Man, 23, dies after slamming motorbike into six-wheel truck in Phuket

webfact

Man, 23, dies after slamming motorbike into six-wheel truck in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1469080123_1-org.jpg
The man died from injuries he sustained after slamming into the back of a six-wheel tuck. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 23-year-old man died this morning (July 21) from injuries he sustained when smashing his motorbike into the back of a six-wheel truck in Koh Kaew.

Lt Sunan Petchnoo of the Phuket City Police received a call at 7:30am today from Koh Kaew Administration Off ice (OrBorTor) chief, Kerkiat Jitear, who reported an accident on Thepkassattri Rd southbound in front of the entrance to Sapam Village.

It was reported by Mr Kerkiat that a motorbike has crashed into another motorbike before slamming into the back of the six-wheel truck.

The accident had left the motorbike driver with serious injuries police were told.

Police arrived at the scene together with Kusoldharm rescue workers and medical staff from Mission Hospital to find a pink Honda Scoopy stuck underneath the back of the truck. One injured motorist, identified later by police as 23-year-old Parinya Chansakul, lying in a pool of blood nearby.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-23-dies-after-slamming-motorbike-into-six-wheel-truck-in-phuket-58331.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-21

Always be extra careful when riding around trucks and other heavy vehicles here.

A month or so ago the TV was showing a slow-motion clip of a young woman on a scooter hitting the back of a car... toppling off and her legs falling into the next lane as a 10 wheel truck was passing.

Squished and rolled them off not far below the groin, as each set of wheels squished them off even more.

Edited by DLang

Another speeding motorcyclist who thinks he is immortal is now off the road. Fine with me. Killed himself before he got to kill others.

he proved himself correct, to be a cut above the rest...

I'm guessing if the tailgate had been in up position it could have been a different outcome.

There is a high probability that the injuries would be at least as extensive, especially given the quality of helmets here.

Also, the truck was showing a red flag - which, anywhere in the world, implies: danger.

The blame (this time) does NOT lie with the truckdriver.

Another speeding motorcyclist who thinks he is immortal is now off the road. Fine with me. Killed himself before he got to kill others.

He had a crash with another motorcycle before hitting the truck.

That little scooter doesn't seem to be badly damaged, it looks like it could be ridden away, suggesting speed may not have been the main factor.

The dangerous position of the tailgate and a lack of helmet would seem to be the main cause of death.

That little scooter doesn't seem to be badly damaged, it looks like it could be ridden away, suggesting speed may not have been the main factor.

The dangerous position of the tailgate and a lack of helmet would seem to be the main cause of death.

I have not read any report that the deceased was not wearing a helmet. The tailgate is another matter, but seems to be legally allowed in Thailand so long as a red flag is present.

Speed was not the main factor?

Huh?

They have an eye witness saying the deceased was traveling at a high rate of speed.

If the rider had been traveling at a low rate of speed then they would have simply stopped and not made contact with the truck.

I have not read any report that the deceased was not wearing a helmet. The tailgate is another matter, but seems to be legally allowed in Thailand so long as a red flag is present.

My assessment that he was not travelling at high speed, and that he wasn't wearing a helmet, was made after close examination of the attached photo from the Gazette, and another one of him being treated on the roadside for an injury high on his head.

​The point of impact on the tailgate can be seen. As you can see the scooter didn't travel very far under the tailgate after his head impacted.

While he was obviously travelling too fast to stop before crowning himself, it appears the claims of him travelling at HIGH speed came from the lady on the other bike whom he hit before the truck. She suffered little damage and was not injured. (Perhaps she caused him to swerve at the last minute, but he's not around to give his version!)

post-18822-0-39778800-1469133454_thumb.p

Edited by Old Croc

Huh?

They have an eye witness saying the deceased was traveling at a high rate of speed.

If the rider had been traveling at a low rate of speed then they would have simply stopped and not made contact with the truck.

The "eye witness" was part of the accident, was no doubt facing away from the oncoming rider, and is probably defending her part in the collision.

The fact that the scooter jammed under the tailgate and didn't have sufficient speed to even reach the main body of the truck, strongly suggests to me that HIGH speed was not the case here.

The last time someone hit the back of my car he was travelling at only a few ks per hour. Bad drivers can run into things at any speed.

Edited by Old Croc

Huh?

The "eye witness" was part of the accident, was no doubt facing away from the oncoming rider, and is probably defending her part in the collision.

The fact that the scooter jammed under the tailgate and didn't have sufficient speed to even reach the main body of the truck, strongly suggests to me that HIGH speed was not the case here.

The last time someone hit the back of my car he was travelling at only a few ks per hour. Bad drivers can run into things at any speed.

Old Croc,

You make a good case and that close-up photo sure helps.

I see your points and you have convinced me.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

If you read the article properly: Ms Boonrai Naneua, 53, the driver of the red Honda Scoopy and who was also involved in the incident said that the driver of the pink Honda Scoopy, Mr Parinya, came at high speed when he crashed into her, this caused him to lose control of his motorbike before slamming into the back of the truck.

If you read the article properly: Ms Boonrai Naneua, 53, the driver of the red Honda Scoopy and who was also involved in the incident said that the driver of the pink Honda Scoopy, Mr Parinya, came at high speed when he crashed into her, this caused him to lose control of his motorbike before slamming into the back of the truck.

If you read my posts (#12 and 13) properly, you'd see I've noted the fact that the eye witness you quote was part of the accident, and like most in that position, is defending her role in it.

Edited by Old Croc

I bet that hurt!

Quite possibly the first post on the forum in the past two days that we can all agree on.

Ohhh someone will be past surely to announce that I'm

Wrong CC.

U know how stuff rolls at TVF CC

On the odd occasion I've lost control of my bike.... And it's slammed into something.... But never have I seen it sitting so nicely upright, just waiting for me to crawl back onto its faithful back, and ride off again.

Truck tailgates should never be left down... There are gruesome pictures available from every country, showing instances of other vehicles wrecking themselves on lowered tailgates.

These type of accidents are probably not included in vehicular safety studies, because death is usually the outcome... Sherlock said "no shit!"