That's anti skid paint - not gloss, says highway department

webfact

That's anti skid paint - not gloss, says highway department

ssp.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Rural Roads reacted quickly to a Facebook complaint about an accident black spot painted in red.

A poster on the social media site showing a picture of two cars in an accident had suggested that the bridge over Highway 7 leading to Bang Saen beach was painted in red gloss, reported Daily News.

The Department said that it was not gloss but anti skid paint or quick drying "foam plastic paint" designed to give more traction to vehicles.

The aim was to reduce accidents on the bridge and enable vehicles to travel safely at 80 kilometers per hour. It was painted four months ago.

Chairat Khamneungsakulthai had posted a picture of the latest accident on Facebook believing the paint to be the cause of accidents rather than preventing them.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-12

Chairat Khamneungsakulthai had posted a picture of the latest accident on Facebook believing the paint to be the cause of accidents rather than preventing them.

Ones suspects K Chairat posted the picture and accusations to save face as he was driving like a <deleted> and skidded so lets blame the paint instead...

Don't they have the same thing painted on an elevated overpass near Suwa airport?

It certainly looked to me that due to poor quality, this thing gets polished by passing cars fairly quickly and ends up even more slippery than the regular surface.

Yep- paint causes accidents, not EXCESSIVE SPEED!!!

I thought everybody knew that. Speed just cuts down your journey time it has nothing to do with accidents. Just the same as BREXIT will obviously lead to more road accidents in Thailand

Edited by gandalf12

The red paint is clearly slippery when wet, which is very natural. It's a smooth surface as opposed to most normal roads. Nothing that gives grip and no natural drainage as with normal tarmac that has a coarse surface.

I have noticed in the krabi area a certain new type of road paint, looks just like this,and it's the the absolute antithesis of non-skid. Dangerous as hell particularly on a bike.

Whoever chose the paint mustn't have been using his non-skid brain, although more likely it was a highly concious choice - substandard product leaves more to trim off for the kitty.

Notice the picture is contra-jour so the surface appears more reflective than it is. Viewed from the other direction it appears matt.

The sign on the approach is a mandatory '40kph' and it means it. Most vehicles simply approach at too high a speed in wet conditions and can lose traction and slew.

Best just put a line of 'speed bumps' all around the curve.

Looks simply like a wet sloppy road to me and even in Thailand I cannot imagine someone would paint the road in gloss paint, just can't even begin to think that's possible.

Some employee at a paint warehouse is on a mobile phone right now, reading this story on his Facebook feed and going... you mean they wanted our ANTI skid red paint, not the pretty shiny one? facepalm.gif

Most hilarious quote of the day.

Well done.

Yep- paint causes accidents, not EXCESSIVE SPEED!!!

I thought everybody knew that. Speed just cuts down your journey time it has nothing to do with accidents. Just the same as BREXIT will obviously lead to more road accidents in Thailand

Thaksin's fault.

The red paint is clearly slippery when wet, which is very natural. It's a smooth surface as opposed to most normal roads. Nothing that gives grip and no natural drainage as with normal tarmac that has a coarse surface.

You clearly have not driven on it when its wet. It is clearly NOT slippery and it does provide more grip.

BTW Driven on it many times in all conditions, this morning the latest.

Stop re-enforcing the Thai's posting lack of knowledge.

Edited by kaorop

Notice the picture is contra-jour so the surface appears more reflective than it is. Viewed from the other direction it appears matt.

The sign on the approach is a mandatory '40kph' and it means it. Most vehicles simply approach at too high a speed in wet conditions and can lose traction and slew.

Best just put a line of 'speed bumps' all around the curve.

Bumps on a motorway bypass,wow.You are from the USA,right?

I have noticed in the krabi area a certain new type of road paint, looks just like this,and it's the the absolute antithesis of non-skid. Dangerous as hell particularly on a bike.

Whoever chose the paint mustn't have been using his non-skid brain, although more likely it was a highly concious choice - substandard product leaves more to trim off for the kitty.

Now that was the post I was looking for, I recently traveled from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai by motorbike and they have made red diagonal stripes on the downhill off camber corners to alert drivers to potential danger. Well my first experience frightened the bejesus out of me so if it was intended to slow people down well it &lt;deleted&gt; well worked with me.. Absolute bullshit. terrible loss of traction and stripes with the grip, no grip, grip scenario was crazy.