AIS mobile stole my money for apps I did not approve...what to do

The other day I logged into my AIS web account and found that AIS has been charging me 6 bath per day for something they told me they are not sure about. Later they said I agreed to a Thai news service via a telephone call and then later said I accepted this service via a website. They refunded me for the past 3 months but refuse to refund for the remaining 3 months. Saying I should get it from the third party provider. I obviously told them what I thought about them passing the buck. Any advice? Legal action to take? I can not let them steal my money and they just walk away. I'm sure I'm one of thousands of the victims but only one of a few who is willing to take them on until they pay! I'm not local!!

Do not believe there would be much lawyer interest in a 540 baht case. Understand not wanting to be ripped off but perhaps a provider change would be a better choice of actions. There is always the possibility that you may have clicked on something inadvertently (they design that to happen) and indeed agreed to service. Many people report such issues.

My only other option is DTAC which is not good for me and my AIS Fibre with which I'm happy with. And not that AIS would care if they lose a customer. Here in the LOS no company could care less! My lawyer recommend I launch a complaint with the Consumer Protection Office. http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN. While it may be worth the try, I know LOS well enough to know nothing substantial will happen in the first 5 years of my complaint launch. Will this place ever wake up!

I had the same thing a few years ago....

MMS message from MCOT news.

I was working overseas, my Thai phone was off for 6 weeks.

Upon turning it on momentarily I was inundated with about 40 multimedia messages from the Thai News Network MCOT - all messages were in Thai.

I called AIS straight away and complained about the messages.

When I received my Bill I saw approximately 6000 baht of MMS charges (for receiving MMS while roaming overseas).

I contested this and asked AIS to show where I had agreed to this. I accused AIS of giving out my number to a 3rd party.

It took a week or so before AIS agreed to wave the charges and I remained with AIS for a further 5 years until I encountered a further billing issue which they would not rectify or help me with (*read on for off topic comments).... .

-------

*Offtopic:

I received a call from AIS to switch to 4G - Same price, so I agreed.

After a couple of months my phone stopped working, no network, no outgoing or incoming calls, no sms etc...

I called AIS, who told me I'd not been paying my bill - this was strange as for 8 years or so my bills had been direct debited.

It turned out, that when AIS had switched me to 4G it was also a different billing account - I had to re-apply for Direct-Debit, except this time what was simple in the past was not simple, after further 2 months of the run around I gave up - but was not permitted to go back to my previous account (billing system)

Added to which - I didn't receive the promotion I was promised - my Monthly bill increased from about 800 baht to 1200 baht... AIS wouldn't put me on my previous promotion.

Up until this point AIS had been excellent... however, this was too much for me, I closed the account and moved to TrueMove.

Edited by richard_smith237

IMHO, just suck it up and move on - stress is a killer!

Also think yourself lucky that they made any kind of refund!

Some years ago when I retired to Spain and not speaking Spanish, I had internet and fixed phone from the national telephone carrier.

They charged me for antivirus services that I didn't sign up for.

They admitted their error but refused any refund!

So, great if you can go and get busy with something else and forget about this.

Just be vigilant for the future and keep smiling.

As Lopbury said, you may have signed up accidentally.....

Edited by laislica

Er, at the risk of getting heated replies, are you people who've been facing such a situation 100% sure that you're the only one using your mobile phone? no GF/BF son/daughter/relative having access to it?

I have found myself paying for Android games until I activated the password-protected purchase on Google Play Store... I know for sure that I did not buy them but I eventually found out who did.

I find it a bit hard to believe that a company like AIS would subscribe you to a contents service they charge for without any kind of action from you or anyone who gets hold of your handset...

Er, at the risk of getting heated replies, are you people who've been facing such a situation 100% sure that you're the only one using your mobile phone? no GF/BF son/daughter/relative having access to it?

I have found myself paying for Android games until I activated the password-protected purchase on Google Play Store... I know for sure that I did not buy them but I eventually found out who did.

I find it a bit hard to believe that a company like AIS would subscribe you to a contents service they charge for without any kind of action from you or anyone who gets hold of your handset...

Its not unknown in Thailand for employees (of various companies) to give out contact lists to marketing companies...

Business practices when carried out without a watchdog are not exactly unscrupulous.

Additionally - I don't think its AIS who are subscribing us, they are just the carrier. In my case MCOT managed to get my number from somewhere (not myself or my Wife) and subscribe me to a ThaiNews MMS.

BUT, as AIS are the carrier they must be responsible for charges we have not agreed to. Its up to them to take this up with the 3rd parties who have subscribed us without our permission.

Even my wife (Thai) once fell in such a subscription trap.

Got news messages again and again for a cost.

Asked the expert in the house (granddaughter).

Some hacking on the keys (yes it's long ago) and the spook was over.

No lawyer, no consumer protection involved.

Loss written off.

Are you sure that such services will not be pushed through other networks?

If you are in the AIS online service go to the point where SMS adverts etc. are managed and stop them all.

That's what I did quite a while ago.

Don't hack any USSD codes (*nnn#) without being sure what it is.

It's also years ago that I last got an unwanted advert call in Thai language.

Hang up immediately.

Edited by KhunBENQ

happen to me for AIS, just suck it up and move on...can't be bother to chase down couple hundred baht difference and all the headache...but if you want to complain, I heard consumer protection board is pretty good at handling cases

Its not unknown in Thailand for employees (of various companies) to give out contact lists to marketing companies...

Which results in your getting spammed by SMS ads? of course they do, but that's nothing like subscribing you to paid contents.

Additionally - I don't think its AIS who are subscribing us, they are just the carrier. In my case MCOT managed to get my number from somewhere (not myself or my Wife) and subscribe me to a ThaiNews MMS.

BUT, as AIS are the carrier they must be responsible for charges we have not agreed to. Its up to them to take this up with the 3rd parties who have subscribed us without our permission.

Sorry but I'm not taking this. MCOT, a state-owned company, doing this kind of fraud? There must be another explanation, like a free trial period of this service bundled with a contract subscribed with AIS and overlooked... or someone messing with your phone as I suggested.

I think they have a scam going at the moment or someone in their organisation is selling numbers, I have an ordinary phone , not a smart phone and at the end of may I was getting messages about something called the daily clip which I thought was just advertising so just deleted did not use my phone for a week and then wanted to make a call, message from AIS you have no credit but their were a great number of service request messages in what they called the in box, went to AIS shop and they blocked one of the providers but said that I would have to contact the other provider myself, did not do anything but have had no messages since. if it were not for the hassle of letting everyone know of number change I would go to another provider but for 50 Baht not worth the hassle

My only other option is DTAC which is not good for me and my AIS Fibre with which I'm happy with. And not that AIS would care if they lose a customer. Here in the LOS no company could care less! My lawyer recommend I launch a complaint with the Consumer Protection Office. http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN. While it may be worth the try, I know LOS well enough to know nothing substantial will happen in the first 5 years of my complaint launch. Will this place ever wake up!

No need to change providers just the sim. Unfortunatly you will have a new number to contact to your friends but if you think the inconvenience is worth it, otherwise just accept snd cancel for the future. Just a PS. if your phone has been costing you B6 every day how come you did not notice it for six months? Surely everyone would realise money was missing before yhe length of time

Forget about any court, you won't win, and in the very off chance that you did, it would cost you a lot more than what AIS took from you.

About two years ago, AIS charged me for something I didn't ask for, when I went to complain, the girl just waved her hands and said "no no".

I told her to get her boss, again she said "no no". I told get I would sit here all day if I had to till the boss came. I just sat there for about 15 mins

then the boss came, she spoke English, I told her what happened, she then took me in behind the counter, fixed everything out said "solly" and

offered me a cup of coffee, which I turned down as I don't drink the stuff.

I have found out that if you stand your ground after being unfairly treated here in Thailand, you will win most times, as long as you make sure you are

in the right.

2 months ago I had sms's charged to my D Tac account. ! minute in the office had me a credit of 990Bht.

Told to come back this month when new bill comes as spill over. Expect 800 Bht + credit tomorrow as well.

No arguments, they just looked it up & agreed that these rogues had got past their blocking system

Go D TAC

i had a similar thing a couple of years ago, i put 100 baht a few times on my phone, and next to no time i had no credit, although i did not make any calls, i rang them up, "oh we charge for internet accesss" i never asked for that, i do not bother with the internet on my phone. i have wi fi in my condo for that.the guy was surprised he said "everyone use internet on their phone", well not me buddy. , i do not want this, and yes i never got my money back. A.I.S.

Let me get this straight. For 12 USD you are calling lawyers and getting legal advice as well as wasting your time posting on forums???? May I suggest you simply change to DTAC or True? What ever happened to time is money? I'm sorry mate but no sympathy here.

i had a similar thing a couple of years ago, i put 100 baht a few times on my phone, and next to no time i had no credit, although i did not make any calls, i rang them up, "oh we charge for internet accesss" i never asked for that, i do not bother with the internet on my phone. i have wi fi in my condo for that.the guy was surprised he said "everyone use internet on their phone", well not me buddy. , i do not want this, and yes i never got my money back. A.I.S.

That's because you had mobile data set to on so of course smart phones use data. This was totally not AIS's fault. Please learn how to use a smart phone before complaining. Obviously your phone showed mobile data being used. Come on man! I'm not being sarcastic but come on!!!!!! You can learn many things on Thai visa tech. 5555

There have been quite a few similar threads here over the years. Some involve third-party app (like FaceBook) notifications delivered over SMS, while others involved football updates, daily horoscopes, lucky lottery numbers, etc.

Typically the subscriber (you) was phished (link on a webpage where you entered your phone number, perhaps for a verification code), or accidentally/inadvertently subscribed to these services. AIS is simply the payment vehicle.

Are you on One-2-Call (prepaid) or AIS (post-paid)?

The best thing you can do is proactively manage/monitor your account; this is easy to do via the web, among many interfaces.

You can try to get a refund from the 3rd party news service provider.

You may be able to lock your One-2-Call account; inquire with them directly.

Thanks for all the responses, some which are quite entertaining. Last night I went to pay my latest AIS bill which I received a few days ago via SMS. When I wanted to pay I was told my balance is ZERO. Obviously AIS started to credit my account for the remaining part of the money they stole from me. I assume the next bill will also be zero, but lets see.

Some comments above suggested I play Thai and just move on. If we all play Thai and move on, can you imagine how much money AIS and others are taking from us? Millions. Yes they only stole 1600 bath from me. For me and you it's pennies and not worth the effort to complain. If they, and they do, take small amounts from millions of subscribers and we all just say "move on and don't waste time", we allow these companies to make great profits from stealing our money.

Sorry I'm such an anal consumer advocate but if we don't stand up against these fraudulent companies, they will make more and more money off us. Even in Thailand we should not allow this.

Details if you are interested:

1. AIS first said I agreed to this 3rd party service via a phone call. I told them to tell me which number called me as I answer no calls unless I know who it is. I get about 1 call a month from friends. I only chat or call via LINE or WhatsApp or FB.

2. Then they said nope, it was a website that I visited and agreed to the service. This must have been a Thai website because the service is in Thai. I can't read or speak any Thai. I told them to stop the excuses.

3. I asked for details about this 3rd party service. On a phone call they said they don't know what it is even I gave a reference number from my bill. They once said it may be a Thai news service via SMS. I can't see any such news service via my SMS's.

4. They keep saying I should take this up with the 3rd party provider. I told them I have NO contract with anyone but AIS and AIS is the one who charged me ad I keep AIS responsible.

Its just so obvious this is fraud. Sure I'm anal but I squirm to think how this adds to millions of extra profits to AIS while most Thais and some non-Thai just say "it's small money, don't waste your time so move on".

BTW, my lawyer said that AIS will give in when I threaten to take this up with the Consumer Protection Office who apparently does work to protect all consumers in Thailand. My lawyer was right. AIS gave my back my money!

Lets keep them honest, even if it takes a bit of effort! If we all don't budge until they refund us they will stop this shit.

Bests!

There have been quite a few similar threads here over the years. Some involve third-party app (like FaceBook) notifications delivered over SMS, while others involved football updates, daily horoscopes, lucky lottery numbers, etc.

Typically the subscriber (you) was phished (link on a webpage where you entered your phone number, perhaps for a verification code), or accidentally/inadvertently subscribed to these services. AIS is simply the payment vehicle.

Are you on One-2-Call (prepaid) or AIS (post-paid)?

The best thing you can do is proactively manage/monitor your account; this is easy to do via the web, among many interfaces.

You can try to get a refund from the 3rd party news service provider.

You may be able to lock your One-2-Call account; inquire with them directly.

I'm on post-pay and would NEVER have provided my phone number in a website I am not 100% sure is authentic and in my best will. No Thai website for sure.

Let me get this straight. For 12 USD you are calling lawyers and getting legal advice as well as wasting your time posting on forums???? May I suggest you simply change to DTAC or True? What ever happened to time is money? I'm sorry mate but no sympathy here.

Mate, thanks for your informative response but if we all think like you, we add millions of dollars of profits to these companies. $12 from 35 million (March 2013 figure) subscribers = $420,000,000 which is 41% of their 2014 profit. I guess once they stop these fraudulent charges they will suffer. Actually I should not care to respond to you because as you say "time is money" :)) Peace to you.

Thanks for all the responses, some which are quite entertaining. Last night I went to pay my latest AIS bill which I received a few days ago via SMS. When I wanted to pay I was told my balance is ZERO. Obviously AIS started to credit my account for the remaining part of the money they stole from me. I assume the next bill will also be zero, but lets see.

Some comments above suggested I play Thai and just move on. If we all play Thai and move on, can you imagine how much money AIS and others are taking from us? Millions. Yes they only stole 1600 bath from me. For me and you it's pennies and not worth the effort to complain. If they, and they do, take small amounts from millions of subscribers and we all just say "move on and don't waste time", we allow these companies to make great profits from stealing our money.

Sorry I'm such an anal consumer advocate but if we don't stand up against these fraudulent companies, they will make more and more money off us. Even in Thailand we should not allow this.

1. AIS first said I agreed to this 3rd party service via a phone call. I told them to tell me which number called me as I answer no calls unless I know who it is. I get about 1 call a month from friends. I only chat or call via LINE or WhatsApp or FB.

2. Then they said nope, it was a website that I visited and agreed to the service. This must have been a Thai website because the service is in Thai. I can't read or speak any Thai. I told them to stop the excuses.

3. I asked for details about this 3rd party service. On a phone call they said they don't know what it is even I gave a reference number from my bill. They once said it may be a Thai news service via SMS. I can't see any such news service via my SMS's.

4. They keep saying I should take this up with the 3rd party provider. I told them I have NO contract with anyone but AIS and AIS is the one who charged me ad I keep AIS responsible.

Its just so obvious this is fraud. Sure I'm anal but I squirm to think how this adds to millions of extra profits to AIS while most Thais and some non-Thai just say "it's small money, don't waste your time so move on".

BTW, my lawyer said that AIS will give in when I threaten to take this up with the Consumer Protection Office who apparently does work to protect all consumers in Thailand. My lawyer was right. AIS gave my back my money!

Lets keep them honest, even if it takes a bit of effort! If we all don't budge until they refund us they will stop this shit.

Bests!

Look mate. I'm sorry to say but you are dead wrong. Number 1, you kept your cellular internet turned on and clearly don't know how smartphones access the Internet for things such as push notifications and so on. Secondly, you clicked on a link in Facebook or another website. It took you to a Thai web site where you clearly click on something and hence the charge. It's automatic charge to your number. This also has nothing to do with AIS except for billing you for your actions on a third party web site. Don't blame the carrier for your ignorance of how the Internet works or how smart phones work. Why the heck do I bother with this forum? What am I doing? I must be bored and it's pissing down rain now, I guess that's why I'm here. 5555

This is not (mostly) AIS profit - it is a 3rd party using AIS to collect your money. Yes AIS should be able and responsible for providing details and cutting off service - but it is not a master plan to take your money and it is all too easy to click on something (especially if in foreign language) that commits you to paying such a fee.

Bests!

Look mate. I'm sorry to say but you are dead wrong. Number 1, you kept your cellular internet turned on and clearly don't know how smartphones access the Internet for things such as push notifications and so on. Secondly, you clicked on a link in Facebook or another website. It took you to a Thai web site where you clearly click on something and hence the charge. It's automatic charge to your number. This also has nothing to do with AIS except for billing you for your actions on a third party web site. Don't blame the carrier for your ignorance of how the Internet works or how smart phones work. Why the heck do I bother with this forum? What am I doing? I must be bored and it's pissing down rain now, I guess that's why I'm here. 5555

:) Yes you are bored as you suggested. I'm very savvy with technology and the internet. Anyhow, you are off the point. This is not about my savvyness but something you are not understanding. Ok, move on please.

A friend of mine had the stupid habit of letting kids play with his phone. Fortunately he was using prepaid. He was being charged for all kinds of crap. I called AIS for him and explained to them that if the SMS messages didn't stop and if the charges didn't stop, he would be finding a new provider. AIS did their job and all the crap stopped. I advised my friend to keep the phone in his pocket and to keep it away from kids.

Bests!

:) Yes you are bored as you suggested. I'm very savvy with technology and the internet. Anyhow, you are off the point. This is not about my savvyness but something you are not understanding. Ok, move on please.

Delete all texts you do not understand, and I think better not to have an account and rather use prepaid.

You could transfer the number to another network provider if you feel so angered, that usually gets their attention.

You would be surprised how easy it is to accidentally subscribe to one of these services: answering a robo-call, dialing a wrong number, opening an email or text, entering your phone number for a verification code (which you did with LINE, WhatsApp!, FaceBook, at a minimum). There are so many ways for this to happen, and in most cases it is done by the end-user (or their child, or a co-worker pranking etc.). In a very few cases - a presentation I saw a few years ago had this rate at 2% - phone numbers are sold (you've probably given your telephone number hundreds of times here). Hotel staff here are a bit known for repurposing client telephone numbers.

I would get in the habit of more diligently managing your account. Download and review your invoice each month, before paying. Dispute any charges. I wouldn't wait six months. The amount of time you spent fashioning responses here could have been better spent perusing your bills.

AIS is legally obligated to share the details of the third-party service (name, address, contact information) with you so you can dispute any fees directly with that service provider. Obviously, you should contact them directly to dispute charges.

You may be able to specially request that any sort of mobile terminated billing/reverse SMS billing be disabled on your account. Push hard on this if you want, and say that "your friend told you that DTAC, or TrueMove H, offer this service" to drive home the request.

Lastly you could ask to port out unless you are made 100% whole; simply ask them about MNP and they will understand. It is easy to port out, and you can probably get a better deal with another provider anyway, all while keeping your current number.

Edited by mtls2005