This terrifying flesh-eating poisonous underwater monster could RUIN your Thailand holiday

webfact

calling an insect a beast? what a wuss....yes they are not a looker and can give one a shock just by seeing it....the chinese are known to put these in rice wine and age it...I've seen them a handful of times in my garden over the 30 years I've been living here...they can be anywhere in the tropics

I recently sent a Scolopendra, which came inside the house uninvited, to the great beyond after it refused to be coaxed back outside. It's Thailand: centipedes, spiders, snakes...par for the course. Tourists should be happy that tigers still don't roam free. That could ruin your vacation. Now? Tuk tuk and taxi drivers with machetes are a much bigger worry.

Centipedees do not live in water but in humid and dark places. Its common all over Thailand.

Typical Sun rubbish.

If we only scrutinized credible news sources and stories as much as we scrutinize the posts of TV members......we could improve me thinks.

To quote another Thaivisa poster on a different thread, I'm "quacking (sic) in my boots!"

Why not a link to an article very soon please on the horrors of what swimming in chlorinated swimming pools does to people, where only the most intrepid flesh eating monster 20 centimeter underwater centipedes would dare go.

To quote another Thaivisa poster on a different thread, I'm "quacking (sic) in my boots!"

Why not a link to an article very soon please on the horrors of what swimming in chlorinated swimming pools does to people, where only the most intrepid flesh eating monster 20 centimeter underwater centipedes would dare go!

More than 900,000 Brits flock to Thailand every year in search of sun, sand and spicy shrimp soup.

They failed to mention the reasons why the vast majority of Brits flock to Thailand which is cheap beer and cheap hookers. That's what they must of meant when they said spicy shrimp soup.

Never seen cheap beer in Thailand, not commenting on the other cheap item though.

Put that on your pride of Thailand promo!

Australia can put Thailand to shame with dangerous animals..

..its a pity the gold-diggers are not on the endangered species list that's for sure!

Scolopendra subspinipes are active and aggressive, even in Bangkok, reaching a length of 20cm. However, they are land-based insects and I was unable to find any mention of seafarers.

attachicon.gifssubspinipes.jpg

Exactly! The Sun article refers to this centipede in crystal clear "seas". The creature may well be amphibious as the NatGeo article reports, but in FRESH water, NOT salt water.

I thought itwas a story about the flesh eating bacteria found on beaches around the Gulf of Mexico. Recently a man in Texas went to the beachwith his family a few days later he has a rash and swelling on leg. A few days after the rash broke out he is in the hospital fighting to save his leg and possible his life

Found one of these critters in my living room the other day! Wife was scared stiff screaming for me to kill it. I do not see how this is a new species? She told me it lives near or in water sources and that their bites are the most painful ever. She says they can move quickly as well.

When I got to it my cat had already tuckered the poor insect out by playing with it all night. Yet, it still tried to attack me when I went to pick it up to throw back outside.

Nasty critters and this one was almost as long as my foot. Enough to make you think twice before letting it near you