US tourists warned of summer terror attacks in Europe

webfact

US tourists warned of summer terror attacks in Europe

606x341_334286.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- The United States is warning its citizens of the threat of terrorist attacks in Europe this summer, saying that targets could include the Euro 2016 football tournament in France.

The State Department issued the alert as French police reviewed security protocols at the Stade de France in Paris, a site already targeted by suicide bombers last November.

The stadium will host the opening match of the championships on June 10.

The US warning covers “major events, tourist sites, restaurants, commercial centers and transportation”.

It points to the Catholic Church’s World Youth Day event in Krakow, Poland, in July, saying that local infrastructure may be strained by the up to 2.5 million visitors set to attend.

The travel alert expires on August 31.

Concern about security in Europe has grown since November’s Paris attacks that claimed 130 lives as well as the suicide bombings in Brussels in March that killed 32 people.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-01

Well, could stay at home and risk attack at home, or go to Europe and risk attack there. I think people booking travel should go and enjoy but listen to the advice of the State Department and try to avoid potential target areas.

Well, could stay at home and risk attack at home, or go to Europe and risk attack there. I think people booking travel should go and enjoy but listen to the advice of the State Department and try to avoid potential target areas.

So if you listen to the State Dept and try to avoid potential target areas, then you might as well stay at home as it covered the majority of places you go when you travel.

Or you could work on if its your time its your time and go ayway because there ain't nowt you can do about it

Edited by Caps

I don't know why most Americans would opt for a European vacation in the first place. Most aren't all that interested in cathedrals and castles, and once you get past that, Europe is a poor choice for anyone to visit. Too expensive, bad weather, nothing the equivalent American National and state parks, no wilderness, too crowded, underserviced hotels, people who don't wash as often as they should and avoid deodorants, surly and unfriendly attitudes, and depending on the country (the UK, for example) terrible food.

Well, as the US was responsible for ISIS via the mess they created in the ME, and has helped it along with allies providing training and financing. then I guess they would have the inside information on European terror attacks.

I don't know why most Americans would opt for a European vacation in the first place. Most aren't all that interested in cathedrals and castles, and once you get past that, Europe is a poor choice for anyone to visit. Too expensive, bad weather, nothing the equivalent American National and state parks, no wilderness, too crowded, underserviced hotels, people who don't wash as often as they should and avoid deodorants, surly and unfriendly attitudes, and depending on the country (the UK, for example) terrible food.

I would only go back for the Louvre, night lights of Paris, and the Swiss Alps!

Damn! I was just about to "like" your post until the crack about the food... mad.gif

Oh dear, oh dear.

Everything is better, bigger, smarter etc in the US.

Exactly the state of mind is shown by you why most people in any of the countries in Europe have such low respect for people in the US.

Damn! I was just about to "like" your post until the crack about the food... mad.gif

Sorry, but it seems to me that the places in Europe where people do practice good hygiene are also the places where the food is bad. Similarly, the places with the good food seem to have the lowest levels of personal hygiene, which only serves to put you off your food.

Awesome, they stay at home, and won't be missed whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst drinking a cold beer

Edited by Caps

Oh dear, oh dear.

Exactly the state of mind is shown by you why most people in any of the countries in Europe have such low respect for people in the US.

I don't see what your problem is. You don't want Americans in Europe. Neither do I. I think they're better at home. You seem to agree. You should be happy with my post.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Don't make the mistake to assume the idiotic post of Usernames represents Americans. Americans have been traveling to and living in Europe for centuries and will continue to do so. Everyone that can should do so.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh dear, oh dear.

Don't make the mistake to assume the idiotic post of Usernames represents Americans. Americans have been traveling to and living in Europe for centuries and will continue to do so. Everyone that can should do so.

He's right about hotels being expensive and usually with low service levels and standards of service. But that's a very general statement and reflects more on the chain hotel brands, especially, IME, in France where there is no service mentality, Germany, where it's self service, and the Netherlands were they're too spaced out.

As for food, well the US ain't exactly blessed with culinary expertise or hotels with good service for that matter. Stayed in a Sheraton in California and the breakfast buffet was set up just off reception, and very basic to say the least. If you wanted lunch or dinner there were menus for local takeaways in your room who would deliver!

But most Americans I've met are intelligent and appreciate the history connected to Europe and willing to put up with the inconveniences to see and experience things for themselves.

Is there any room left over there in Europe for American tourist ? Any tourist in fact ? I thought all the beds and meal had been taken by the influx of refugees.

People, please stop denigrating each others countries based upon your own generalizations about each other. As an American, I have traveled in every US State and every European country. Europe is rich in history and there are many historical sites to see. The same can be said of the US , although American history is much shorter. Both continents have friendly people and are welcoming of tourists. The hotels in both are overpriced; lacking in great food; and do not have much service. Europe has a greater chance of terrorism as it is smaller; and there are more migrants to Europe from the Middle East . America is more vast and its security apparatus is more defined. In my opinion. both Europe and America suffer from a common dilemma- way too materialistic and ruled by wealthy cliques who support business interests rather than their own people's interests. Both America and Europe are in decline and have populations that are clamoring for change. That is why you have the emergence of people like Donald Trump in the US; Marine Le Penn in France; and Nigel LaFarge and Gerry Adams in the UK not to mention rightist political parties in all the countries of Europe.

The balance of power has swung towards Asia and that is where it will remain until the West gets its act together. However. with all the squabbling that goes on between Americans and Europeans on this board, I doubt this will ever happen in a few lifetimes.Personally, the hotels and food in Thailand are so much better than in America or Europe with friendly prices and friendlier service. I wouldn't go to either America or Europe.

Edited by Thaidream

There is far greater risk in Europe

They gave a flair for Muslim ghetto's there

Yes pal they all go to Thailand for the temples and the nice clean beaches

and the hygienic clean food cooked on the street and Thai culture

grow a pair

My Thai wife loves the range of food available in the UK [she's a British citizen now]. She also hates Thai restaurants in the UK for obvious reasons. She can also cook and bake any falang food to perfection.

The rest of Usernames post was spot on. Just don't dis our food as it's come a long way since the 70s and 80s and Fanny Cradock.

Edited by wooloomooloo

My Thai wife loves the range of food available in the UK [she's a British citizen now]. She also hates Thai restaurants in the UK for obvious reasons. She can also cook and bake any falang food to perfection.

The rest of Usernames post was spot on. Just don't dis our food as it's come a long way since the 70s and 80s and Fanny Cradock.

Haven't been in the UK since the 1990s. I do hope your food is better. I guess immigration from some countries has its value.