Is Everything Produced or Supplied Here 2nd Rate or what?

Generalchaos

I have been using a Remington for almost 11 years now and not a problem, I might add that it was bought at the Duty Free shop at Abu Dhabi airport. I cut my hair to No. 2 level and it works great.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using a Remington for almost 11 years now and not a problem, I might add that it was bought at the Duty Free shop at Abu Dhabi airport. I cut my hair to No. 2 level and it works great.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought the subject was about goods produced or supplied here in LOS ?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought the subject was about goods produced or supplied here in LOS ?

Things tend to come off the rails after a while......like Chinese whispers! One minute you are discussing cats and before you know it we will be talking about the benefits of owning a Unicorn.

A lot of stuff that gave confidence had the Made in Germany label but for a long time now it has covered crap that is/was made in East Germany. Lawn mowers that fall apart quickly etc.

A lot of stuff made in Thailand has material bought on the cheap from China.

I won't comment on large purchases such as cars, refrigerators, washing machines, etc., since as has been pointed out these items are under the control of large corporations who have a stake in quality. But other items -- the day to day stuff -- coffee pots, can openers, hand tools, etc. are generally pretty crappy. It seems to be that if it looks good, fine. If it actually serves its purpose, well that's a bonus! I can't think of all the little things I've bought that broke on first use or simply didn't do the job for which they were designed. Quite frustrating.

I have a lot of things around the house that are Thai made I'll post one. I've used it every day for 3 years and it is still like new.

Ask anyone where the "delat not" is. Every Thai town I've lived in has had at least one. I buy a lot of stuff there. Cheap and most of the time no problems.

Quite a step up from the one I have in Lao! Mine is actually made of rebar, no kidding.

Most of the things I have bought here have fallen apart, rusted or died prematurely. Things bought abroad... I still use them. I have a few Thai things that have lasted but not many.

Thailand and some neighboring countries get a lot of products that don't pass Western quality control. Zippers on the wrong side, sleeves too long, items tagged and stickered incorrectly, and so on. And that doesn't even touch on the bootleg items sold as real items that were cheaply manufactured in China.

There is a US jeans store in one of the new malls that had boxes piled up one day and they were all marked for an "outlet" store right on the box in red. They are rejects being sold in the mall at higher prices than they sell for abroad!

Nice racket.

But I'd also bet most Thais don't know the difference because they don't know what good quality is to begin with.

Edited by dcnx

I'm surprised his first set of wahls only last 25 years.

I've got a set here that I bought way back when, actually they are the first electric clippers ever released by them and they're still going strong.

Nothing is what is use to be, old fridges use to last 40 years and more, these day most things are less than 10 years

Most of the things I have bought here have fallen apart, rusted or died prematurely. Things bought abroad... I still use them. I have a few Thai things that have lasted but not many.

Thailand and some neighboring countries get a lot of products that don't pass Western quality control. Zippers on the wrong side, sleeves too long, items tagged and stickered incorrectly, and so on. And that doesn't even touch on the bootleg items sold as real items that were cheaply manufactured in China.

There is a US jeans store in one of the new malls that had boxes piled up one day and they were all marked for an "outlet" store right on the box in red. They are rejects being sold in the mall at higher prices than they sell for abroad!

Nice racket.

But I'd also bet most Thais don't know the difference because they don't know what good quality is to begin with.

Do you have a hard drive made in Thailand? What about an automobile? How about a Teak house? Do you have any Thai Silk? My home is filled with good quality Thai things purchased by my Thai family. Many are very old and still look wonderful.

Nice racket.

Do you have a hard drive made in Thailand? What about an automobile? How about a Teak house? Do you have any Thai Silk? My home is filled with good quality Thai things purchased by my Thai family. Many are very old and still look wonderful.

That's true for some of my in-laws as well but the telling statement in your post is 'they are very old and still look wonderful'

Most stuff produced nowadays is not built to to last.

Nice racket.

You are stretching it thin. Coincidentally I have gone through more hard drives since living over here than I ever have in my life.

Nice racket.

You are stretching it thin. Coincidentally I have gone through more hard drives since living over here than I ever have in my life.

I believe Thailand makes most of the hard drives everywhere in the world doesn't it? Cars? Gee there are a lot of really old Mercedes on the roads here eh? Someone must keep them running.

LOL....Yep but most of those old Merc's have Nissan engines and any part they can get hold of to keep them running....There are FEW Merc parts still in the OLD MERC Bodies.....Start looking deeper into it and you will be really surprised....

Why are the Honda Mower motors not allowed to be sold in Aus, Can, USA, etc etc?....they don't come up to scratch with pollution and noise control.

Cutting corners may make you money, but eventually the penny drops and the buying public wake up.

I have a MADE IN THAILAND ride on mower thats unbreakable and has a Diesel engine...why is it unbreakable? It is made in Thailand....but I made it myself to be sure it would work longer than a pressed tin one that's overpriced and inferior built....from junk bought in from China to assemble....with NO spare parts available anywhere in the country.....

Even Steel used in construction and Machinery in nearly all countries in Asia is far below good quality....why....China can produce it cheaper, so thats where they buy it from...BUT charge the same as good quality Steel from a reputable Country that supplies it..

You buy, you cry...simple.

LOL....Yep but most of those old Merc's have Nissan engines and any part they can get hold of to keep them running....There are FEW Merc parts still in the OLD MERC Bodies.....Start looking deeper into it and you will be really surprised....

Why are the Honda Mower motors not allowed to be sold in Aus, Can, USA, etc etc?....they don't come up to scratch with pollution and noise control.

Cutting corners may make you money, but eventually the penny drops and the buying public wake up.

I have a MADE IN THAILAND ride on mower thats unbreakable and has a Diesel engine...why is it unbreakable? It is made in Thailand....but I made it myself to be sure it would work longer than a pressed tin one that's overpriced and inferior built....from junk bought in from China to assemble....with NO spare parts available anywhere in the country.....

Even Steel used in construction and Machinery in nearly all countries in Asia is far below good quality....why....China can produce it cheaper, so thats where they buy it from...BUT charge the same as good quality Steel from a reputable Country that supplies it..

Maybe you should ask someone who knows something about steel as there are 3500 different grades. No one country has the best of all types and prices and value it depends on what kind of steel you want.

Everything I have ever bought here doesn't last. When you take it back, the staff have no clue what you are talking about. iPhone warrantees are are good for the country you buy it. Anything that is any good has been imported. The prices are higher and the quite sucks. As Willyumiii said:

I have a friend who is convinced that since Thai people NEVER return defective merchandise that many manufactures ship merchandise to Thailand that will not pass quality control.

On this I agree very much.

Everything I have ever bought here doesn't last. When you take it back, the staff have no clue what you are talking about. iPhone warrantees are are good for the country you buy it. Anything that is any good has been imported. The prices are higher and the quite sucks. As Willyumiii said:

I have a friend who is convinced that since Thai people NEVER return defective merchandise that many manufactures ship merchandise to Thailand that will not pass quality control.

I took my Samsung Galaxy S5 back after 2 years and it was fixed for free (Samsung Factory shop). I bought a year old Samsung Note 4 and took it back after 2 months and they have it now and sent it to the Samsung factory repair facility. I don't think I will be charged anything. I'll let you know when I get it back. I'll be buying a new Note 6/7 when it comes out because I have been impressed with both the service and quality of the two other Samsung phones I have purchased in Thailand.

I believe Thailand makes most of the hard drives everywhere in the world doesn't it?

Maybe they do, but I'm convinced that the Thailand HD market gets to keep the ones that don't pass the tests for export quality.

I took my Samsung Galaxy S5 back after 2 years and it was fixed for free (Samsung Factory shop). I bought a year old Samsung Note 4 and took it back after 2 months and they have it now and sent it to the Samsung factory repair facility. I don't think I will be charged anything. I'll let you know when I get it back. I'll be buying a new Note 6/7 when it comes out because I have been impressed with both the service and quality of the two other Samsung phones I have purchased in Thailand.

Maybe you should ask someone who knows something about steel as there are 3500 different grades. No one country has the best of all types and prices and value it depends on what kind of steel you want.

Dont know what you googled to get the info from.....But i have been using steel for the last 50yrs or so.....so i have got a fair idea.

Instead of trolling everyone who comments on here, why not just read and learn from people who didn't just read about it in a book and become an expert...

Dont know what you googled to get the info from.....But i have been using steel for the last 50yrs or so.....so i have got a fair idea.

Instead of trolling everyone who comments on here, why not just read and learn from people who didn't just read about it in a book and become an expert...

Thailand is the 7th largest steel IMPORTER of steel in the world.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-world-s-top-iron-and-steel-importers.html

Thailand is the 2nd largest net importer of steel in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_steel_production

Where was the steel you used in Thailand made?

I believe Thailand makes most of the hard drives everywhere in the world doesn't it?

Maybe they do, but I'm convinced that the Thailand HD market gets to keep the ones that don't pass the tests for export quality.

Consumer-grade hard disks get very limited real quality testing at the end of the chain. That would take quite some time and thus be too costly. Therefore I kind of doubt that they are sorted like this.

Anyway, the only easily obtainable objective measure of a new drive's "quality" would be the number of bad blocks detected and redirected at the end of the manufacturing chain. This is an information easily pulled from the disk using any of the disk health utilities (some are free). Then you may want to compare the figures you get with what people buying the same disk model in the west get.

I do agree that disks fail more often in Thailand. However this can be easily explained by the more adverse conditions in which they operate: temperature and poor electrical current quality (spikes etc.)

Edited by Lannig

I do agree that disks fail more often in Thailand. However this can be easily explained by the more adverse conditions in which they operate: temperature and poor electrical current quality (spikes etc.)

I'd go with that if it weren't for the 10 years I spent in China where the indoor temperature wasn't very well controlled and neither was the power grid. Yet I lose a lot more HD's here than I ever did in China.

It could still be the environment or the fact that typical HD's were in the 100-500GB sizes (mostly brought from the USA because I didn't trust the local quality) when I lived there and now I'm buying 2TB drives.

My main job was sourcing, QA, and failure analysis in China, and they absolutely have different local and export quality goods in many arenas. It would make sense that they do the same in Thailand. Maybe not in HD's. but I'm naturally cynical after what I saw in China.

Edited by impulse

I'd go with that if it weren't for the 10 years I spent in China where the indoor temperature wasn't very well controlled and neither was the power grid. Yet I lose a lot more HD's here than I ever did in China.

It could still be the environment or the fact that typical HD's were in the 100-500GB sizes (mostly brought from the USA because I didn't trust the local quality) when I lived there and now I'm buying 2TB drives.

My main job was sourcing, QA, and failure analysis in China, and they absolutely have different local and export quality goods in many arenas. It would make sense that they do the same in Thailand. Maybe not in HD's. but I'm naturally cynical after what I saw in China.

I had many contracts that forbade steel from China or India.

Well, this kind of goes against Impulse's point which was that the good stuff is exported laugh.png

Well what can one say as most of the time im busy fixing the sh**t im left with as they walk away & overpaid thinking theyve done a good job

Thats when you trot down to the local hardware to buy something that is made in China like most of the world (one can only hope it lasts ) becuase its what most people can only afford unless you pay 10 times more for german or american stuff.

Bought many items that have fell apart within the week & then you get the shop assistances tampering with it

Buy 2 ready to assemble cupbards (same) , get home after 20 min traffic & after finding out that one had a normal top instead of stainless had to go back (they got another box & just swapped the top)

Bought pool filter from global waited 2 -3 mths while pool finish only to find out it had no seal (a nightmare) as it was to late to take back & the pool shop was giving me any O ring to try & saying ok mai at 450 bht ( no idea)

Ive got to keep reminding the wife that they will sell you any sh**t here as long as they get money

PS After buying O ring for 70 bht then the same again the next day but 3mm thick & not 4.5 a few shops down they wanted 180 bht & told him i just bought from your brother yesterday at 70 I will give you 100 bht He said ok

Well, this kind of goes against Impulse's point which was that the good stuff is exported

Tough to tell the good stuff from the bad stuff when they willingly falsify the material certs. Some Chinese factories can make excellent steel- and some amazing exotic alloys. But many will ship whatever they have on hand- with whatever paperwork they have to fabricate to get paid.

Edited by impulse

Bought a Macbook Pro Retina. Back for repairs 5 times while under warrantee. Last time the SSD card went (just after warrantee expired), had to buy a new one. I am sure even Apple stuff here is 2nd class. Anything good I need, I will wait until I go back to Oz to buy. Besides, they don't have much variety in quality goods. A few high priced things, and a lot of poor quality.