Besides being cremated, what other methods are available in Thailand

Ireland32

You can get regular burial or get shipped home, too. I have experience with all kinds of procedures incl. sea burial / ashes etc. Worked with several Funeral Services. By far the best and in most cases also the most affordable was/is Allison Monk Funeral Home Services, Kh. Dau. Fantastic service from A to Z. All documents, police reports, embassy, airlines, temple photos, morgue and autopsy issues etc. And not 1 Baht extra with constant updates. Perfectly happy and recommend them often. MS>

• Like 2

In Chiang Mai they have the foreigners graveyard,where if you are a long term

resident,you can buy a plot,got mine bought already,as I don't want to be

cremated,and definitely not shipped back to the UK, it cost 15k,but i think

the price has gone up since then.not sure if there are others around Thailand.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

regards worgeordie

And some people think it is impossible for a foreigner to own land here. thumbsup.gif

just like owning land on the moon

Not precisely on topic but i wish there was some provision for sky burials or natural organic burials in thailand. my wish would be for my corpse to decompose naturally and return to the soil in the earth in a natural way. in this way, my organic matter can provide nourishment to other creatures during decomposition and then come "back to life" in the beauty of a plant or tree. there are cemateries in the west that place the unadorned corpse in a shallow burial to facilitate this natural decomposition.

a sky burial, where the corpse is left out for scavengers to feed on is another natural alternative. another attractive option is some places mix the creamation remains with cement to make large "reef-balls" that are dropped into the ocean to make or rehabilitate artificial coral reefs. all of these options seem preferable to being pumped full of preservatives and left in a box in the ground to slowly putrify into some mushy goo.

• Like 2

regards worgeordie

And some people think it is impossible for a foreigner to own land here. thumbsup.gif

No, it's a different atmosphere completely.

You can have your ashes scattered at sea by the Thai navy. My friend did this a couple of years ago. They (the Navy) offer a nice burial at sea ceremony using a Navy ship and honor guard. I don't recall what his wife paid but it was very reasonable. Anyone can do this, Thai or farang. There is a Navy office in Sattahip that arranges it.

• Like 1

Not precisely on topic but i wish there was some provision for sky burials or natural organic burials in thailand. my wish would be for my corpse to decompose naturally and return to the soil in the earth in a natural way. in this way, my organic matter can provide nourishment to other creatures during decomposition and then come "back to life" in the beauty of a plant or tree. there are cemateries in the west that place the unadorned corpse in a shallow burial to facilitate this natural decomposition.

a sky burial, where the corpse is left out for scavengers to feed on is another natural alternative. another attractive option is some places mix the creamation remains with cement to make large "reef-balls" that are dropped into the ocean to make or rehabilitate artificial coral reefs. all of these options seem preferable to being pumped full of preservatives and left in a box in the ground to slowly putrify into some mushy goo.

Indeed. Enough of the burning, there's enough hot air in this world already!

To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson: I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime.

Yes...traditional western burial practices are such a waste of resources...in terms of materials, land, and family finances. I saw a statistic once that the amount of steel used annually in the production of caskets in the United States was the equivalent of 3 or 4 Golden Gate bridges. Think of all the raw materials and energy used to produce those metal boxes that are then just buried in the ground...it boggles the mind.

• Like 1

regards worgeordie

The gravity of that comment may be lost on some people smile.png

• Like 2

regards worgeordie

The gravity of that comment may be lost on some people smile.png

regards worgeordie

Not something I want to think about now at my age, but I have thought about it for years now and I agree with you. Although one other poster said "why worry about what happens to your body after you die?" personally, my feeling is that yes I do care - even if I'm not going to be in control of the process. The reason I care is the principle - I feel like cremation is tantamount to saying: "you're done now, let me dispose of you like garbage". Even so, for some reason, in many western countries it is fast becoming the norm. I guess attitudes change and many people are like: "I'd rather spend my money on something more important than burial".

On the other hand, Muslims will nearly always bury their dead, irrespective of which country they live in. Chinese are rapidly changing from burial to cremation.

Each individual, each culture can have their own views. It is not my right to say what's right and what's wrong. But it is my right to decide how I want to go, and it is also within my right to make a decision on what to do with my loved one's remains once the time comes (unless they give me other instructions, in which case it's best I respect those).

regards worgeordie

I gave you a like you made my day. By the strict measure of the law it should be illegal but the term strict measure is always up for interpretation.

They have started a new green process in Canada. They dissolve your body in some kind of solvent like acid strain it and dump the liquid down the sewer. They then crush the big bones. There is a suggestion for budding entrepraneurs who want to start a new exciting business here. There should be a never ending supply of customers.

You can have your ashes scattered at sea by the Thai navy. My friend did this a couple of years ago. They (the Navy) offer a nice burial at sea ceremony using a Navy ship and honor guard. I don't recall what his wife paid but it was very reasonable. Anyone can do this, Thai or farang. There is a Navy office in Sattahip that arranges it.

Often wondered what happened to my wife's cousin's ashes. He was a TRN ship's Captain. He got the full military works in Songkla.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Indeed. Enough of the burning, there's enough hot air in this world already!

To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson: I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime.

Might be available in Mongolia if any there still follow the old religion.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

post-233324-0-77119400-1466584366_thumb.

• Like 1

what options do you have if you don't want to go back to your home country ? Thanks

Be broke and have no one back home that gives a crap about you, to ship your carcass back to your home country??

Edited by D3030

They have started a new green process in Canada. They dissolve your body in some kind of solvent like acid strain it and dump the liquid down the sewer. They then crush the big bones. There is a suggestion for budding entrepraneurs who want to start a new exciting business here. There should be a never ending supply of customers.

How is dumping a high level of pollution that will exceed the discharge permit on biological and chemical oxygen demand as well as pH a Green Process?

• Like 1

Many Christians still believe in burial, so come the resurrection, their bodies will rise and go to heaven. I found this especially prevalent in African-Americans in the Southern US.

• Like 1