Families of those who died in fatal speedboat collision off Phuket to receive B2mn compensation

rooster59

Families of those who died in fatal speedboat collision off Phuket to receive B2mn compensation

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-19496700-1466227317_thumb.

Governor Chamroen presents one of the deceased's families with an additional compensation payment of B100,000. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Each of the two families who lost a family member in the fatal speedboat collision off Phuket on June 8 are to receive B2 million compensation from the insurance companies of the boat and tour companies involved in the accident.

Two tourists died and close to 50 were injured after two speedboats from Phuket carrying mostly Chinese tourists collided near Phi Phi Island at about at midday on June 8. (See story here.)

Meanwhile, Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada yesterday (June 17) gave an additional B100,000 to one of the deceased’s family during a meeting at Provincial Hall.

He said, “Each of the families of the two deceased tourists will also receive B2M compensation from the boat and tour companies insurance policy holders.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/families-of-those-who-died-in-fatal-speedboat-collision-off-phuket-to-receive-b2mn-compensation-57913.php#IOQtfD3x7BdH4lJe.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-18

That is exactly what I was thinking. Also, WHY does one family get 100K baht and the other not? Because they didn't show up for this stupid photo with the giant check meant to advertise what exactly? " Come die in Thailand and get your $100K" ...

Even the 2M baht is totally inadequate for lives needlessly lost due to the total lack of enforced safety standards here in Thailand.

However, in truth, 2M is also a lot more than the typical payout for "accidental" tourist deaths here. So at least, it's something.

Life is cheap in Thailand, as are deaths.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Also, WHY does one family get 100K baht and the other not? Because they didn't show up for this stupid photo with the giant check meant to advertise what exactly? " Come die in Thailand and get your $100K" ...

And not even written in the language of the family concerned.

Isn't this just so <deleted> tacky?

Some things should be done in private.

Why do these officials do anything for a photo opportunity?

And why 15 officials?

I wonder if all of them even knew what was happening, what it connects to.

They want the world to see their "generosity" Tacky yes but the social media will pick up on it but not the safety conditions or lack of that caused the accident. This brings down the curtain on this incident next!!

From memory, didn't the families of the foreigners that died in the Tiger Disco fire get 1 million baht compensation?

It appears like they desperately need to hold onto the Chinese market now.

Simply 2x insurance pay-out: 1x 1 mio baht boat company insurance, 1x 1 mio baht tour operator insurance.

I find this just a little tacky as it comes across as a publicity stunt for Thailand and a photo opportunity. Congratulations on behalf of Thailand I would like to present you with the winners cheque for 100K, Aunty Edna played thai tourism roulette and achieved death. Can just see them framing this and putting it up on the wall above the ashes.

Sure compensate the families but do it properly and not with a paltry meagre insulting sum during a Thai tourism publicity stunt.

Tacky doesn't even begin to describe this.

In my opinion, this is a just a disgusting, humiliating display. I was hoping the families wouldn't show up to receive their big fake check and allow for the photo op. They way the officials presented this seems to make no distinction between compensating a family for a wrongful death, and presenting a contest prize or lottery winnings.

As to the amount of the insurance payout, I wonder if the families will be suing. For cases of wrongful death in the West, it's not uncommon to seek damages for the deceased person's income potential for would have been the remainder of their working years. A lot more than 2 million baht, I would think.

From memory, didn't the families of the foreigners that died in the Tiger Disco fire get 1 million baht compensation?

Simply 2x insurance pay-out: 1x 1 mio baht boat company insurance, 1x 1 mio baht tour operator insurance.

Ok. Didn't the family of the Bungee Jump guy who died also only get 1 million baht?

Why two insurance companies, and two pay outs, in this case?

Ok. Didn't the family of the Bungee Jump guy who died also only get 1 million baht?

Why two insurance companies, and two pay outs, in this case?

Read my post again.

What a complete lack of respect to use this opportunity for advertising the insurance company !!!

Life is very cheap in Thailand !!!

Which insurance company?

The large check presented has the name of a insurance company in large letters......!!!

What a complete lack of respect to use this opportunity for advertising the insurance company !!!

Which insurance company?

The large check presented has the name of a insurance company in large letters......!!!

I can't tell, it is in Thai. So the question remains, which insurance company?

It would surprise me if any insurance company is mentioned, since this seems to be a Phuket administration donation.

Edited by stevenl

Which insurance company?

I can't tell, it is in Thai. So the question remains, which insurance company?