Canada: Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie has terminal cancer

webfact

Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie has terminal cancer
By Saeed Ahmed, CNN

(CNN)Gord Downie, the lead singer for the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip, has terminal brain cancer.

Downie was diagnosed in December and "since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times," the band said on its website Tuesday morning.

For 30 years, Tragically Hip has been one of Canada's most successful acts, racking up 14 Juno awards and nine No. 1s. And the 52-year-old Downie is one of its most charismatic singers.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/24/entertainment/gord-downie-tragically-hip-cancer/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-05-25

Has anyone outside of Canada ever heard of them?

It bugs a lot of Canadians. We can hear Celine Dion and Loverboy everywhere, but out best stuff rarely gets heard outside Canada and North America.

Very sorry to hear. I am a huge Tragically Hip fan from way back. I always viewed them as a better REM and that is saying a lot.

I've seen them in concert many times. Great band and Gordie is a true Canadian talent.

I don't know anyone in your family. But if you told me your Father, Mother, sister, brother, or your dog had cancer.

I you simply say " sorry to hear " , and move on to the next story. Grow up !

No, but have you heard of cancer? blink.png

Yeah, millions die from cancer every day, don't know their names either.

True, many people needlessly die of cancer every year. Cancer is not a death sentence - unless you resort to main stream treatments of course!!

Fortunately, more and more people are waking up to the fact that cancer (even so called terminal cancers) can be cured through utilising natural treatments. He wont be told this and so I guess he will become another statistic!!

It bugs a lot of Canadians. We can hear Celine Dion and Loverboy everywhere, but out best stuff rarely gets heard outside Canada and North America.

I listen to Neil Young and Robbie Robertson on a regular basis. And I like the songs of Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot. Yes, your run of the mill pop music bands, like most pop music bands, rarely gets heard outside the country. But your real talent gets heard aplenty, although you perhaps just don't listen to them. You hosers really should hide your heads in shame over the Bieber. And your beer has not improved since the 1970s. Now go grab me a High Test (O'Keefe's).

I listen to Neil Young and Robbie Robertson on a regular basis. And I like the songs of Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot. Yes, your run of the mill pop music bands, like most pop music bands, rarely gets heard outside the country. But your real talent gets heard aplenty, although you perhaps just don't listen to them. You hosers really should hide your heads in shame over the Bieber. And your beer has not improved since the 1970s. Now go grab me a High Test (O'Keefe's).

So sad. He is right up there as a Canadian music icon with Cohen and Lightfoot. Neil is in a class of his own. Hometown boy.

Canadian music icons and known Canadians: Burton Cummings and the Guess Who, Stampeders, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Joni Mitchell, Paul Anka, Leonard Cohen, Celine Dion, April Wine, Nickelback, Rush, Neli Young, Alannis Morissette, Shania Twain, Gordon Lightfoot, Tom Cochrane... to name a few... you really need to get out of the cave more.

Celine Dion is French Canadian. I don't even think she spoke English for much of her early life. She sang in French.

You think that is relevant?

No, I don't think it's relevant, but the post above it said this:

Loverboy?? never heard of them either, Celine Dion yes but i thought she was American

She's not American, she is Canadian.

Canadian music icons and known Canadians: Burton Cummings and the Guess Who, Stampeders, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Joni Mitchell, Paul Anka, Leonard Cohen, Celine Dion, April Wine, Nickelback, Rush, Neli Young, Alannis Morissette, Shania Twain, Gordon Lightfoot, Tom Cochrane... to name a few... you really need to get out of the cave more.

But to be fair to Neli Young, her brother Neil was a little more popular. I notice that none of these lists includes Bryan Adams, why is that?

• 1 year later...