Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed

Pib

why do you keep downloading small files for tests?

do the tests with 1 GB files please

Sorry...I'm not in torrenting...downloading movies, etc. Take the results as crossfeed only.

torrents is p2p anyway and distorts the results with several open channels.

I transfer stuff from/to my FTP server, sometimes my home server in Switzerland.

Edited by manarak

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give just one more set of data on some speed tests. Below is a chart showing speed tests I ran using the DSLReports HTML5 speedtester when doing "VPN" testing with my True DOCSIS 15/1.5 plan and my new AIS Firbre 50/10 plan "without using VPN." I got the AIS Fibre installed mid day Friday. The AIS Fibre testing was done with a "non-VPN" connection whereas the True testing was done with a VPN connection. This time on Sundas from my experience when using True was the slowest surfing time of the week, but with the AIS Fibre I don't notice any slow down at all.

In below chart almost all of the tests are to the DLSReports "Singapore" server. All of tests reflecting a download speed of less than 20Mb was testing testing with my True DOCSIS 15Mb plan when using a VPN connection to Singapore because a VPN connection was faster to Singapore than a non-VPN connection. Pretty much the first approx 60% of the chart and one 14.64Mb result mixed in with the approx 50Mb results was when using True 15Mb plan.

That one 14.64Mb results mixed in with the approx 50Mb results was a mistake...by mistake, I mean I thought I was using my AIS Fibre 50Mb connection but instead I was still connected to the True 15Mb connection. All the approx 40-50Mb results (the last approx 40% of the chart) are using the AIS Fibre 50Mb with a "non-VPN" connection and represent testing from Friday evening to Sunday night approx 8:30pm. The last few results on the chart I ran around 8:30pm/Sunday night...still trucking along at around 50Mb to Signapore (non-VPN).

Just FYI....just some crossfeed on the performance of the AIS Fibre 50/10 plan (non-VPN) and in comparison to True DOCSIS 15Mb plan (with VPN). Your results may vary. I"m thinking with my new AIS Fibre 50Mb plan I'm not going to need to use VPN for "speed purposes"; will need VPN only when needing an IP address to another country.

post-55970-0-63064400-1467554221_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

I didn't install the app. I created the connection manually via Network Connections by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray. Then later, I clicked on the manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection I had created to enter the Google DNS servers.

Beginners luck. biggrin.png

PS: Is there any reason to install the app? What functionality does it add?

You would be able to use OpenVPN and switch around to different VPN servers all over Earth more quickly than setting up a truckload of manual connections. But I expect switching around to servers in all 24 time zones provides little benefits other than playing around with VPN connection to different points on Earth. The OpenVPN might come in handy to get the best possible encryption as supposedly it has a hair-better encryption than L2TP. But for me, I'm not using the VPN due to privacy concerns, I'm using it to get better international speed. The PureVPN App is really more of an ease of use thing as I expect many folks would struggle in setting up a manual Windows connection although it's very easy (as you know) and all VPN providers provide instructions on how to do it.

I finally got around to installing the PureVPN app on Windows 10.

I had hoped that by checking the box to have the app auto-start with Windows, it would launch the app in a windows when Windows starts, but alas, it only lurks (hidden by default) in the System Tray. So, to connect with the Singapore location via the app, it takes:

3 clicks to start the app from the System Tray

1 click to choose "Select Location"

1 click and a bit of scrolling to find "Singapore"

1 click to select Singapore

1 click to Connect

It seems easier to use my manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection by clicking on the Network icon in System Tray and going from there. However, I will still keep the app installed for those times I want to connect to a different location, but I will disable auto-starting with Windows.

The app would be handier if it would remember the last settings used, like "Select Location" and "Singapore" so that when I booted the app would pop up with those settings, needing only a single click to press the Connect.

Is there a way to select the VPN type via the app, e.g. PPTP, L2TP, etc?

You need to download 100M.zip files for real speed test. I gave you link (softlayer) for several locations you can test.

Here's the requested "real speed test" results downloading 100MB zip files (non-VPN) from Softwayer data centers at Singapore, San Jose, Frankfurt, and London at approx 7:50pm/Sunday night.

Singapore: 45.8Mb

San Jose: 30.1Mb

Frankfurt: 27.4Mb

London: 37.0Mb

They are amazing. I wish I go with AIS instead of 3BB :(

Now I have to wait 1 year contract complete.

Did you get IPv6 + shared IPv4 from AIS like they said?

I didn't install the app. I created the connection manually via Network Connections by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray. Then later, I clicked on the manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection I had created to enter the Google DNS servers.

Beginners luck. biggrin.png

PS: Is there any reason to install the app? What functionality does it add?

You would be able to use OpenVPN and switch around to different VPN servers all over Earth more quickly than setting up a truckload of manual connections. But I expect switching around to servers in all 24 time zones provides little benefits other than playing around with VPN connection to different points on Earth. The OpenVPN might come in handy to get the best possible encryption as supposedly it has a hair-better encryption than L2TP. But for me, I'm not using the VPN due to privacy concerns, I'm using it to get better international speed. The PureVPN App is really more of an ease of use thing as I expect many folks would struggle in setting up a manual Windows connection although it's very easy (as you know) and all VPN providers provide instructions on how to do it.

I had hoped that by checking the box to have the app auto-start with Windows, it would launch the app in a windows when Windows starts, but alas, it only lurks (hidden by default) in the System Tray. So, to connect with the Singapore location via the app, it takes:

1 click to Connect

It seems easier to use my manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection by clicking on the Network icon in System Tray and going from there. However, I will still keep the app installed for those times I want to connect to a different location, but I will disable auto-starting with Windows.

The app would be handier if it would remember the last settings used, like "Select Location" and "Singapore" so that when I booted the app would pop up with those settings, needing only a single click to press the Connect.

Yea, there is a selection for the type of protocol. And it does remember the last type of connection you made, where you made it to, etc. You can also use the Dedicated IP selection where you can manually enter a VPN address to connect to...kinda like forcing a connection to a specific VPN server. I think once you use it a little more and find you way around the app some more you'll see what I'm talking about. I expect you are using their New Windows app not to imply it's only for new Windows like Win/8/10...it's just they call there latest VPN app which is version 5.x.x...mostly just a different theme/menu layout from their previous app Ver 4.X.X

I never could get their New Windows Ver 5.x.x app to work for OpenVPN on my two Lenovo laptops...even after numerous chat sessions with PureVPN. But the New app worked fine for PPTP/L2TP/SSTP. Some computers and OpenVPN apps have a hard time getting along 100%. Then one tech said try their Old Windows Ver 4.x.x app...the tech even said "it will work for me" kinda like she knew other folks were having OpenVPN problems with the New app. Anyway, the Old Windows app worked like a charm on both laptops.

But I don't use the app much unless playing around with various VPN locations/protocols where is does make it easier and faster than setting up a Manual Windows VPN PPTP/L2TP/SSTP connection...and of course you must use the app to make a OpenVPN connection. Since I only really want and need a VPN connection to Singapore and the U.S. West Coast I just use manual Windows VPN connections.

Heck, I don't even use the their Android App on my Android devices...I have it installed and it works...and I've played around with it like is some of the Android speedtest results I posted for torch...but once again it's just to play with sometimes as I have Manual Android PPTP/L2TP connections set up to Singapore and LA.

You need to download 100M.zip files for real speed test. I gave you link (softlayer) for several locations you can test.

Here's the requested "real speed test" results downloading 100MB zip files (non-VPN) from Softwayer data centers at Singapore, San Jose, Frankfurt, and London at approx 7:50pm/Sunday night.

They are amazing. I wish I go with AIS instead of 3BB sad.png

Heck, when it comes to all the different IP related stuff I'm like a novice. I can only tell you what I post a few posts up.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925368-using-vpn-to-speedup-your-internet-international-speed/?p=10923086

But yea, so far I"m VERY satisfied with the AIS Fibre domestic and international speeds. Other than needing to use a VPN connection to get a specific country's IP address to access certain websites/content I probably will not be using VPN much of any. I started this thread just to tell folks about how VPNs connections greatly increased my international speed with my True DOCSIS 15Mb plan...and it definitely does that. But with AIS Fibre 50Mb connection I get 2 to 3 times faster speeds to international servers "without VPN" as I do with my True DOCSIS 15Mb connection "with VPN"....and much, much faster than True DOCSIS 15Mb without VPN. All the non-VPN and VPN non-VPN and VPN results I have posted clearly shows that whether some people want to beleive the results or not.

Now you know what my problem is? Well, as mentioned in other posts I use "Wifi" connections within my house from my router/access point to my laptops, android devices, etc; I don't use ethernet connections due to where I use my laptops/android devices. When I just had the True 15Mb plan which actually speeds along at around 22Mb with brief (a few seconds) bursts a little over 30Mb due to DOCSIS "bursting" capability, getting that "full" speed from the router/access point via Wifi to my laptops/android devices was not an issue.

But now, depending on how many other Wifi router signals may be operating around me, that competition can degrade everyone's Wifi connection speed at higher Wifi speeds like above 30Mb not to imply Wifi speeds below 30Mb is not impacted either. Now, the majority of the time I get the 50Mb speed via Wifi...other times it's usually somewhere between 35Mb to 50Mb...but usually in the mid 40's....and it can literally change from minute as to how the competing signals interfere with each other.

But make the connection via ethernet cable when that Wifi signal/speed degradation is occurring and I get 50Mb rock steady speed no matter how many times I run the speedtest. Even the weather has an impact as I think when it's raining it helps to attenuate inferring Wifi router signals from my neighbor's houses and my Wifi speed goes up...usually a solid 50Mb. And just to stress to ensure no one gets confused, when I talk Wifi speed I'm talking the speed from my router to my mobile devices; I'm not talking the 50Mb speed arriving to my router down that fibre cable hung on the soi poles to my house as that arriving 50Mb speed is rock solid.

Last night and some today I've been playing with router Wifi signal settings such as channel selection, 20 or 40MHz bandwidth, router location, antenna orientation, and bunch of other stuff while monitoring (visually and numerically) with the inSSIDer Home program in trying to find the best combination of Wifi signal settings to get the fastest and steadiest Wifi speed. I think I've found the best settings, but I have no control over competing/interfering Wifi signals from my neighbor's routers.

Like right now my Wifi signal gives me a solid 50Mb Wifi speed connection, and when viewing with inSSIDER I only have "one" competing neighbor's Wifi....that the main reason I'm getting the 50Mb Wifi speed...little interference for neighbor Wifi signals. But come evening when the kids come home from school, Mom and Dad come home from work and they turn on their routers (a lot of people turn off the Wifi routers when not home to probably help protect from electrical spikes/lightning storms) then I will start getting Wifi signal competition/interference. Come this evening, tonight, and early in the morning I will have at least six Wifi signals from neighbors showing up/interfering with mine..and of course we are all degrading each other's Wifi connection.

Just the modern world we live in with detached homes usually be very close to each other, condos/apartments where your neighbor's Wifi router can literally be on the other side of the wall/floor/roof of your apartment. Always best to use an ethernet connection if you want to completely prevent Wifi speed/interference issues....preaching to the choir I know.

A few minutes ago (around 2:15pm I finished running some non-VPN and a few VPN speed tests using my AIS Fibre 50/10. I first did a basic speedtest using Speedtest.net from Bangkok to Bangkok just to test my local connection.. Then I used Testmy.net Combined testing for the remaining non-VPN to various locations and a few VPN tests related to London only...I explain more below why I did some VPN tests to London only.

Speedtest.net Bangkok to Bangkok (non-VPN): 50.65Mb down / 12.18Mb up

Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to Singapore (non-VPN): 47.6 / 10.7
Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to Toyko (non-VPN): 17.3 / 10.0
Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to Frankurt (non-VPN): 15.5 /8.8
Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to London (non-VPN): 2.4 / 10.3 (slow download...we've seen that before in other tests...a little later I do some VPN testing to London)
Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to San Francisco (non-VPN): 12.3 / 7.8
Testmy.net Combined Bangkok to New York (non-VPN): 9.8 / 8.0

OK, let's see if a VPN connection to London improves that slow London download speed shown above. Once again the test results below are using Testmy.net Combined

First, I make a VPN connection to a PureVPN London VPN server: 9.6 Mb / 7.9 Mb (around a 4 fold increase in download speed)

Second, I now make a VPN connection to a PureVPN "Virtual" London server which they called their Asia-Pacific Virtual Server and I'm pretty sure is located in Singapore. But what is a Virtual VPN server? To partially quote from the HideMyAss VPN service in a nutshell it's: It means that you connect to a server that is located in one country, but gives you an IP address that is assigned to a different country. So you can easily get a certain country's IP address, but keep proper speeds and latency due to the fact that your server is physically located in your current or nearby country. Your traffic takes a shorter route, providing you with a connection of better quality.

So, what speed did that closer Asia-Pacific Virtual VPN giving me a UK IP address give. That speed was 25.7 Mb down / 2.8Mb up. Wow, around 10 times faster download speed than the non-VPN 2.4Mb speed.

Let's try another Virtual VPN server to get a UK IP address. This time I try PureVPN's South Africa Virtual VPN server for the UK. I only got 0.3Mb down / 0.3Mb up. Not a good server to use if you are setting in Thailand...but probably works great for folks in South Africa for their UK VPN connection.

Oh, the magic of VPN, routing, etc. A lot of it beyond my understanding....just giving some crossfeed. Your results may vary.

1 click to Connect

Yea, there is a selection for the type of protocol. And it does remember the last type of connection you made, where you made it to, etc. You can also use the Dedicated IP selection where you can manually enter a VPN address to connect to...kinda like forcing a connection to a specific VPN server. I think once you use it a little more and find you way around the app some more you'll see what I'm talking about. I expect you are using their New Windows app not to imply it's only for new Windows like Win/8/10...it's just they call there latest VPN app which is version 5.x.x...mostly just a different theme/menu layout from their previous app Ver 4.X.X

I never could get their New Windows Ver 5.x.x app to work for OpenVPN on my two Lenovo laptops...even after numerous chat sessions with PureVPN. But the New app worked fine for PPTP/L2TP/SSTP. Some computers and OpenVPN apps have a hard time getting along 100%. Then one tech said try their Old Windows Ver 4.x.x app...the tech even said "it will work for me" kinda like she knew other folks were having OpenVPN problems with the New app. Anyway, the Old Windows app worked like a charm on both laptops.

But I don't use the app much unless playing around with various VPN locations/protocols where is does make it easier and faster than setting up a Manual Windows VPN PPTP/L2TP/SSTP connection...and of course you must use the app to make a OpenVPN connection. Since I only really want and need a VPN connection to Singapore and the U.S. West Coast I just use manual Windows VPN connections.

Heck, I don't even use the their Android App on my Android devices...I have it installed and it works...and I've played around with it like is some of the Android speedtest results I posted for torch...but once again it's just to play with sometimes as I have Manual Android PPTP/L2TP connections set up to Singapore and LA.

I'm glad I posted. I hadn't noticed the "menu" (?) icon on the *right* side of the app's menu bar, but after you said there were settings that I couldn't find, I knew it must be there somewhere.

Every time I open the app, either manually or by having it auto-start, it starts up with Dashboard screen with "Select Purpose" selected, and with no memory of having selected the Singapore server in the app's previous use.

HOWEVER, I found the "Auto-connect after launch" check box, and with that enabled, after I boot to Windows with the app set to auto-load, I can now connect to the PureVPN Singapore server with just the three clicks to start the app from the System Tray. That works for me. thumbsup.gif

Now, what do the "Modes" options actually do? (STREAM, INTERNET FREEDOM, FILE-SHARING, etc)

Internet Freedom since I be just a browser, wanting to connect to anywhere and play around. I think when you can that Mode setting it just changes the number of server locations as certain servers/location are geared for specific purposes such as P2P, streaming, etc.

Edit: by the way, how did you and PureVPN settle you money spat since you said it flared up again?

Edited by Pib

Pib Have you managed to get decent speed to the US west coast with PureVPN and Android, if so how did you do it?

Thanks

Don't know what you classify as descent speed for a Android VPN connection, but around 3:30pm today I make a Android manual PPTP connection to PureVPN's Los Angeles server, and ran Testmy.net "Combined" tests to their LA speedtest server using AIS's DNS, Google DNS, and True DNS just to see if one DNS gave significantly faster speeds. I used my low cost Lenovo 8" tablet.

Ran 3 tests using each DNS and then averaged them...running just one or two test is just too small of a sample size as speed tests can vary significantly from test to test...should do at least 3 tests and then average them for higher stats reliability. Was using my AIS Fibre 50/10 connection versus my True DOCSIS 15/1.5 connection. I also did 3 tests without any VPN connection using the AIS DNS just to get a baseline. Average speed results below which meet descent speed to the U.S. west coast in my book:

Android

Average Non-VPN using AIS DNS: 19.2 down / 3.31 up

Average VPN Using AIS DNS: 17.2 down /2.2 up

Average VPN Using Google DNS: 16.9 down / 2.1 up

Average VPN Using True DNS: 15.9 down / 0.53 up.

And just now while writing this post on my Windows laptop I did 3 Testmy.net Combined non-VPN tests and 3 PPTP VPN tests to LA...used the Testmy.net LA speedtest server. Results follow:

Windows

Average Non-VPN using AIS DNS: 16.6 down / 8.1 up

Average VPN using AIS DSN: 23.8 down / 7.2 up

Your results may (will) vary.

Edited by Pib

In my post #216 a few posts up I also talk about the challenge of being able to take full advantage of my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan "via Wifi" in my home due to interference from neighbors' Wifi router signals. Before getting the AIS 50Mb plan interference was never was an issue/noticed since the interference didn't seem to affect my slower Wifi speed with the True DOCSIS 15Mb plan. From some other testing I've done it appears interference didn't seem to affect Wifi speeds below approx 30Mb....but starting above 30Mb it became a problem...and not an "all the time problem," but an intermittent problem. With my 50Mb plan it became noticeable and an issue with me since I was now using an internet plan faster than 30Mb....using a 50Mb plan.

Well, after around 26 hours of testing a new router setting I think I can safely say I have fixed my issue with varying Wifi speed between my ASUS downstairs access point and my laptop due to interference from neighbors' Wifi signals. One little setting in my ASUS router made all the difference...I now get steady, full speed via Wifi of my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan.

I changed the ASUS router setting named "Enhanced Interference Management" from its default setting of being disabled to enabled. I have probably did three dozen Speedtest.net tests from my Bangkok home to their Bangkok servers since yesterday afternoon when making the setting change...tests run at all hours...during periods of max interference to min interference from neighbors' Wifi routers....each and every test has given me the full 50Mb+ speed of my internet plan just like I was hooked to the access point via Ethernet cable.

Earlier I also talked about my speedtests to Singapore using the DSLReports HTML5 speedtester using my True DOCSIS 15Mb plan and my AIS Fibre 50Mb....I also gave a snapshot of my results which start back on 15 June. All the results shown "below 20Mb" was for True DOCSIS 15Mb plan "with VPN" to Singapore; all results "above 20Mb, actually above 40Mb were done with my AIS 50Mb plan "without VPN" to Singapore. The last 9 dots on below snapshot represent 9 tests from yesterday afternoon to just a few minutes ago after enabling the Enhanced Interference Management setting. Notice how flat it is...and how it's 50Mb plus or minus just a little bit..and remember, that's the speed to Singapore without VPN....not just a test to Bangkok.

Yeap, I'm happy with 50Mb speed to Singapore "without VPN." VOIP also works like a charm with the AIS 50/10 plan....have made serveral calls to the U.S. east coast over the last few days...calls go right through...clear as a bell...and I had a few people call my VOIP number and it came right through clear as bell again.

post-55970-0-25494900-1467722611_thumb.j

Internet Freedom since I be just a browser, wanting to connect to anywhere and play around. I think when you can that Mode setting it just changes the number of server locations as certain servers/location are geared for specific purposes such as P2P, streaming, etc.

Edit: by the way, how did you and PureVPN settle you money spat since you said it flared up again?

The saga of me vs PureVPN billing is still ongoing.

They've had me sign-up via their web site three times, I've been requested (and complied) to submit a scan of my VISA card with everything obscured except the last four digits and my name and, later, a scan of my US drivers license, and been assured that the next time I went through the online setup, the transaction would be approved with no further problem.

Absolutely not: As recently as yesterday, they canceled my third account. Usually I get a "Refund Notice" via e-mail as my notice. Yesterday it was simply that I couldn't connect.

(My credit card issuer has absolutely no problem with the transactions, it's purely [pun intended] PureVPN and/or their third-party credit authorizer.)

I lost my cool and sent a not-so-friendly e-mail with lots of ALL CAPS last night. This afternoon the app automatically signed on to my third account again. whistling.gif

For how long, is anybody's guess. It seems to go in four-day cycles. An account is valid for four days before they cancel it. This afternoon starts day #1. Ask me in three to four more days, if you dare? laugh.png

The saga of me vs PureVPN billing is still ongoing.

They've had me sign-up via their web site three times, I've been requested (and complied) to submit a scan of my VISA card with everything obscured except the last four digits and my name and, later, a scan of my US drivers license, and been assured that the next time I went through the online setup, the transaction would be approved with no further problem.

Absolutely not: As recently as yesterday, they canceled my third account. Usually I get a "Refund Notice" via e-mail as my notice. Yesterday it was simply that I couldn't connect.

(My credit card issuer has absolutely no problem with the transactions, it's purely [pun intended] PureVPN and/or their third-party credit authorizer.)

I lost my cool and sent a not-so-friendly e-mail with lots of ALL CAPS last night. This afternoon the app automatically signed on to my third account again. whistling.gif

For how long, is anybody's guess. It seems to go in four-day cycles. An account is valid for four days before they cancel it. This afternoon starts day #1. Ask me in three to four more days, if you dare? laugh.png

wpcoe, You definitely got a lot more patient than me. Hope it works out this time and you don't pop a vein from high blood pressure caused by this frustration.

wpcoe, You definitely got a lot more patient than me. Hope it works out this time and you don't pop a vein from high blood pressure caused by this frustration.

Thanks. I have lots of patience dealing with other people, except with plain old stupidity, carelessness or laziness. They managed to push those buttons.

They are amazing. I wish I go with AIS instead of 3BB sad.png

This additional piece of info might make you even more wishful. I was having some back and forth email with another TV member about 3BB and AIS fiber routers installed, turns out both of us got the Hauwei HG8245H Fiber Optics router but pre-programmed to either 3BB or AIS. During that email conversion back and forth I was saying that my AIS Hauwei HG8245H came with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band capability (but I wasn't using the 5Ghz band) and the other TV member said his 3BB Hauwei HG8245H came with 2.4GHz only.

So I looked in my Hauwei setup menus thinking I would take a snapshot of the 2.4 and/or 5 Ghz setting but I couldn't find a 5Ghz setting. So I go look at the router packaging box AIS left me because I was sure the box said 2.4 and 5Ghz. I find "two" router boxes...a plain jane brown OEM style packing box with Hauwei HG8245G labeling on it and an Edimax BR-6208AC router package box retail style. The Edimax box said dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz router. I open up that Edimax box and lo and behold there is another router with one WAN input port, four LAN output ports, and three antennas.

That Edimax AC750 router box was what I had been mistakenly mentally associating with the Hauwei router...I had never looked inside the box after the installers set everything up and just left the packaging with me. And the paperwork they left me saying what equipment was left with me show three items which probably represents the AIS Hauwei Fiber Optics Router, the AIS Playbox/TV box, and the Edimax router. But during the install they never said anything about the Edimax router....they could not speak one word of English...maybe they told me in Thai about the Edimax router I could use also if desired but I just didn't understand them...both the installers and I were much more interested in just getting the basic install accomplished.

So now I have another router, an AC750 dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz) router to play with/test. If it works better Wifi signal-wise I will probably just deactivate the Wifi signal of the Hauwei Fiber Optics router (let it just be the modem and feed source/DHCP manager for my access point), set the AC750 to Access Point Mode to use it for upstairs coverage along with my Asus Access Point I currently use for downstairs coverage.

Yeap, I feel a little stupid, but a happy stupid, in how the AIS 50/10 has worked out so far...not only speed wise for domestic and international sites but the equipment/routers provided...and all for free of any install or deposit charge...and zero advance payment like 12 months advance payment 3BB wants sometimes of farangs.

Pib Have you managed to get decent speed to the US west coast with PureVPN and Android, if so how did you do it?

Thanks

Don't know what you classify as descent speed for a Android VPN connection, but around 3:30pm today I make a Android manual PPTP connection to PureVPN's Los Angeles server, and ran Testmy.net "Combined" tests to their LA speedtest server using AIS's DNS, Google DNS, and True DNS just to see if one DNS gave significantly faster speeds. I used my low cost Lenovo 8" tablet.

Ran 3 tests using each DNS and then averaged them...running just one or two test is just too small of a sample size as speed tests can vary significantly from test to test...should do at least 3 tests and then average them for higher stats reliability. Was using my AIS Fibre 50/10 connection versus my True DOCSIS 15/1.5 connection. I also did 3 tests without any VPN connection using the AIS DNS just to get a baseline. Average speed results below which meet descent speed to the U.S. west coast in my book:

Android

Average Non-VPN using AIS DNS: 19.2 down / 3.31 up

Average VPN Using AIS DNS: 17.2 down /2.2 up

Average VPN Using Google DNS: 16.9 down / 2.1 up

Average VPN Using True DNS: 15.9 down / 0.53 up.

And just now while writing this post on my Windows laptop I did 3 Testmy.net Combined non-VPN tests and 3 PPTP VPN tests to LA...used the Testmy.net LA speedtest server. Results follow:

Windows

Average Non-VPN using AIS DNS: 16.6 down / 8.1 up

Average VPN using AIS DSN: 23.8 down / 7.2 up

Your results may (will) vary.

Pib

That would have been decent results in my book as well smile.png

For some reason I never managed to get more than 2-3 mbits down using both Ingapore and L.A servers.

Am I understanding you correctly that you were using the vpn directly to L.A?

In any case I must have been doing something wrongfacepalm.gif

Before going to walk the dog figured I would do some quick non-VPN and VPN tests to Singapore and LA using my new AIS Fibre 50/10 plan I've had 6 days now. Used my Win 10 laptop, Testmy.net Download Manual 50MB File Size. Did 5 tests to each site at around 5pm, non-VPN and VPN, then threw out the highest and lowest results for each test series (non-VPN and VPN), and then averaged the remaining three results reported below.

Non-VPN With VPN Connection to Singapore

To Singapore: 43.8Mb 41.9Mb

Non-VPN With VPN Connection to LA

To Los Angeles: 29.5Mb 23.3Mb

Via Wifi as my Wifi connection via an Asus RT-N12HP access point is giving me the full AIS 50Mb speed (the ASUS can do about 75Mb Wifi data throughput); therefore, no need to use an ethernet connection in my particular case with my Asus access point.

Everything old is new again: Had to input manual DNS server numbers to connect via PureVPN's Singapore server again just now, using TrueOnline's DOCSIS.

The diagram above, (not saying I understand it) appears to show dedicated links and "bandwidth" to things like Facebook, google, even particular countries. And most are in Singapore.

Yes. Many major sites mirror/duplicate their services on Singapore servers. So although you might think you are making a connection to a certain site based in the US/Europe you could very have been connected to the site's much closer mirrored servers say in Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Connection between Thailand and Singapore is generally speedy...but start reaching out beyond Singapore and your international speed can really slow down with many Thai internet service providers.

Yes. Many major sites mirror/duplicate their services on Singapore servers. So although you might think you are making a connection to a certain site based in the US/Europe you could very have been connected to the site's much closer mirrored servers say in Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Connection between Thailand and Singapore is generally speedy...but start reaching out beyond Singapore and your international speed can really slow down with many Thai internet service providers.

As that map shows, depending on your ISP, where you are going, and what you are doing on the internet. You will be routed out of Thailand on a certain link , at a certain speed.

normal browsing etc with no vpn, link abc at speed xyz. downloading a file, different link, different speed.

I think any VPN is seen as a telnet client/server, computer to computer connection and it leaves thailand on a different link with a high dedicated bandwidth.

As you can see on that map, dtac has a 80Gb bandwidth to facebook in singapore, CAT has 20Gb.