Videoing Police Stop & Search

timbothaivisa

I was stopped at a police checkpoint last night, and thought it might be an idea to video the proceedings on my phone. The officers were very nice and everything went smoothly, but they insisted on deleting the video at the end (which I can easily retrieve using free software).
Anyone know for sure who was in the wrong?

I was stopped a few times and asked for my DL. One time they had me and the Mrs get out of the car, and they went through it. I installed a dash cam, and since then they wave me along quickly every time as, my camera is rolling when I roll up.

Edited by Shot

Coppers are funny to not even know that every single photo or video I make is automatically uploaded online, and sometimes even if I tell them they seem not to understand :-)

Also, they are more than quiet when telling them that my car is also equipped with hidden camera that also record 24 hours. Not sure that the trick would work with a toyota but with a correct brand they trust me for sure !

What could be their reason to ask you to delete a video ? Just refuse and see what happens ?

It's not very helpful to post this cut video without the background.

A motorbike rider trying to flee a checkpoint got his kick, so what?

Was he shot? No!

He was suspected of being in possession of drugs. Police were asked by radio to stop him and when he tried to escape, the officer on the video stopped him 'in his own way' (and he was in possession of drugs).

Edited by Mark123456

On a positive note.

Yesterday I was pulled up at a check point. Insurance & road tax label out of date, by a few days. Explained to the nice officer that I had paid an agent & was waiting for new labels in the post. He didn't accept this.

He was holding my DL while interviewing me. He inquired where I was going. Explained I was going to the local hospital to see my step daughter. She is pregnant & having difficulties. My wife had been at the hospital with her for several days. He handed back my DL & said go, go, you must check she ok.

Just lucky this time I guess.

I have seen worse than this. 3 guys (university students) on a bike, no helmets and the policeman kindly picked up a cone and knocked the 3 off the bike. He then kicked the 3 of them in the head. I didn't video it as this behavior is a daily occurrence here in Thailand and highlighting that this would not be appreciated by the police or even Thai people in general. Showing the country in less than a positive light is frowned upon, no matter how true.

I have seen worse than this. 3 guys (university students) on a bike, no helmets and the policeman kindly picked up a cone and knocked the 3 off the bike. He then kicked the 3 of them in the head. I didn't video it as this behavior is a daily occurrence here in Thailand and highlighting that this would not be appreciated by the police or even Thai people in general. Showing the country in less than a positive light is frowned upon, no matter how true.

"this behavior is a daily occurrence here in Thailand" maybe a slight exaggeration you think ?

​I have no doubt it does happen occasionally, but a daily occurrence ???

I have a dashcam in the front and back with audio recording. I got stopped outside of Khao Yai park. I also video'd with my phone as well... He asked why I was filming and I said "for safety reasons, my safety as well as yours". He was very confused and walked away. Came back a minute later and told me to pass without looking for my DL or anything else. 99% of the checkpoints they see the dashcams and let me go. The only ones that will get you regardless are the DUI checks. Dashcams dont help.

The daily occurence in Thailand is that motorbikes and sometimes even cars flee checkpoints and get away with it.

THAT is what stuns me.

I watched this more than once but never seen the kicking stunt as seen in the video.

Think what would happen in the US.

On a positive note.

Yesterday I was pulled up at a check point. Insurance & road tax label out of date, by a few days. Explained to the nice officer that I had paid an agent & was waiting for new labels in the post. He didn't accept this.

He was holding my DL while interviewing me. He inquired where I was going. Explained I was going to the local hospital to see my step daughter. She is pregnant & having difficulties. My wife had been at the hospital with her for several days. He handed back my DL & said go, go, you must check she ok.

Hope your step daughter is okay.

I've also met some nice cops here. Like everybody else, they're just human: the (few) bad ones give the rest a bad name.

Edited by djayz

Last time I told them that my buffalo was sick and it also worked !

On a positive note.

I've had a dash camera now for about the last 4 years. I haven't been stopped since.

As a side note, I have the audio turned off. I scream & bitch at the idiot Thai drivers so much, I decided that might not work in my favor in the event I had to show the video to a cop to prove an accident was not my fault.....YMMV

Well done ! should be more of this then maybe the bike riders will pay a little bit more respect for the law.

Someone mentioned not putting Thailand in a good light - there are numerous channels on YouTube which Thai people post videos to.

It gets a a little boring after a while .. But it's usually a roadblock after a U-turn or lights and the copper pulls them over.

"You jumped the red light / weren't in the left lane"

"Sorry the light was green / I have been in the left hand lane for the last 2km"

"No you weren't/haven't"

"I was .."

"Sorry sir"

"Would you like me to replay the video on my phone"

"Ok .. You can go"

Some of the policeman look like your average Joe, they talk politely - It gives me the impression they are just sent out by their superiors to generate xxx,000B and then your welcome to return to the station.

Edited by recom273

I've had a dash camera now for about the last 4 years. I haven't been stopped since.

As a side note, I have the audio turned off. I scream & bitch at the idiot Thai drivers so much, I decided that might not work in my favor in the event I had to show the video to a cop to prove an accident was not my fault.....YMMV

"I've had a dash camera now for about the last 4 years. I haven't been stopped since."

Must the area you drive in. I've had my dash cam for over 2 years & have been stopped several times. It is handy though, when they claim you've run a red light

I have post kind of same thing last week.
All reaction were like : " no police have all right"
It s actually forbidden to make a block roads without strict permission of a high ranked officer.
If the police ask you to delete, It might be that the blockroads was not legal. ( as it happen for me ).
I also recover the pictures that the policeman itself delete on my phone. So I guess you can make a complain at anti-corruption office in bangkok.

Coppers are funny to not even know that every single photo or video I make is automatically uploaded online, and sometimes even if I tell them they seem not to understand :-)

Also, they are more than quiet when telling them that my car is also equipped with hidden camera that also record 24 hours. Not sure that the trick would work with a toyota but with a correct brand they trust me for sure !

What could be their reason to ask you to delete a video ? Just refuse and see what happens ?

You're in a foreign country under military law and you want to exercise some "rights". What do you drive, a Rolls?