Thai embassy clarifies why more Thais are rejected entries to South Korea

snoop1130

Thai embassy clarifies why more Thais are rejected entries to South Korea

IMGP6073-wpcf_728x409.jpg

An increasingly number of Thais are illegally staying in South Korea and this is one of the main causes that prompts South Korean immigration officials to reject entry of several Thais upon arrival in South Korea, explained the Thai embassy in Seoul.

The embassy said that Thailand and South Korea have signed an agreement to exempt visas for tourists of the two countries visiting South Korea or Thailand of up to 90 days.

However, many Thais have exploited this loophole to overstay their visas and work illegally in South Korea, said the embassy, adding that there are now 52,435 Thais who are illegally staying in the country out of a total of 90,235 representing 58.1 percent and the trend is rising – hence the need of the immigration officials to curb the number of illegal immigrants from Thailand.

The South Korean immigration has introduced two measures to deal with this problem which include: voluntary repatriation to Thailand for the illegal immigrants of which 8,402 Thais accepted the offer and entry denials for Thais suspected of intending to work in South Korea.

The Thai embassy maintained that the South Korean immigration office was fully authorized to question or interview any Thais who are deemed suspicious. Any of them who fails to provide answers to the satisfaction of the immigration officials has the tendency to be rejected entry, it said.

Thais wishing to visit South Korea are advised to prepare the following documents to be shown to the immigration officials upon request – return air tickets, documents of hotel reservations, travelling itineraries and sufficient amount of money to sustain the duration of stay in the country.

The Thai foreign ministry has been trying to solve the problem of Thais being rejected entries with their South Korean counterpart but this will take time.

Thais who wish to work legally in South Korea are advised to follow the Employment Permit System which can be easily accessed by going to the following website, https://www.facebook.com/epstoea/

The embassy warned that those who were caught working illegally will be deported, blacklisted and banned from visiting the country for up to five years. But, worse, this will tarnish the image of Thailand, it added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-embassy-clarifies-thais-rejected-entries-south-korea/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-2016

Good guys in, bad guys out.

Heard that before, but just can't remember where?

58.1% of all Thais in South Korea are on overstay and potentially working, shocked.

and thats a huge percentage....now imagine if half of Thailand's 20-odd million-a-year arrivals did likewise.

Those caught should just be grateful detention conditions are not reciprocal.

I met a Thai woman busted in South Korea for working illegally as was full of bile towards the place. Did the police knock her about a bit to get a confession? No. Did the police yell at her at all or make any threats? No. Did they try to extract any money from her on the quiet? No.

Was she made to sleep on the floor of an overcrowded cell? No, she was put in a dormitory with other Thais. Was she served inedible swill? Well it wasn't very good, but the authorities did serve an approximation of Thai food. Was she given access to a lawyer? Yes. Was she allowed to contact home? Yes. Was an exercise period granted? Yes.

Was she guilty of what they said she was...? Yes, but that wasn't the point. They are a shower of bastards over there and that's that, apparently. No, she wasn't interested in how Koreans in Thailand could expect to be treated under the same circumstances.

I left it at that. There is no point in arguing with such a mindset...

I wonder how many western foreigners are illegally employed in Thailand. Although, I highly doubt it's even close to 50% of all entries...

To be fair, that is an inaccurate comparison. This thread is discussing the natives of a single country, Thailand, working illegally in South Korea. You really can't compare that with the sum total of British, Dutch, German, French etc, citizens illegally employed here.

Reason for edit: Crappy spellchecker made in South Korea...

Edited by baboon

Perhaps a reciprocal arrangement from S.K should be adopted if Thais overstay, then they should be barred from entering the country for a certain time.

As far as I know, they are.

I wonder how many western foreigners are illegally employed in Thailand. Although, I highly doubt it's even close to 50% of all entries...

To be fair, that is an inaccurate comparison. This thread is discussing the natives of a single country, Thailand, working illegally in South Korea. You really can't compare that with the sum total of British, Dutch, German, French etc, citizens illegally employed here.

I reckon there would be over ten thousand of farangs (inc Russians) working illegally in Thailand.

Hundreds of thousands of Middle East/south Asians/Africans

And millions of South East Asians. Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Filipino

Japan has a similar problem with them. Not to mention the loads there on false work visas. Established Thais there with a business (often a restaurant) will get them a visa for a few thousand dollars. Another money making racket.

Was it programmed by an illegal Thai worker?

Was it programmed by an illegal Thai worker?

I wonder if they're counting hooker girlfriend and mail order bride as illegal workers.

Who employs these Thais and who would actually want to hire a Thai in South Korea?

I guess Thai restaurant?

The city I was working in had at least three massage places that I walked past at night on the way to the bar and the majority of the girls working in them were Thai.

The places were not hidden away but very much in plain sight.

Who employs these Thais and who would actually want to hire a Thai in South Korea?

I guess Thai restaurant?

The city I was working in had at least three massage places that I walked past at night on the way to the bar and the majority of the girls working in them were Thai.

The places were not hidden away but very much in plain sight.

It's very common. Most stay about 3 months and can make substantially more than they would in Thailand.

Thai authorities need to address the problem as to why are they so un-contented with their home country, however it is a relief to know that the hordes of valued tourists from the north don't do the same , probably because there is always a political adviser travelling with them, Thai's do this everywhere to a certain extent, however they are not orphans, others do it also, for other reasons....................................coffee1.gif

Those caught should just be grateful detention conditions are not reciprocal.

I met a Thai woman busted in South Korea for working illegally as was full of bile towards the place. Did the police knock her about a bit to get a confession? No. Did the police yell at her at all or make any threats? No. Did they try to extract any money from her on the quiet? No.

Was she made to sleep on the floor of an overcrowded cell? No, she was put in a dormitory with other Thais. Was she served inedible swill? Well it wasn't very good, but the authorities did serve an approximation of Thai food. Was she given access to a lawyer? Yes. Was she allowed to contact home? Yes. Was an exercise period granted? Yes.

Was she guilty of what they said she was...? Yes, but that wasn't the point. They are a shower of bastards over there and that's that, apparently. No, she wasn't interested in how Koreans in Thailand could expect to be treated under the same circumstances.

I left it at that. There is no point in arguing with such a mindset...

You miss the point entirely. In Thailand she would have had the opportunity to pay her way

out. This is, I am sure what she found upsetting. She could not avoid justice with a fat envelope.tongue.png

Same issues in Australia (and no doubt other countries). Oz immigration classifies Thailand as category 3 or 4 - I've forgotten the details but: High Risk. Why? because Thais come on tourist or partner visas which do not allow them to work, so they work in Thai restaurants & no doubt elsewhere. And they overstay, hidden in the Thai community, and think, funnily enough, that the longer they stay the greater their chances of eventually being allowed permanent residency!

So if Thais have problems getting through the first hoop, they have noone to blame but their own compatriots who break every rule in the book.

My experience with my partner, going to Oz for both short (2 weeks) & longer (temporary residency) stays, was that there's no problem provided you (1) fill out the 18- and 20- page forms properly, with supporting docos, and (2) do exactly what you say you're going to do - ie arrive on date X & leave on date Y. Thereafter you have no problems on subsequent stays (and of course following the same rules).