Is ISIL’s de facto capital under threat? Syrian army ‘penetrates Raqqa Province’

webfact

Is ISIL’s de facto capital under threat? Syrian army ‘penetrates Raqqa Province’

606x341_334751.jpg

RAQQA: -- ISIL’s de facto capital in Syria appears to be under threat.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) claims that Syrian government troops – backed by Russian air strikes – have advanced into Raqqa province for the first time in almost two years. The forces are said to be advancing towards Raqqa, home to ISIL’s de facto control centre.

At least 26 ISIL fighters and nine Syrian government and allied troops were killed in the conflict, according to the SOHR.

It is the third big offensive against the militant group in recent days, with additional assaults from Iraqi forces, US-backed fighters, Kurdish forces and various rebel groups across ISIL’s self-proclaimed caliphate in Syria and Iraq.

One such campaign started in the Mediterranean. US fighter jets took off from there to launch air strikes in support of operation “Inherent Resolve” against the jihadist group.

Amateur video later emerged purporting to show the aftermath of bombings by US-backed rebels in al-Sakhour, in Aleppo Province.

The forces claim they are making rapid advances against ISIL, and the offensive is crucial in denying the group access to the Turkish border and, therefore, supplies of arms and food.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-06

Had the US and its proxies stayed out and left it to the Syrians and their Russian ally from the beginning. Many lives would have been saved and the migrant mess that is today would not be an issue.

Had the US and its proxies stayed out and left it to the Syrians and their Russian ally from the beginning. Many lives would have been saved and the migrant mess that is today would not be an issue.

I don't agree. If the US had stayed out, Syria would have unleashed all-out assaults on civilians, not differentiating between rebel fighters and others. Granted, it's v. difficult in Dune countries to ID combatants from civilians. Who would pay for and assist the Syrian slaughter of civilians + leveling of cities? The Russkies, of course.

With US and allied involvement, the Syrians and Russkies have had to dial-back their indiscriminate method of leveling cities.

The migrant mess would have been as bad or worse than it is now.

With US and allied involvement, the Syrians and Russkies have had to dial-back their indiscriminate method of leveling cities.

The migrant mess would have been as bad or worse than it is now.

You're most probably right and the USA were involved in a way.

Unfortunately, I do not see any serious and substantial involvement of the West in Syria. I see that proxies are acting, pursuing their own interests, Turkey and Jordan are visible. Russia and Iran are fighting on the ground and they are involved. The West let Russia to deploy the troops and aircraft there, and, in a new reality on the ground, the USA are still relying on the untrustworthy allies. A real statesman would have dealt with the new reality and got involved there on an earlier stage. If needed he/she would have had an agreement with the major players, Russia including, to deal with the evil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have reservations about the assault on Raqqa. Surely these strict muslims deserve some area, some ground of their own to practice the to-the-word interpretation of their holy book? I would personally prefer their zone to be much further away that say Libya or Syria, like say Terra Del Fuego or the Antarctic but that is a small detail. It is infinitely preferable that they do their medievel carrying on over there and not in Bradford or Keighley.