Running away from army service.

Smokemachine

Brother law paid 50k thb to some officer to sign off he had completed his term.

This was AFTER the years had passed , during that time if he had been caught in no uncertain terms was told it was the slammer for him

Edited by The Big Mango

What country

Thailand

Did you not report for the draft or did you got drafted and then not showed up for your service?

For the first one, 200 baht fine.

If you show up after you are 30 years old you don't have to go for the draft just pay the fine.

What country

Thailand
Did you not report for the draft or did you got drafted and then not showed up for your service?

If you show up after you are 30 years old you don't have to go for the draft just pay the fine.

Really ???

My wife's son bought his way out of his national service. I'm not sure how much he paid, but I believe it was about 50k. That cleared him with the army, but not with the police who were also looking for him. Our local headman told my wife he had been instructed to notfy the police if he turned up in our village.He got arrested whilst checking in for a flight at Suvarnabhumi and was flown to Chiang Mai, and then transferred to his local police station. I spent a day chauffeuring him around various police offices around CM, where he was eventually fined 200 baht, and sent on his way. Now he is in the clear.

I asked someone on active duty and his answer was that deserters would lose their Thai ID for 20 years. Not sure if that is for real or just what they threaten them with. No mention of prison time.

My GF's son did this and he can't find proper paying work as he has no proper Thai ID card.He works for minum wages when he can find work.Some times the men can pay some money to the army to get their life back and sometimes they will be in jail for a while.

Is national service compulsory for all males in Thailand, or is it just a lottery of those chosen? What about women?

I think if you volunteer it's two years service. Or you can take your chances with the lottery, but if you get picked then it's four years.

What country

Thailand

Got drafted and missing for 2 years.

Criminy. There are kids wanting to get into the military full time but can't pass the entrance quals - it's highly competitive.

The idiot that wants to 'run away' is basically in boot camp, and in my humble opinion is a Nancy boy. If Nancy Boy stays in and does his 6 months of training, he'll be set free. There are some Thai men with 'sac' who actually want those full-time military job, my son being one of them.

So tell your friend to run like the mama's boy he is. <Boo hoo> Tell him to enjoy his time in prison when caught if you think 'boot camp' is difficult. And don't drop the soap.

Edited by connda

As ex military I think that all men and woman should serve at least 1-2 years in the military.

If this little thing wants to run and hide under momma's skirt then bitch and moan that no one respects a coward or will employ it then go for it.

For me i will be honest if I knew anyone that was trying this i would be the first on e to the military police with their location.

DO THE TIME. I guarantee that if more people did the world would be a better place. Discipline, respect and loyalty are not taught in the real world anymore.

Is national service compulsory for all males in Thailand, or is it just a lottery of those chosen? What about women?

I think if you volunteer it's two years service. Or you can take your chances with the lottery, but if you get picked then it's four years.

AFAIR if you volunteer it is 12 months instead of 2 years if you are conscripted by the lottery

As an alternative, you can, whilst in your last 3 years at school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service

"have the option of enrolling in the 3-year Reserve Officers Training Corps during Matthayom 4 thru 6 (i.e., Grade 10-12), whereas the student will drill at a local military installation once per week during the school year, with a field training exercise at the end of Year 3. The ROTC program is operated nearly exclusively by the Royal Thai Army. Those who complete the 3-year program will be exempted from conscription and receive the rank of Acting Sergeant (E-6) upon graduation from high school. Students who do not complete the program or wish to enrol in the commissioned officer phase of the program can do so at their post-secondary institution. Those who do not complete the ROTC program will be required to report for conscription in early April of the year that they are to reach 21 years of age."

As ex military I think that all men and woman should serve at least 1-2 years in the military.

If this little thing wants to run and hide under momma's skirt then bitch and moan that no one respects a coward or will employ it then go for it.

For me i will be honest if I knew anyone that was trying this i would be the first on e to the military police with their location.

DO THE TIME. I guarantee that if more people did the world would be a better place. Discipline, respect and loyalty are not taught in the real world anymore.

And let's not forget killing, which is also still taught in the military. To say nothing of fascism which what forcing everyone to be soldiers against their will amounts to.

Couldnt agree more every country should have some form of national service. Primarily for the exact reasons you named discipline respect and loyalty.

And let's not forget killing, which is also still taught in the military. To say nothing of fascism which what forcing everyone to be soldiers against their will amounts to.

False premise, if intstituted properly doing national service after you finished school or maybe even completing it during your school years as a cadet or similar is a great idea. School is also compulsory but no one claims your a fascist for "forcing" your children to become students. The military has also provided countless people a trade, a career and excellent benefits myself included.

"QUOTE"-----" My GF's son did this and he can't find proper paying work as he has no proper Thai ID card.He works for minum wages when he can find work.Some times the men can pay some money to the army to get their life back and sometimes they will be in jail for a while."

Step Son "called up" had several grievances with Junior NCO and got a good bashing by several as a result. He rather enjoys a good "Knuckle UP" but was outnumbered. after two or three occasions he just walked away [Minus his ID Card]. came back to the village, kept a low profile and after two years reported back, was given his ID card with no penalty as during his absence the Sergeant had used the card to collect his pay. Everybody happy and according to the youngster about 20% of his corps were doing the same. No wonder with that income, no complaints or negative reports.

My GF's son did this and he can't find proper paying work as he has no proper Thai ID card.He works for minum wages when he can find work.Some times the men can pay some money to the army to get their life back and sometimes they will be in jail for a while.

Why would a "minimum wage" worker with few skills NOT go into the Army for a few years?

I don't get these little Princesses not wanting to do National Service.

Weak little girls.