To farang men who married Thai women...

I have been with my Thai GF for over 25 years, consider her my wife, but never married. See no need to.

Was previously married, but once I got those shackles off I was determined that I would never be taken alive again.

• Like 1

Married my wife in 1993 and I have been really happy for 23 years. Great woman, manages the household budget, pays all bills and is a fantastic cook (Thai and western foods) I was also married to an American woman for 3 1/2 years and was mostly miserable for everything but the first 6 months or so.

• Like 2

Over the years, I have heard many real life cases of broken relationships; vast majority of relationships end up

on the rocks and financial ruin. These cases happened in 4 different countries I have lived in.

Common theme is that most women have the same brain.

Here in Thailand, a foreign man is at a significant disadvantage from day 1. He is the lonely, rich foreigner who

has more money than brains so he pays and pays and pays until he can pay no more and back to the bars.

Thai courts and her family will always support her.

Would you like to play a high stakes poker game with the odds vastly against you?

And I detest that word 'farang'.

Hmm. 4 failed marriages. Ever consider staying single or perhaps you gravitate towards wrong type of woman.

Read carefully what I wrote originally. before you make an irrelevant comment.

Over the years, I have heard many real life cases of broken relationships; vast majority of relationships end up

on the rocks and financial ruin. These cases happened in 4 different countries I have lived in.

Here in Thailand, a foreign man is at a significant disadvantage from day 1. He is the lonely, rich foreigner who

has more money than brains so he pays and pays and pays until he can pay no more and back to the bars.

Would you like to play a high stakes poker game with the odds vastly against you?

Hmm. 4 failed marriages. Ever consider staying single or perhaps you gravitate towards wrong type of woman.

I don't like that word either...it's the same as nigger as far as I can see...inside I smile a bit sometimes, because I know it's origins must be that stupid Thais cannot pronounce "foreign"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no regrets over the assorted wives I have had....a waste of time regrets....just move on as you cannot change what happened, only your memory of the experiences can change. Married first to a Japanese/American...then a Ohio woman, then 25 years with another American but not married and eventually drifted apart....now married to my Thai wife....best woman I have ever met, funny, intelligent, clever, creative, smart with money, best lovemaking of my life, and she is only 12 years younger than me. Spend most of my life smiling these days. She turns travelling into a fun time instead of a drudge.

As for the person who said just rent everything...I hope that was tongue in cheek, otherwise you are a pretty sad individual. The only real things in this lifetime is Love and other human beings. And if you are not participating in those you are missing out on what life is really about. Time to wake up and walk away from the bar. Everything else is just stuff.

I don't like that word either...it's the same as nigger as far as I can see...inside I smile a bit sometimes, because I know it's origins must be that stupid Thais cannot pronounce "foreign"...

It's also a Thai word for a fruit. I assumed because both are often ripe for plucking.

I have been with my Thai wife for 17 year's 12 years married,and all of them good time. she tells me every day she loves me and I love her to bits,

She is a very good lady and her family are great and have helped me all the time (they are all professional people in government or lawyers)my friend's and family tell me constantly I am very lucky.I know that as I have lived in Thailand for 32 years and have seen all the bad relationships and financial ruin farang get in to including all the suicides.I am 19 years older than my wife and fear for her if anything happens to me it's a constant worry for me can't help it I Love Her.

• Like 1

If I have any regret, it is that I did not meet her years ago.

I regret my wife being so much younger than me. Over the seven years of being married we have grown very close and we have developed a genuine love for each other, now I have to content with the fact that I will die before her ,leaving her along.

It is a thought that when it occurs gives me a fair amount of stress. I know it is an unhealthy, morbid thought, and that I need to put it in proper perspective, but as of yet I have not learn to deal with it.

have you ever checked the life span differences between men and women ?

females will typically outlive men

by 10 -to- 20 years sometimes... that

means if you want to be with a woman

that will have a similar amount of

remaining years as you... she should

be a minimum of 10 years older. and

about up to about 16 years older...

that means us mid 50's guys need to

have a woman about 68... hmmm...

my last long term relationship was

19 years younger than me. she lied and

cheated... previous one was nearly my

same age, lied and cheated... I'd rather

have a long term business relationship

with a younger woman with no intention

of marrying or living together...

Edited by ceolwynn

Why marry? Have had same GF for 6.5 years and we are just fine. She wants to get married but not so important she says. Neither any pressure from her family. Nothing in it for the man, so why this marrying hype in Thailand? Most couples in my home country are unmarried but still lives like a normal family.

I've often wondered why guys are so desperate to get married here.

Why marry? Have had same GF for 6.5 years and we are just fine. She wants to get married but not so important she says. Neither any pressure from her family. Nothing in it for the man, so why this marrying hype in Thailand? Most couples in my home country are unmarried but still lives like a normal family.

I've often wondered why guys are so desperate to get married here.

Poor man Thai Elite

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been married to my Thai wife for 11 years and still very happy! She has a generous heart, great sense of humor and is a supportive, loyal and loving partner. Can't imagine life without her. We live in the US but do vacation in Thailand every so often. Based on my experience, the biggest piece of advice I can give is that you have patience. My wife feels things very deeply, but also gets over things quickly. So the odd time when she gets upset about something it's important I give her some space to let her work through whatever is bothering her. She doesn't go off the rails like some but just gets very quiet. Usually within a short time she's back to her happy self. Eventually she will open up and tell me what was up but I've learned not to push her when she's upset. The upside is she feels love deeply as well and that's the payoff! I also give her control over the household budget for food and such. I've done this from day 1 and she has learned to be quite responsible with the money over the years. Believe me that this is a learned behavior as financial responsibility did not come naturally to her. But having her manage a small amount then increase her responsibility over time as she learned has been a great learning experience for her and helps keep financial tensions in check. Now she tries to teach her family the skill of budgeting and sticking to it. Not too sure it's working with them but it's good to see her thinking this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
42 minutes ago, LionofMedaCM said:

Every time when I read these nonsense lies I feel depressed with panic attacks, why you have to accuse nomads living on camels pee and tents on falsification banknotes?  how can these middle eastern with their lazy life habit and consumption culture being able to make false bank note? Please think twice before post bullshit lies news 

All fake paper in Thailand done by Thai, at least if after all these years there is a Thai generation that looks middle easter 

On 10/29/2017 at 7:47 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

No requirements for those married to EU citizens. Apart from the marriage certificate.

My wife is 24 years younger than me we have been married 20 odd years here and in the UK courted for a year before that. Her family are quite well off . We have been back here in Thailand for 11 years we laugh and joke every day at the moment she is watching one of her favourite progs The Grand Tour. While i play on my phone .life with her is fantastic.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 9:21 AM, USNret said:

I'm 57, married nearly 10 years to a much younger wife.  We have a baby girl nearly 1 year old.  Very happy.  We lived in Thailand the first 2 years (plus dated for 2 years before that).  Then Japan for 3 years. Now in Hawaii.  I'm about to retire & we'll return to Thailand for a couple of years.  

My wife is very gentle and patient, as one must be as I'm not the easiest to get along with.  Our marriage is drama-free.  She works at home & makes a decent living.  Anything she earns will be used to support her parents as they age. I support the 3 of us. I had several "criteria" for a potential bride when I was single which included:  (1) She must have a college degree (she has 3) to show that she can apply herself; (2) Must get along with her parents & siblings.  They are very very close & loving Thai-Chinese family (3rd generation in Thailand).  My wife is not a partier; doesn't drink; we are both more or less introverts and we get along perfectly together. 

I feel very blessed; our marriage has enriched my life greatly.  

You followed the cardinal rule. You took your time getting to know her, and now you are reaping the benefits of your patience, and your wisdom. This is such a common mistake. Most women want to step up the timetable, and if a man is not strong, and does not stick to his principals, or have a determined agenda, he is often overwhelmed by her lack of patience, and the fact that alot of women want it all, and they want it yesterday. You are blessed. You found a good one. Me too. I took 9 years before marrying her. And she has become a BETTER version of herself, since we got married! In a million years, that would not have happened in the US.

For the men out there who are trying to find their way, in this rather complicated arena, always remember one thing. Take your time. The bottom line is this. Take your time getting to know a woman here, or anywhere. Time is your ally. It is rarely their ally. They are usually trying to step up the timetable. We need to push back. We need to assert control. An environment like this allows us to do so. Take advantage of that. Be a man. Step up. Pay tribute to the gender. Refuse to lay down anymore. Refuse to be a doormat. Refuse to check your cajones at the door. Start making the decisions, and stop saying "honey what do you want?". "What will make you happy?" "Where do you want to eat?" I have so many friends, who come here, and from the very start, make the same mistakes they made back in the West. Except here, they do not need to make those mistakes. The environment does not dictate that they behave like lambs. Many do not know, or realize that, or they succumb to "force of habit". Every ship needs a captain. If the man is not willing to be the captain of the ship, the woman will take over, here in Thailand. Most women here seem to want a strong man. But, if they end up with a wimp, they will take charge. Someone has to.

Always remember, if it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are problems, or if she is a big baby, who only looks like a real woman, but in reality is a 13 year old, or if she is a con artist, if she is only in it for the money, those realizations will manifest themselves over time. Time allows clarity. Never, ever move too quickly. That is the undoing of most of these guys. Be like Bond. be a real man. Man up. Do yourself proud. 2 years minimum, before you commit large sums of cash, or commit to marriage. And that is two years, full time! Now is the time to show who you are. 

And lastly, the one about getting along with the parents is a good one. Often, that is a sign of an emotionally healthy woman. When I used to date, the two questions I would ask were-

1. How is your relationship with your mom and dad? How about your siblings?

2. What is the most money you have ever spent on a handbag? Wow. Was that ever a revealing question. The answers were all over the map, but inevitably demonstrated alot about her character. 

40 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Met mine, also much younger, agreed a purchase price with her and her mom, married 2 weeks later.

After 9 years and a child, she's finished high school and completed 2 years at University.

Marriage to an educated woman my own age who I dated for 2 years before marriage, complete disaster.

Tell me about these rules again?

We all know there are always going to be exceptions to any rules. You were fortunate, despite not following these rules. Kudos to you for that. And continued good fortune. But, we all hear alot of disaster stories, and they tend to be infinitely more common than the success stories. And I would bet alot of these disasters started with men who did not take their time getting to know their women. 

hi i meet my wife in phuket in 2004 only knew her for 4 days after 5 months .came back to thailand for 2 weeks got a marrage visa in australia.we got married in march 2006 we live in aus for 5 years then i got a new job working in bahrain so we moved to thailand so i did,t have to pay tax. we have a 7 year old son  i wish i had meet my wife 20 years ago she a very good cook looks after me all the time love her 

• Like 1