tours. The first time she arrived she was denied entry, they said she did not have enough proof of why she wanted to visit. The second time she came back to Busan, she had all written proof of the following: proof of the tour, proof of paid room from the hotel, round trip air ticket and a guarantee letter from me, that I would cover all her costs. She was denied entry again. This time i was able to speak to the officials and they said “We do not believe anything a Thai person says. Even with documents they do not trust what is presented.” They then state I could not serve as a grantee since i do not live there.

There were 20 Thai people that were denied entry on that flight and all were returned to Thailand.

I checked with the South Korean Embassy in Bangkok about getting a visa issues in Thailand and was told that I must get the visa on arrival in Korea.

Basically this whole business is a scam. They do not want Thai people to come into their country. Officials claim Thai citizens do illegal things in Korea and will overstay their visas.

They use the “visa on arrival” as a scam to get you to purchase round trip tickets from Korea Air Lines. They use the round trip airline ticket to return you home.

I am now out over $1,000.00 USD in air ticket costs and time; and my girlfriend out days to traveling to Korea for no purpose.

Why is the Thailand government allowing this to happen; thousands of Thai nationals are being disrespected.

Do not visit South Korea. Complain to the Korean Embassy and get the Thai government to protest to the South Korean government. Make people aware of this injustice.

• Like 1

I suspect she may not have had the funds (you mention you were going to pay) which is a requirement and clearly pointed out by IATA web site for international travel as below:

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/KR-South-Korea-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

My girlfriend and I have visited South Korea, and have never encountered a problem, she has always been treated by the Immigration Officers with courtesy and professionalism.

As lopburi3 has said, maybe she wasn't able to produce the required evidence.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the OP.

And the warning is justified.

Even with good intentions don't travel to Korea!

(as abuse has spoilt your chances)

But from the family of the sister in law:

Male A living and working in Korea legally with blue "ALIEN REGISTRATION CARD" for a long time in the Busan area in a metal workshop.

Male B, son-in-law of A, being in Korea as a "tourist" for nearly two years now, working illegally in the same metal workshop.

Once escaped arrest narrowly by jumping over the fence.

Females C and D, daughters of A, staying once there (Busan area) 5 months working illegally until arrested, confiscated of all valuables and expelled (banned).

The same two females tried to get in again! with this and that trick (new first name etc.).

I just shook my head about such ignorance sad.png

Of course rejected at the border, loosing a lot of money.

Traveling to Busan (an industrial mega complex) is specially "critical".

The number of Thais already there must be in the four digit range.

Now you have a different story.

B,C and D never intended to do tourism to Korea.

The sole intention was working illegally and making x-times the money they can earn here in upcountry.

Poor rural Thais will try their luck in every visa exempt country that is considered rich with high wages.

Japan was another popular attempt.

No idea what the current situation is.

As far as I remember they send a stern warning that visa exempt might have to be revoked with this much abuse.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

A more inventive method from last month:

40 Thais disappear after entering Korea as 'football fans'

According to the ministry, some 93,000 Thais were staying in Korea as of last December, and about 52,000 were believed to be illegal aliens.

Maybe my estimation was a bit "conservative".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Good heads up, but quite a lot of detail missing, like her occupation, length of their relationship, what they would find when they look up her passport number, etc.

I wonder how many Thai women have been saved from a life of sex slavery in Korea (and other countries) by the very same restrictions.

And I have personally met several of my countrymen who have been saved from being scammed by internet girlfriends and 3 week fiances when they couldn't get them a visa. (Though all of those women were Chinese.)

Maybe the rules are smarter than me in those matters. Still sucks for the OP, though.

Many Thai's think the enforcement of laws in other countries is like Thailand, ( ignored ) thus they get caught and create problems for others. I saw them lie to get in the US as tourist, so they could work and then overstay visa time also. Get caught, sent home, change name and try again. Sometimes it worked, other times they got caught but they created problems for other who followed on legit reasons.

By survey, about 70 % admit that they see nothing wrong with theft/corruption so the entire population is regarded as dishonest by many who are aware of this. I am sure immigration officials in other countries have the same info, thus they refuse entry to some who are not playing the game, but get the majority who are. The Buddist temples contribute to this problem in other countries by sponsoring individuals to work for the temple, while in fact they work in the private sector draw a cash salary, pay no tax, , overstay for several months or years and return home.They live at the temple grounds and are not taught that this is illegal, thus wrong, by the monks.

• Like 1

Many Thai's think the enforcement of laws in other countries is like Thailand, ( ignored ) thus they get caught and create problems for others. I saw them lie to get in the US as tourist, so they could work and then overstay visa time also. Get caught, sent home, change name and try again. Sometimes it worked, other times they got caught but they created problems for other who followed on legit reasons.

By survey, about 70 % admit that they see nothing wrong with theft/corruption so the entire population is regarded as dishonest by many who are aware of this. I am sure immigration officials in other countries have the same info, thus they refuse entry to some who are not playing the game, but get the majority who are. The Buddist temples contribute to this problem in other countries by sponsoring individuals to work for the temple, while in fact they work in the private sector draw a cash salary, pay no tax, , overstay for several months or years and return home.They live at the temple grounds and are not taught that this is illegal, thus wrong, by the monks.

"By survey, about 70 % admit that they see nothing wrong with theft/corruption so the entire population is regarded as dishonest by many who are aware of this."

Care to cite this "survey?"

When it comes to illegal overstaying, the multitude of farang who have posted on TV about their own overstays makes one wonder how many farang have been staying in Thailand for years or even decades illegally. Presumably those posting about it are but a small percentage of the total.

Edited by Suradit69

Many Thais jump ship and stay to work in korea, that is why many are denied entry...she probably was already flagged from the first time in their system, so her reentry was denied even with proof. Its not a scam, they are trying to prevent illegal workers and her profile met that from her first entry, she should have been more prepared ... many first time travelers especially if you are going to countries such as US and UK with no proof or hotel reservation are interrogate and many denied entry as well

Not surprised at all.

I've heard many times that Thais are disliked around the region and in general have created a bad name for themselves. Young single women are invariably traveling to their destinations to work as prostitutes, while the males are also going to some dodgy employment. Furthermore, around the region Thai males have a bad reputation for drunkenness, violent behavior and petty crime.

As for the genuine Thai tourists, I've been told many times by locals in the tourism industry in Lao & Cambodia how much they dislike the arrogant Thais, who consider themselves superior and never miss a chance to show it.

"By survey, about 70 % admit that they see nothing wrong with theft/corruption so the entire population is regarded as dishonest by many who are aware of this."

When it comes to illegal overstaying, the multitude of farang who have posted on TV about their own overstays makes one wonder how many farang have been staying in Thailand for years or even decades illegally. Presumably those posting about it are but a small percentage of the total.

64% by this result. There may have been earlier, higher result http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/440383-abac-poll-thai-people-can-accept-govt-corruption/

Thais are allowed to enter Korea with no visa at all. They just get a stamp in their passport for a stay of 90 days. Thousands of them misused the Korean generosity and simply stayed as long as they wanted. Should they be discovered and caught, they don’t have to fear any fines. They are just deported with the next flight.

My former girlfriend is there 8 months now. Living and working illegally in South Korea as a massage girl. She told me she knows girls staying there since more than 2 years.

Recently her sister tried to follow her. I warned her as I knew that many Thais were sent back. She had a return flight booking as well as a hotel booking for 7 days. She was prohibited from entering. When she came back she phoned me and said that 200 people from different nations were sent back on the next day.

What a waste of time and money!

According to a Bangkok Post report South Korea had deported 30.000 Thais last year. And the numbers are increasing every year.

A massage girl can earn up to 100.000 Baht in South Korea and this amount quadruples if she has sex with the men. South Korea has been a bonanza for many low-income Isaan ladies. But now it seems that the South Korean authorities have finally woke up to the scams and abuses and they enforce strict measures at their entry points.

As unpleasant as it may be to the OP, rules are rules, and they have to be obeyed. As it was so long so very easy for so many Thai girls to disregard the Korean laws, I see it as a sheer measure of self-defence for the Korean authorities when they start blocking the Thai traffic now.

Edited by nofarang

I have lived in Korea since 2004 and have witnessed a dramatic increase in the number of Thais entering the country and overstaying. Korean Immigration does a good job in controlling visitors in an out. Unlike Thailand, the rules and laws are enforced here. I can tell you where most of the illegals stay and work. They are more than likely making much more than they would working in Thailand. By the way OP, being on a tourist visa yourself gives you very little change of influencing an IO. The best bet is to go read all the rules for entry into Korea and make sure the GF has them all covered. Thank goodness I only have to renew my Visa every 10 years. Life is good.......

• Like 2

My Thai GF came with me (Australian) on one of my two week business trips to Seoul and there was no problem at with her entry and exit.

• Like 1

Not surprised at all.

I've heard many times that Thais are disliked around the region and in general have created a bad name for themselves. Young single women are invariably traveling to their destinations to work as prostitutes, while the males are also going to some dodgy employment. Furthermore, around the region Thai males have a bad reputation for drunkenness, violent behavior and petty crime.

As for the genuine Thai tourists, I've been told many times by locals in the tourism industry in Lao. & Cambodia how much they dislike the arrogant Thais, who consider themselves superior and never miss a chance to show it.

Could you bash Thais anymore?

Many Thais jump ship and stay to work in korea, that is why many are denied entry...she probably was already flagged from the first time in their system, so her reentry was denied even with proof. Its not a scam, they are trying to prevent illegal workers and her profile met that from her first entry, she should have been more prepared ... many first time travelers especially if you are going to countries such as US and UK with no proof or hotel reservation are interrogate and many denied entry as well

If that's the reason then they should stop with the "visa on arrival". I doubt if "many" people are denied entry to the UK or US as they would likely have obtained a visa before going. I am about to make a third attempt to get my girlfriend a visa for Canada this summer and if we are successful, I am sure she would not be denied on arrival.

If that's the reason then they should stop with the "visa on arrival". I doubt if "many" people are denied entry to the UK or US as they would likely have obtained a visa before going. I am about to make a third attempt to get my girlfriend a visa for Canada this summer and if we are successful, I am sure she would not be denied on arrival.

Well that is a deal that made with Thailand, visa is not needed for Thais to go to Korea. You are always require to have proof of your stay, that is the only way immigration can weed out the travelers from illegal workers, so its the travelers fault if they cannot provide that and its not too much to ask. I've seen countless times were travelers even with visa to the US/UK are held at immigration because they have not proof of stay, immigration hear the same thing all the time "staying with family". Many folks get a tourist visa and overstay to work in US/UK, so having a visa does not automatically mean easy entry.

• Like 1

That is a fair point, but any "farang" who has spent any time living in Thailand will surely realize rather quickly that laws just aren't enforced here, so why should they follow them like they would back home? Of course, nowadays the Thai immigration department has become stricter, it is now blacklisting long overstayers and threatening to blacklist ALL overstayers who are caught.

Last year and the year before, a lot of noise was made about how Thais were being denied entry to South Korea so the Thais started denying entry to South Koreans and I think they don't allow South Koreans to enter overland UNLESS it's their first entry or they are in possession of a visa. I know of a South Korean guy living in Chiang Mai on a 90-day visa exempt stamp who was told he couldn't cross from Mae Sai to Tachilek in Myanmar and that he would also be denied if heading over to Laos at nearby Chiang Khong. So he took his Thai gf to Hong Kong for 3 days then flew back to Chiang Mai, no problem.

There are similar issues with women from the Philippines leaving the country. The difference

is they are stopped exiting the country by Philippine authorities. This is driven by the UN

crusade to stop human trafficking, and the moral majority in the Philippines bureaucracy.

With the Philippines and Vatican City the only two countries in the world who do not allow

divorce (only annulment in the Philippines) If a woman (who is separated) is traveling to visit

her boyfriend or without her husband it is unlikely she will be allowed to board the plane.

I have seen twenty women in tears and shock at the airport as they try to board a flight and

are denied boarding. No flight refunds, no apologies, just a stiff arm denial. blink.png

• Like 1

Actually the Philippine example, as practiced, is at least as much corruption as good intentions. There are ways around such blockage - from direct payment to false paperwork and as this corruption is a fact of life for just about everything most people know and work within the system - and have no issues leaving. This has little to do with the UN or any human rights issue - it has been a fact of live far longer than such issues have been on any international agendas. But such does provide those involved talking points for justification - as long as they ignore basic human rights.

I've seen people rejected (well, led off to interview rooms) at Incheon on more than a few occasions. There's definitely some profiling going on but I think they have a pretty good idea of who they should be stopping. They certainly get enough practice at it. Is it PC? No. But who really wants or needs PC in Asia?

• 1 year later...

My wife and I are heading to Thailand with a short stop in Korea and Japan.  I know that we have to apply for a visa for her to go to Japan since we'll be there more than 15 days, but I've heard horror stories about Thais visiting Korea.  We are heading to Seoul for just 3 days...arriving from the US...and my wife has a Thai passport with an expired green card, as well as the appropriate I-797 extension letter that makes her green card valid until 02/2019.  We will then go to Japan for 3 weeks and then return to Korea for just one more night before moving on to Bangkok.

Since Korea offers a 90-day stamp to Thai citizens, I wasn't worried at all, but all the stories on Pantip has my wife a bit concerned.  I figured that since we're traveling together, will have our marriage cert, her green card w/ extension letter, as well as money and proof of onward tickets and such that it would be no issues at all.  We're also arriving and departing via first class tickets...not that it matters...but would they consider that as well? 

Any similar experience?  Any reason for concern?  Should we apply for a double entry Korean visa just to be extra safe?

Thanks!