Buying a used bike advice

Looking at buying a used CBR250

2011. From a dealer but they're saying I need to do the govt transfer etc myself and they will want an inspection, probably because near 5yo.

What should I check to make sure the bike is fit apart from matching engine numbers with green book? The bike cosmetically is mint.

What sort of money will they want to tfer govt and insurance, inspection etc?

Copy of Passport - Photo page, copy of current visa, copy of arrival card.

Letter from immigration stating residence / or Yellow book.

Green book from seller, and the two completed forms, one from them one from you.

Copy of sellers passport or Thai ID.

Inspection process is irrelevant, if it has two wheels and it has a chassis number and engine number that match the green book it will not be a problem - In many cases the bike does not even need to be seen.

Tax is about 120 Baht, insurance is a little bit more, it will not cost more than a few hundred Baht total.

Edited by Generalchaos

Green book from seller, and the two completed forms, one from them one from you.

Inspection process is irrelevant, if it has two wheels and it has a chassis number and engine number that match the green book it will not be a problem - In many cases the bike does not even need to be seen.

Tax is about 120 Baht, insurance is a little bit more, it will not cost more than a few hundred Baht total.

Please follow this advice .........It is correct

Ride a Kawasaki 250 or 300 before you buy that CBR. Much better bikes with two cylinders and not one like the Honda. Honda does not have the grunt or pickup that the Kawasakis have.....but if you love it, buy it.

Rented a Honda 250 in Chiang Mai last year. I could not wait to get off that bike.....junk. That is why there are so many for sale here used.

Ride a Kawasaki 250 or 300 before you buy that CBR. Much better bikes with two cylinders and not one like the Honda. Honda does not have the grunt or pickup that the Kawasakis have.....but if you love it, buy it.

Rented a Honda 250 in Chiang Mai last year. I could not wait to get off that bike.....junk. That is why there are so many for sale here used.

never liked Kwakas or Yammys much. Always been a Honda CB man. It's fast enough for me. More than that I like the feel and look of the bike. Perfect for me. I've looked everywhere and haven't seen too many around at all? I must say a single with a sports pipe sounds nothing like I'm used to from Honda. Thanks all for the help

In additon to paperwork already stated - Certificate of Residence, passport, signed transfer paper from previous owner and copy of his passport/ID card etc etc, check were the bike is actually registered in the Green Book, since you may well have to do the change over at THAT local License office.

If this is the case,some of the local inspection garages may do it for you ie - send paperwork and signed inspection form to the relevant oofice, but they will charge you more.

I bought two bikes at beginning of the year, - a TTX 125 and a Yamaha Virago 400. Both registered in BKK

The local office in Pattay would not do the registration change, it had to be done in BKK, i got a local inspection garage to deal with both, the TTX cost 2000bht and was no problem.

But the bigger 400cc was, i had to take it to the local License office, they did inspection, then took various photos, and even looked up the bike on the internet to check the original spec. Then i had to take paperwork back to my inspection garage, they then sent paperwork to BKK ----- i STILL do not have Green Book back. ( i came back yo UK in March , im hoping it will be available when i go back ) and it cost 3500bht !!!

Edited by anfh

All bikes and cars over 3 ( or possibly 5 ) years old require an annual inspection before they can have road tax etc. This can be done at the main local Driver License and Registration Centre.

However, there are many garage/repair shops which are allowed to carry out these inspections and you pay and recieve your road tax from these places. They should have a sign outside the shop which is a large blue "cog wheel" on a white background, which indicates that they are government approved inspection shops.

All bikes and cars over 3 ( or possibly 5 ) years old require an annual inspection before they can have road tax etc. This can be done at the main local Driver License and Registration Centre.

However, there are many garage/repair shops which are allowed to carry out these inspections and you pay and recieve your road tax from these places. They should have a sign outside the shop which is a large blue "cog wheel" on a white background, which indicates that they are government approved inspection shops.

thanks mate. Inspection every year eh? Can they handle a bike transfer?

Woman at the DLT told us to transfer green book cost around 2000 baht? Others on here saying a few hundred? The green book owner is in Bkk and I'm transferring at my local DLT khon kaen if that makes a difference. The bike has tax and insurance well into next year

I think that, if you are changing ownership of a local bike at your local license office, then yes, it is a few hundred baht.

However, if having to use a local inspection place to do it because the bike is registered in a differant area, then they charge on top of this, around 2000bht

I would point out that, if the bike was originally registered in BKK, and you are in Kon Kean, even after you change the actual ownership details in the green book, the bike will remain registered in the BKK area. This is how Thailand system works. This will not really affect you once you are the owner, but obviously impacts on change of owership for a future owner, should you sell it.

For motorbikes is older then 5 years, for cars is older then 6 years

It's hard to imagine what they "inspect" when you see some of the ancient, rust eaten bikes riding around town.

Most of the time the "inspection" for paying yearly tax at the private inspection places

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

( on a motorbike ) is just checking the chassis and engine numbers actually match the book

some times they will test the exhaust emissions,lights,brakes and if the horn works.

When changing names at the DLT sometimes the checks are a bit more stringent especially on older "big bikes" as they are prone to having dodgy green books.

If the bike has a Bangkok registration plate and you want to have your name in the green book

you either need to go to Bangkok with the bike and change names there ( keeping Bangkok plates )

or you can "move" the bike to Khon khen province this entails informing the KK DLT that you want to de-register from Bangkok

that will take a couple of days or weeks to do and you'll have to go back to the KK DLT and give them your BKK plates then they'll give you new KK plates.

Also to change names the tax ( and I think compulsory government insurance ) has to be up to date

Third option is let an "agent" do all the running around for you in your case with different province number plates it may be the best option. ( Unless you're up for a challenge )

I think that, if you are changing ownership of a local bike at your local license office, then yes, it is a few hundred baht.

However, if having to use a local inspection place to do it because the bike is registered in a differant area, then they charge on top of this, around 2000bht

I would point out that, if the bike was originally registered in BKK, and you are in Kon Kean, even after you change the actual ownership details in the green book, the bike will remain registered in the BKK area. This is how Thailand system works. This will not really affect you once you are the owner, but obviously impacts on change of owership for a future owner, should you sell it.

No, this isn't true. At least at Khon Kaen office. New KK plates. Total price 1200 baht and that includes 300 tea money

A few extra things on this from personal experience today.

You cant just rock up to immigration and get your resident letter. You need to go to the DLT first and get a request form from DLT to give immigration. Why its like this now I don't know. Last year I got 2 resident letters from Immigration for DLT. Just went straight to immigration and got them. Last 2 times I've needed a letter from immigration for the DLT I had to get the letter requesting immigration give me the letter first. To get my residence letter I needed a copy of my rental lease. It really is all crazy. Takes a full day and about 40km running around back and forth and I live in the city!

There is, of course, one other thing to remember, - this is Thailand, no two government offices will use the same procedures/rules. So whatever is given as advice, always be prepared for something else to be required.

There is, of course, one other thing to remember, - this is Thailand, no two government offices will use the same procedures/rules. So whatever is given as advice, always be prepared for something else to be required.

I've found that with any of the govt offices. See blokes on here all the time swearing they're right. No one is right. "Up to office" and more importantly the individual ur dealing with

Are there different rules for different sized bikes here? For eg does a 110cc Wave need to get an inspection every year if over 5yo or say only bikes over 200 cc? Anyone know?

Would make you wonder how there could be so many totally clapped out junkers on the road unless they're all unregistered. Big chance

A few extra things on this from personal experience today.

You cant just rock up to immigration and get your resident letter. You need to go to the DLT first and get a request form from DLT to give immigration. Why its like this now I don't know. Last year I got 2 resident letters from Immigration for DLT. Just went straight to immigration and got them. Last 2 times I've needed a letter from immigration for the DLT I had to get the letter requesting immigration give me the letter first. To get my residence letter I needed a copy of my rental lease. It really is all crazy. Takes a full day and about 40km running around back and forth and I live in the city!

Oh well. Thought had everything sorted with DLT and only waiting for the green book. Nope. Phone call this morning. Oh big proprem. Of <deleted> course! Jumped through all their hoops. 2 trips to immigration. Back and forth the DLT 5 times. Still not good enough! It seems immigration were meant to attach my photo to the residence letter. Now i have to go to DLT and pick up the paperwork, back to immigration, provide them with a photo, get a new letter with photo and "very important" stamp and back to DLT. I <deleted> hate it here sometimes! I reckon I done 7 or 8 trips back and forth...used half a tank of gas and lost 2 days of my life pssing around to do something as routine as change bike ownership. And still not finished! I'd hate to have a business or do something really tricky here! No wonder 80% of the vehicles here are unlicensed and uninsured. People driving around without licences. It's just too frigging hard. Better risk getting pulled over and pay the 200 baht Edited by Kenny202

I own a CBR300 and am very happy with it. Junk? Honda outsells the Kawa 5/1 we can't all be wrong, can we?