Is this actually a good place to live?

qwertymerk

I'm a young farang, from the UK. When I first came here, I loved the place; the beaches, the girls, the friendly people, the cheap cost of living, etc, etc.

Now it's been 6 months since i arrived and I've started to see a different side of it. I don't feel safe, I don't feel like I can trust people as much, I've read/heard a lot of horror stories, I don't feel like I can make a living here, and of course the endless supply of problems (visa, business, ownership etc), the list goes on. Now I'm at the point where I'm thinking to myself, Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

I can imagine things were different a few years ago.

What are your views on this?

This isn't me bashing Thailand at all by the way. I'm just looking for input from other people who have been here for a long time.

Edited by qwertymerk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Location location location, you perspective will be determined largely by your surroundings.

What you see and feel in a main tourist area or large city will be totally different to what you see and feel in a rural area or away from the usual beaten track.

Its not wise to judge an entire country or nation of people based on just one or two locations or a variety of "tourist" areas.

How much Thai have you learned? A solid command of Thai language very much changes (and enriches) your experience living there. Imagine someone coming from another country to live in yours, without a good command of the language, and what kind of perceptions/experiences they might have. Just something to think about.

Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

100% correct.

I've lived in LOS on and off for years, but enjoy it less living there than when I visited on holiday.

To really enjoy retirement would take much more money than I have. I'd love to live on the beach, but can't afford that.

Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

100% correct.

I've lived in LOS on and off for years, but enjoy it less living there than when I visited on holiday.

To really enjoy retirement would take much more money than I have. I'd love to live on the beach, but can't afford that.

Disagree. I live and work here, and would not want to live anywhere else

100% correct.

Hmm, maybe YOU should answer my language question as well! smile.png

100% correct.

I never said I want to live elsewhere, just that I don't enjoy it as much where I live as I would if I could afford to live by the sea. I did enjoy my holidays in LOS more than living there as I did spend the majority of my time on the beach.

The OP was asking about the IDEAL.

100% correct.

I speak bar Thai, which is enough for my lifestyle. I don't work in LOS or have a great deal of interaction with Thais that don't speak English, nor do I want to.

The smart ones figure out for themselves when it is time to leave.

Other have trapped themselves for life.

Some manage to survive albeit never telling the truth.

Only you know what is best for the rest of your own life.

OP, it all depends wat you want to do with your life.

There are opportunities for a full and fullfilling life in Thailand, but far fewer oportunities and far more restrictions and risks than in the UK (and the access the UK currently gives you to the rest of Europe).

Just as there are opportunities for a good life in Thailand there are expats living that good life, but as you rightly point out the needs of a young man are very different from those of older men.

Two observations not to miss:

The vast majority of expats living in Thailand do so by means of wealth they built up in their home countries. There are expats who have made money in Thailand, I've done so myself, but its a small pond of opportunity with a lot of fish.

The horror stories you are reading are not the main risk. The biggest risk to expats in Thailand is probably social isolation and alcoholism.

You are a young man asking the right questions - what ever you choose live a full life.

100% correct.

I speak bar Thai, which is enough for my lifestyle. I don't work in LOS or have a great deal of interaction with Thais that don't speak English, nor do I want to.

But you're not living here.

I agree with the sentiment, if living in a country at least try to speak the language. That is one of the things we all expect foreigners in our home countries to do, and one of the things we don't like about foreigners in our home countries if they don't.

100% correct.

I never said I want to live elsewhere, just that I don't enjoy it as much where I live as I would if I could afford to live by the sea. I did enjoy my holidays in LOS more than living there as I did spend the majority of my time on the beach.

No, the OP was not asking about ideal, you put that in.

And to only address the point of 'ideal' in your post does not do justice to the intention of your post.

100% correct.

agree 100%

100% correct.

No, the OP was not asking about ideal, you put that in.

And to only address the point of 'ideal' in your post does not do justice to the intention of your post.

Just noticed the OP did mention 'ideal', but I don't think he meant it the way you seem to be interpreting it.

You can live anywhere and be happy if your mind is in a place that ignores reality. I can't get to that place anymore. I've spent a couple decades in Thailand but I'm ready to leave. The junta just added to my negativity. Many people around me are happy enough I guess. I can say that I have spoken with several Thais in the past years that want or plan to leave. There's a whole world out there...

Agree with this too, however I wish to stress the ideal word here.

After the end of your honeymoon phase (as phrased accurately by another member) you start realizing that it's not ideal at all. Earthly paradise doesn't exist more in Thailand than anywhere else. Thailand does have a lot of nice things to offer but much trouble can be around the corner too (especially when you're working hard, growing older and you haven't saved that money during your working years!).

Then, you make a choice based on what you value most compared to what "nanny states" offer.

Political uncertainty and the real risk for this country to become wildly unstable after a certain event takes place is something to be considered too.

Edited by Lannig

Agree with this too, however I wish to stress the ideal word here.

After the end of your honeymoon phase (as phrased accurately by another member) you start realizing that it's not ideal at all. Earthly paradise doesn't exist more in Thailand than anywhere else. Thailand does have a lot of nice things to offer but much trouble can be around the corner too (especially when you're working hard, growing older and you haven't saved that money during your working years!).

Then, you make a choice based on what you value most compared to what "nanny states" offer.

Political uncertainty and the real risk for this country to become wildly unstable after a certain event takes place is something to be considered too.

Well that's what I'm thinking to myself now. Of course it's a beautiful place, but when you start looking at settling down, then you face all of the problems that come along with it; ownership problems, car price, health costs, low salary, work permits, traffic, etc. If you're going into business here, that seems to be another issue unless you're Thai. It seems like the cons outweigh the pros.

As for speaking Thai, I know a lot of basic words and phrases, enough to get me around and stuff.

But now I'm having second thoughts about the whole idea of staying here long term. I'm looking for somewhere hot, so UK is off the list lol. Though I wouldn't mind going back to the UK for a short term visit i.e. 6 months or less. I'm thinking maybe Australia, or somewhere else in SE Asia which doesn't come with so many obstacles?!

Also thank you for your responses. I appreciate all advice, input, and constructive criticism. I'm 23 years old by the way if that helps. I have a girlfriend too, who I've been with for around 3-4 months now, so that's another thing I need to consider, she's Thai.

Edited by qwertymerk

I love it here. My Thai sucks, but I give it a try. If you focus on the negative - like so many here - you'll end up feeling down about the place. Lighten up, maybe stay away from the forums and news sites for a while, and enjoy what's around you, and you might see things differently.

There are many places to live within Thailand. You did not say where you tried and for how long.

Apart from Bangkok, there is the North (Chiang Mai), North-East from Korat all the way to Laos border and everything in between.

Then everything between Chiang Mai and Phuket with countless coastal places. Such as Pranburi, Chumpon, etc..

Find out what kind of life you prefer, and try a few places that suit that style. As in, there are multiple Urban/Rural/Coastal communities.

So judging based on a single experience might be too early to tell whether the Country overall is a good place to live/fit for you.

So my advice is to try a few more areas that suit your style, and hope you find what your looking for. That goes for Thailand, or any other Country you choose.

All the best.

I think myself Thailand is a very nice place to live. But in my eyes only if you not have to work in Thailand.

My question would be, why you not feel safe anymore? I think Thailand is quite safe, except maybe some places like pattaya, which still is more safe than many american cities.

In the last few years I always feel more secure than i was in the 1-2 months I was in america (had a gun on my head in brasil). And sorry even the US I not think is safe. NY if you stay outside of Manhatten (Which most of the people think is NY...) Of course there is also danger in e.g. bangkok but still feel better here.

But as for many things after some times the thinking will change a little.... and the OP seems to be very young (23 if remember correct).... I think he should try to find some good work in a place with better salary and spend maybe some extended holidays in Thailand. For safe money I think Thailand is the wrong place and when become older it is good to have some money on the side.

" Now I'm at the point where I'm thinking to myself, Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement."

Or for people that can actually make a good living here and don't expose themselves to unnecessary risks, e.g. frequenting sexpat neighborhoods, getting blasted/high or getting involved with sex workers.

100% correct.

i have lived here for 10 years and would not leave except a want to get my kids educated in nz. we are not the norm. as a general rule it is better to just come to thailand for holidays or come when you want to retire, either on an elite visa or retirement visa provided( you are self funded). there are exceptions of course.

There are many places to live within Thailand. You did not say where you tried and for how long.

Apart from Bangkok, there is the North (Chiang Mai), North-East from Korat all the way to Laos border and everything in between.

Then everything between Chiang Mai and Phuket with countless coastal places. Such as Pranburi, Chumpon, etc..

Find out what kind of life you prefer, and try a few places that suit that style. As in, there are multiple Urban/Rural/Coastal communities.

So judging based on a single experience might be too early to tell whether the Country overall is a good place to live/fit for you.

So my advice is to try a few more areas that suit your style, and hope you find what your looking for. That goes for Thailand, or any other Country you choose.

All the best.

I live in Bangkok. I have spent around a month in Phuket, mainly Patong Beach and that was nice but there doesn't seem to be as many opportunities down there and it is quite expensive compared to Bangkok. Whilst I was in Phuket, I was looking at some guesthouses to lease, hence the reason I stayed there for around a month. I've spent two weeks in Koh Chang, that's definitely my favourite place so far.

I like to be near everything, I don't like having to travel far to get things such as shopping, food, pharmacies, etc. I like to be in the sun as much as possible, Bangkok seems to lack sunlight for some reason lol, maybe it's the tall buildings and the smog in the air. I love the beach, but a visit to the beach is only two hours away from Bangkok so that's not an issue.

It's different things for different people. But I would say it was much better 15 or 20 years ago whe

n matters like getting Visas were so much easier. I

sorry...bloody wi-fi playing up...to continue.....I am only here (teaching English) because it is impossible for me

to get decent work in Australia (being over 50). You have the advantage of youth, give Cambodia or Vietnam a go as that might suit you more.

You make life what you make it here. As time goes on I do find myself very much missing many of the things I could get in my own country like clean beaches, beautiful bike tracks, great hiking spots, great spots to take kids and dogs, fresh and organic foods. Living in Bkk is another hurdle. After a while it just seems like a monstrous city of 13+ million people with poor infrastructure, traffic and some pollution. Malls or a good gated community are refuges. I long ago stopped going to the foreign tourist areas and dont travel much in the city because of traffic and lack of spaces to walk outside of interiors. Tourist areas were great fun when I first arrived but years later they are pretty predatory places and not fun any more. The constant hassles (protests, coups, floods, droughts, alcohol bans etc.. ) start to wear you down. Safety is poor - roads are widow makers - and balconies seem to be lethal. The population is now much older on average than when I arrived and smiles are very few. Most people are very disinterested in what they do - work wise. The sense of youthful vibrancy just isnt here now. Thailand is starting to feel like a middle aged country reflecting its demographics. Tired, stressed and frustrated at not reaching its lofty goals and ambitions (a constant source of humorous derision for foreigners).

So why do I stay here - its central to Asia for work purposes, I have a nice place to live, weather is warm, my home situation demands that I remain here in Bkk. But given the choice now, if I wasnt already entrenched here, I might consider either my home country or Cambodia. But I might also might consider staying. Its a fence sitter - i dont think the decision is as clear cut as it use to be.