Aranyapratheet Refusal

I was 1 day too late because of rel sickness that couldnt get me in time at the border.

The bitch at the immigration didnt want to hear anything about it.

She told me that I need to have respect for Thailand. Was thinking if I could tell her the same, but didnt.

I apologised and showed her why I couldn t make it. She didnt give a shit about the reason only about her ego. She said it as loud as possible so that everybody coukd hear it; I can stamp you out but you cannot get back because you 1 day too late. I walked out, went back and lost money for nothing as usual here.

So what is the best step to do as clock is ticking.

OP you think you were hard done to, saying you were sick and that was why you were late.

Nothing my friend. I was in a coma unable to tell my wife to fix my extension.

We were fined 20.000 baht, for overstay, even doctors letter was rejected.

Not immigration officers ego, Thai law. Sickness is no excuse that is what immigration say.

OP you think you were hard done to, saying you were sick and that was why you were late.

Not immigration officers ego, Thai law. Sickness is no excuse that is what immigration say.

Really?

A mate of mine was in hospital for a few days, he took a hospital letter/doctor's note and they accepted it no problem. Circa 2008-ish and Nong Khai border.

As with almost everything in Thailand - different officer, different rules.

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 2

Really?

A mate of mine was in hospital for a few days, he took a hospital letter/doctor's note and they accepted it no problem. Circa 2008-ish and Nong Khai border.

I think your mate was on time, Colin was too late.

Really?

I think your mate was on time, Colin was too late.

No, he had overstayed due to the hospital emergency.

Was no problem with the hospital note when he got to the border days late.

• Like 1

Really?

That was almost 10 years ago; things have tightened up since then.

• Like 1

"we" were fined?

Doctor letters are usually accepted. Your case sounds incredible. Did you give the money directly to immigration or via your wife?

Really?

That was almost 10 years ago; things have tightened up since then.

Depends.

Nothing is in stone.

Different officer, different day, different office.

Welcome to dealing with Thai officials. :)

• Like 2

"we" were fined?

Doctor letters are usually accepted. Your case sounds incredible. Did you give the money directly to immigration or via your wife?

If on overstay already letters from a doctor and/or a hospital will not help. Immigration cannot waive a overstay fine. If prior to an overstay a medical extension can be obtained to prevent the overstay.

• Like 1

Rule #1 - Don't use VisaExempt to enter Thailand unless you have been out of the country for months, and have not been staying continuously. Sometimes a single 'border-hop' for an exempt is tolerated, at some borders, if you have not been staying in Thailand continuously. Otherwise, forget this option (especially at Aranya, based on recent reports).

If you are on overstay, leave NOW and clear any fine. If they make an example of you, take your lumps (deserved or not) and move on. If caught in-country on overstay, you could face a 5-year Ban. I would definitely not try to go back through the highway-checkpoints into Thailand for this reason.

You can likely get a tourist-visa in Phnom Penh, per recent reports, if you do not already have several Tourist Visas from them in your passport. In a worst-case, you could go overland to Laos from Cambodia. Have the doctor's note with you on all future entries to Thailand, to explain that overstay-stamp.

When living Thailand on Tourist Visas, do not ever plan to "be right back" on a Visa Run. You can hope for this outcome, and you probably will achieve it 90%+ of the time (unless attempting Visa Exempts), but be ready with alternative plans.

Rule #1 - Don't use VisaExempt to enter Thailand unless you have been out of the country for months, and have not been staying continuously. Sometimes a single 'border-hop' for an exempt is tolerated, at some borders, if you have not been staying in Thailand continuously. Otherwise, forget this option (especially at Aranya, based on recent reports).

If you are on overstay, leave NOW and clear any fine. If they make an example of you, take your lumps (deserved or not) and move on. If caught in-country on overstay, you could face a 5-year Ban. I would definitely not try to go back through the highway-checkpoints into Thailand for this reason.

You can likely get a tourist-visa in Phnom Penh, per recent reports, if you do not already have several Tourist Visas from them in your passport. In a worst-case, you could go overland to Laos from Cambodia. Have the doctor's note with you on all future entries to Thailand, to explain that overstay-stamp.

When living Thailand on Tourist Visas, do not ever plan to "be right back" on a Visa Run. You can hope for this outcome, and you probably will achieve it 90%+ of the time (unless attempting Visa Exempts), but be ready with alternative plans.

Highway checkpoints are generally not interested in "farang". Especially if you're driving yourself, or are a passenger in a private car. Public transport is much more likely to be subject to scrutiny as they often check citizens of neighboring countries to ensure they are in the country legally, though even then westerners are usually not asked for documents. This is particularly true near the Burmese border, somewhat less in the Cambodian border area where there are fewer checkpoints (and those that you do see are less strict than the ones near Myanmar). None at all near Laos, as that is considered to be a "safe" border with few issues of illegal entry and in any case, far lower numbers of potential illegal border crossers (having the river there helps).

Having said that, for someone in an overstay situation, you are absolutely 100% correct in suggesting not to take any risks by travelling overland. It's usually when you least expect it that things go wrong.

On a tourist visa, best to stay out of the country for at least a night before returning, though usually coming back the same day is fine, as long as you're arriving on a new tourist visa entry, not a visa exempt.

Highway checkpoints are generally not interested in "farang". Especially if you're driving yourself, or are a passenger in a private car. Public transport is much more likely to be subject to scrutiny as they often check citizens of neighboring countries to ensure they are in the country legally, though even then westerners are usually not asked for documents.

Our car was stopped once near Chiang Mai and my passport was taken.

After studying my Chinese visa, with the great wall of China emblazoned across it, for a decent 5 minutes, he nodded that all was okay and handed the passport back.