There are 2 fees, you MUST pay the UK bank the SWIFT transfer fee.

As far as I know ALL Thai banks charge a receiving fee, SCB and Bangkok charge 0.25% with a maximum fee of 500 Baht.

You have the option to choose who pays the receiving bank fee, if you choose you own bank, this charge-back from the Thai bank will take a few weeks and may be more than the 0.25% !

Edited by The Fat Controller

There are 2 fees, you MUST pay the UK bank the SWIFT transfer fee.

As far as I know ALL Thai banks charge a receiving fee, SCB and Bangkok charge 0.25% with a maximum fee of 500 Baht.

You have the option to choose who pays the receiving bank fee, if you choose you own bank, this charge-back from the Thai bank will take a few weeks and may be more than the 0.25% !

As mentioned, some UK banks charge less than the common £20 sending fee. One of my UK banks charges nothing at all for sending.

As far as I know it is also usually possible to have the sending charge paid by the recipient, though I suspect that this merely entails deducting the fee from the amount sent.

Posts with direct links to commercial sites have been reported and removed along with replies.

Some members have expressed dissatisfaction with the removal of valuable information. You can post and you can direct people to various services, but please done post them as a direct link to commercial sites. If a member wishes to copy and past the link and go to the site, that is acceptable provided it is a legitimate source and service.

See below snapshot from another website (unnamed) at it explains the SWIFT codes your Sending bank may use/offer (except maybe in different/vague wording) in asking you how you want to accomplish the transfer and share (or not share) the possible fees along the way with the beneficiary. These codes are part of the SWIFT system which the bank must use when using SWIFT...but like I said they may offer the codes/methods up in a more User Understandable/Friendly or Less Understandable/Friendly way. Some banks do have skill in being vague in their wording especially when fees are involved, whether to allow them to accomplish the currency conversion, etc.

Best to use the Shared code (SHA) approached as that means each bank along the way like any correspondent bank and the receiving bank deduct their fees as the funds flow through them versus having to send a request back to the Sending bank for X-amount of fee to be paid which can result in double fees and higher fees due to the extra work involved to collect their fees, like the receiving bank sending back a request for fee payment (but a higher amount than if they had been able to charge it upon funds arrival) or the receiving bank getting confused and charging you double. Best approach when sending money to yourself where receiving a very specific amount is not really important compared to having to send a payment where an exact amount must arrive.

post-55970-0-91628200-1464357372_thumb.j