Hands up – who would miss the British Embassy?

Inspire

Hands up – who would miss the British Embassy?

british-embassy1.jpg

Some while back a story emerged that seemed to suggest that the British Embassy in Bangkok was to close. Close I thought?… for all intents and purposes hadn’t it done so already.

There might still be an ambassador around to go to Pimm’s parties and a skeleton staff to play tennis but they seemed to have farmed out all their visa work to agents leaving just a rubber stamp on someone’s desk next to an unfinished copy of the Daily Mail.

And we always hear stories of the consular section who are unaware of the cases of its citizens in dire trouble – like the one reported this week of the British man who used to live here who was up on drugs charges after being arrested on a bus in Sukhumvit. And where were they during the Hua Hin attack on the Owen family? If they got involved at all they certainly kept the lowest of the low diplomatic profiles.

When visas were actually processed at the embassy’s sprawling grounds in Wireless Road there used to be a perceived modicum of service. Even if it was processed according to speeds itemized in the British government’s “Guide for Snails’ Pace” and at rates per page of documents that were and still are exorbitant and nothing but fleecing. These were also rendered in baht at a mythical rate well in favor of the government and always out of date.

My first experience there was appalling. Crowded and mismanaged the staff ensconced behind their protective glass would shout at the top of their collective voices often belittling the customers whose duty it was for them to serve. The expats and the local staff were all of the same ilk. A visit to the British Embassy was to be dreaded and put off for as long as possible and if possible, completely avoided. Travelling across continents with young children in tow was but little compared to the trauma of a British embassy visit.

The first time I really had to deal with them was back in the early nineties when I needed to get my new wife a visa. After an extremely long wait of nearly two months we were eventually granted an interview. The woman on our case had a distinct German accent and her mission it seemed was to deny visas at all costs – rather in the vein of “keep ‘em out’ immigration officer Ian Foot (David Walliams) on British comedy Come Fly With Me.

She muttered to my wife in Thai – I pretended not to understand but sometimes I actually didn’t. Her Thai language was so appallingly incoherent and poorly structured. Galling to have this woman try to keep my wife out of the country that had given this officer a cushy home.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/hands-miss-british-embassy/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-06-12

What is the point of having an embassy but to help people.
British embassy has never helped anyone.
When i had a problem a few years ago, and was in police custody the British embassy were a total waste of time.
I got a phone call from the embassy when i was in the cells, given the mans name/ number.

When i was out on bail i phoned to speak with him, and i was told he is on holiday, nobody else can help you.

I suppose the most important question is what will British citizens do if they need help?

Help themselves - just as they do now. Remember the Embassy's pathetic response to the tsunami in 2004?

I suppose the most important question is what will British citizens do if they need help?

Help themselves - just as they do now. Remember the Embassy's pathetic response to the tsunami in 2004?
I actually mean things like getting an ETD and more 'mundane' help.

Being in the fortunate (maybe!) position of having multiple passports I can say that the author can be assured the grass is most certainly not greener on the other side. When I compare to the two other embassies I visit for passport and visa related issues the British embassy is the more efficient.

Though of course this is a relative term. Applying for visas etc is never a pleasant experience.

Wrong. The primary purpose of an embassy these days is to promote trade and business.

Promoting business may even be secondary to political influence, but no doubt either is superior to helping citizens with their private affairs.

The Embassy in a foreign country are primarily not there for a citizen of that country.They are there for diplomatic services between the countries and assistance in business transactions. The citizens are come after the other business of the embassy s.Most embassy s would love to not have to deal with it's citizens.You have very little rights in your embassy..I have seen some people show up at the American Embassy wanting to go in for some passport business or other things and when told that they have to make an appointment on line by the clerk working the desk.They then start demanding their rights to enter there as a citizen.Also they want to talk to an American and not the local working there. When handed the phone to the inside these idiots start yelling over the phone about his rights.Next is his arrest if he persist to show his stubbornness in not leaving. If the embassy of your country left you would be a world of hurt.How would you get a new passport? how would you have proof of income for different visas? Many things you need it for .The embassy will never leave except in a case or war or other hostilities..They may retire to anouther site when their lease runs out as the land they are on is that's embassy's land only as long as the lease stands.

Wrong. The primary purpose of an embassy these days is to promote trade and business.

Not just "these days" but always the primary purpose has been for trade and diplomatic business.

OK hands Up. First of all the embassy is not your mama and daddy.They are not responsible for getting druggies out of jail or even to represent them in court..Any thing happening to your family comes under Thai law .The embassy can and will at time try to assist you in contacting someone in your home country to help you. They are not going to loan you money without a guarantee of sorts.They are not scanning the news for reports of their citizens in Thailand so that they can rush to their aid. You need something then you contact them and not the other way. When you are here on a visa thats your business not their's

Yes your 100% right Oxx---I had at one point thought of importing a product , into Thailand, the Embassy could not have been more helpful with contact numbers charts of sales in different areas etc. Talk to them about a one off citizen who is in trouble & about prison visits, for some Embassy its just a blank wall. There's exceptions---- The scandi's on a the whole do try to help ---will inform relations , will except letters from their countries , money can be sent to them & they will see that it does get into the persons account....... The Irish probably the best Embassy I have had to deal with (to be fair I have only dealt with about 15 out of all of them here) they will even see that the prisoner get a monthly allowance to buy food--(yes if you want edible food in a Thai prison you need to buy it from the traders inside).

The American wont a bounden their citizens if they are stuck with no money ---they will get them back to the USA but that person has to clear the loan (that includes quite high other costs) before they will issue him a passport again---the last person I dealt with for that wrote to me that it cost him $us12,000 to be returned to America from Cambodia. The American Embassy also has a volunteer groups around the country---(called sheriffs ) you can contact the embassy through them---although one of their main jobs is to get hold of your passport if you should die & make sure that no more SS payments are made, so if your wife is not included in your payments-----you really do not want the embassy knowing. I think that goes for many other Embassy's ---I know many Brits who have instructed their wives that upon their death any inquiry is to be told that he was an Oz....& all his papers lost a long time ago---- then keep visiting the ATM for as long as possible.

Edited by oxo1947

Yes your 100% right Oxx---I had at one point thought of importing a product , into Thailand, the Embassy could not have been more helpful with contact numbers charts of sales in different areas etc. Talk to them about a one off citizen who is in trouble & about prison visits, for some Embassy its just a blank wall. There's exceptions---- The scandi's on a the whole do try to help ---will inform relations , will except letters from their countries , money can be sent to them & they will see that it does get into the persons account....... The Irish probably the best Embassy I have had to deal with (to be fair I have only dealt with about 15 out of all of them here) they will even see that the prisoner get a monthly allowance to buy food--(yes if you want edible food in a Thai prison you need to buy it from the traders inside).

The American wont a bounden their citizens if they are stuck with no money ---they will get them back to the USA but that person has to clear the loan (that includes quite high other costs) before they will issue him a passport again---the last person I dealt with for that wrote to me that it cost him $us12,000 to be returned to America from Cambodia. The American Embassy also has a volunteer groups around the country---(called sheriffs ) you can contact the embassy through them---although one of their main jobs is to get hold of your passport if you should die & make sure that no more SS payments are made, so if your wife is not included in your payments-----you really do not want the embassy knowing. I think that goes for many other Embassy's ---I know many Brits who have instructed their wives that upon their death any inquiry is to be told that he was an Oz....& all his papers lost a long time ago---- then keep visiting the ATM for as long as possible.

''Visit the ATM as long as possible'' that is fraud and the banks have cctv and know who picks the money up, the missus may well end up in debt and in jail. The Authorities know who you are if you have been getting extensions of stay.

Most people only need assistance from British Embassies (aside from renewing passports and the more 'mundane' services) when they are faced with extreme difficulties. And in that respect - I would certainly not lament the closing of the Thailand office of the British Embassy.

My wife and I are victims of a pernicious property fraud (involving local Thai government agencies) that is threatening to leave us both homeless and penniless. We therefore contacted the British ambassador (Mark Kent) directly and received absolutely no response whatsoever. We then contacted the Embassy itself for help - and again were informed that there was nothing they could do. However, they did forward us their list of 'recommended' legal firms that offered ''pro bono'' assistance. We contacted all the law firms on the list - and not one of them provided ''pro bono'' services!

To be fair, the British Embassy in Hong Kong is equally unfriendly and unhelpful. In fact I am convinced that to work in a British Embassy you need to be innately rude with a total lack of diplomacy, tact and patience. IMHO compared with other countries, the British Embassies are not only a disgrace but arguably the worst in the world. If the British government decided tomorrow to close them all down I very much that they would be missed!

My wife and I are victims of a pernicious property fraud (involving local Thai government agencies) that is threatening to leave us both homeless and penniless. We therefore contacted the British ambassador (Mark Kent) directly and received absolutely no response whatsoever. We then contacted the Embassy itself for help - and again were informed that there was nothing they could do. However, they did forward us their list of 'recommended' legal firms that offered ''pro bono'' assistance. We contacted all the law firms on the list - and not one of them provided ''pro bono'' services!

Oh, grow up. Why do you expect a law firm to provide you assistance for free? The fact that they didn't agree to work for you pro bono for you doesn't mean they don't do pro bono work. Pro bono work is for desperate, deserving cases. You don't fall into that category.

For that matter, if you were a victim of property fraud, how much did you spend on lawyers before entering into the contract? Are you a victim of your own stupidity? And if not, pursue the issue with the legal firm you spent money on for due diligence.

And Embassies can't interfere with with local legal system, so your expectation that they would is quite frankly ludicrous.

Oh, grow up. Why do you expect a law firm to provide you assistance for free? The fact that they didn't agree to work for you pro bono for you doesn't mean they don't do pro bono work. Pro bono work is for desperate, deserving cases. You don't fall into that category.

For that matter, if you were a victim of property fraud, how much did you spend on lawyers before entering into the contract? Are you a victim of your own stupidity? And if not, pursue the issue with the legal firm you spent money on for due diligence.

And Embassies can't interfere with with local legal system, so your expectation that they would is quite frankly ludicrous.

Oh hum - there's always one isn't there!

Clearly reading comprehension is not one of your strengths is it? (along with any sense of compassion or consideration for others!) I NEVER claimed that my wife and I expected the British Embassy to fight our case, affect Thai law or pay for our legal representation. We only contacted them to see if they can offer us any help. In fact, it was THEY who sent us a list of legal firms offering 'pro bono' assistance - and the point I was making (which obviously went over your head by a country mile) is when we checked NOT ONE of them did so!

As for your churlish remark that 'pro bono' work is for 'desperate, deserving cases. You do not fall into that category'. So apart from being a smartarse and incapable of reading plain English, you are also clairvoyant! How the hell do YOU know our situation? And if you had actually taken the time to R-E-A-D what I wrote you will see that I mention we are faced with homelessness and pennilessness. I suppose in your self-absorbed world this does not constitute a 'desperate situation' does it?!

In fact, it was THEY who sent us a list of legal firms offering 'pro bono' assistance - and the point I was making (which obviously went over your head by a country mile) is when we checked NOT ONE of them did so!

And you are apparently incapable of understanding that they don't do pro bono work for your case. It simply doesn't fit into the "deserving enough" category.

If the embassy of your country left you would be a world of hurt.How would you get a new passport?

I'll answer for the British:

We would continue using their agents in Sukhumvit Soi 13.

Zero change really.

You could fly back to London.

It's quite nice there at this time of year.

And you are clearly retarded! For the THIRD time - we DID NOT ask the British Embassy for a list of legal firms offering 'pro bono' sevices. It was they that sent us the list. Got it know dummy?

No, you are the retarded one. The British Embassy provided you with a list of legal firms which sometimes provide pro bono services. They were trying to help. However, your case didn't meet their criteria, so you were denied.

By the way, and I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but it's "now" not "know". Still, further evidence for mental retardation.