Why is it so difficult to change Lao kip into baht in Thailand? There is a lot of trade between the countries but Thailand appears to refuse to accept the kip. Thailand purchases electricity, timber, etc and likes Lao people coming to shop and spend their money, so why the problem with exchanging Kip for baht?

Because they would need a 10 wheel truck to take back to Laos 100.000 THB worth of Laos KIP. [emoji10][emoji3]

Can't it be done digitally?

Send what digitally ? Laos Kip ? How ?

It's a relatively isolated communist country, strict rules on foreigners entering and working and very poor. Expect the same for the British pound in the next year wink.png

Very funny , made me laugh.... but not true. Another frustrated "remainer" .

yes I’m intrigued by the way there was almost a religious like fervour regarding using the Kip which really only happened after 2012 when the governor of the central bank started issuing 100,000 Kip banknotes. When I visited the National Museum in Luang Prabang they wouldn’t even accept my US dollars for an entrance fee and made me go around the corner to exchange them for Kip banknotes.giggle.gif

Similar thing happened in Cambodia a couple of months ago and you can see the sign for yourself in this picture which says that items in the shop must be paid for in Cambodian currency onlyohmy.png

post-149848-0-78326300-1467699588_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

Because they would need a 10 wheel truck to take back to Laos 100.000 THB worth of Laos KIP. [emoji10][emoji3]

scan the notes and send by email attachment crazy.gif

scan the notes and send by email attachment crazy.gif

i suppose banking them in a thai vault and transferring them back to a loas bank for thb electronically would be too easy ?

or bank them on this side and sell them to people who are doing cross border tradeing ,fx shops etc

im sure they could find a better way if anyone gave a shit about this toilet paper money ......

Anyone with kip to exchange/deposit might want to check with Bangkok Bank. Bangkok Bank, now having branch in Vientiane. And, officers at local Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Khong informed me kip is now accepted for deposit.

Have a good day.

It's a relatively isolated communist country, strict rules on foreigners entering and working and very poor. Expect the same for the British pound in the next year wink.png

Britain is different, we let anyone enter and work in our country.

Britain is different, we let anyone enter and work in our country.

If only!

@Asiantravel, except for Cambodia, in every other country in SE Asia one should carry the local currency for use. This includes Laos. Only lazy tourists will use USD, fact is, the national currency is the Kip and should be supported; currency exchange booths and banks are everywhere, while ATMs will dispense Kip ONLY. If you're based in Thailand, I also see no reason to carry USD at all, when Baht can also be used throughout Laos. For all the effort needed to purchase USD, no effort is made to use the local currency. I find this bizarre in the extreme.

@Asiantravel, except for Cambodia, in every other country in SE Asia one should carry the local currency for use. This includes Laos. Only lazy tourists will use USD, fact is, the national currency is the Kip and should be supported; currency exchange booths and banks are everywhere, while ATMs will dispense Kip ONLY. If you're based in Thailand, I also see no reason to carry USD at all, when Baht can also be used throughout Laos. For all the effort needed to purchase USD, no effort is made to use the local currency. I find this bizarre in the extreme.

It's not so bizarre when you leave Laos and you have a pile of notes you can't spend or exchange, probably why people don't mind buying usd, it just works nearly everywhere so the excess will be easier to spend