Banks - Recommendations

gazzabkk

Could I ask people for their recommendations for where it is best to bank in Pattaya/Jomtien.

Edited by Rimmer
Please do not post in Giant fornts. We do not allow horror stories, as this can be defamation, please refer to the forum rule number 6. Thank You

In Jomtien, I've had competent and friendly service at SCB on Jomtien Beach Road near Soi 5. There is another SCB branch on Jomtien Beach Road near Soi Watboon and I didn't find them as fluent/helpful in English.

I've also had excellent service at the Bangkok Bank branch in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit near Thappraya Road. Not so much at the Bangkok Bank branch on Jomtien Second Road near Soi 5.

To the OP: Try to find a bank convenient to where you live and/or work. It seems every now and then I find transactions that cost more and/or take longer if you do them at a different branch of the same bank in the same city. e.g. I tried to update my address and e-mail address once, and it was strongly encouraged that I only do that at the branch where I opened the account.

Any major bank missing? biggrin.png

Could I ask people for their recommendations for where it is best to bank in Pattaya/Jomtien.

To differentiate one needs to know what your (special) needs/business with the bank will be.

How easy to open an account?

English speaking staff?

Account type (current, savings)?

Internet access required?

Credit card (not debit) required?

Foreign transactions (sending money from Thailand)?

The first two points can vary from branch to branch even within one region like Pattaya.

In the every day transactions (ATM use, cash withdrawal/deposit) there is very little difference between the banks.

Experiences with Kasikorn on Beach rd. (Royal Garden) and Jomtien Beach rd. / Soi 2 (from a mate) are good.

Edited by KhunBENQ

A post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Not that need all of them but I have an account with K-Bank, SCB and Bangkok Bank. They are all about the same. Bangkok Bank has the advantage if you are an American who wants to send money via their NY office.

Big branches gave better services and are open weekends, so I would recommend a bank with a big branch near you, such as SCB in Big C Tai, K-Bank in Big C Klang.

Edited by Thailand J

Avoid Krungsri, the staff have a scam to get you to take out life insurance, they tell you its a high interest savings account which pays 8% interest if you leave it in for 5 years, too good to be true - it is! I paid in 200,000 Baht and the next year they took another 200,000 Baht from my account, worked out I had signed up to pay 200,000 a year for 5 years and at the end of that I would get a lot less than I paid in, and you only get the 8% interest on the first 200,000 Baht. I did not have enough money to pay 200,000 a year so I had to cancel the policy and lost the first 200,000. I have spoken to other ex-pats who were taken in by the same scam. Lesson: do not sign up for things you do not understand, especially if it's all in Thai, and do not believe bank staff, they are on big commission to sell these policy's. I am now with Bangkok Bank.

Don't let the bank staff force you into buying their insurance.

Many reports online.

They insist you purchase insurance and that is NOT bank policy. Scammers.

Just the kind of people you want working at your bank....dishonest/immoral/unethical.

You can report them, like I did, but nobody cares.

Go to the Banks website and clarify the conditions for opening an account if the hit you with this scam.

Reads like an Edgar Allan Poe poem.. Dark and sinister.

Don't let the bank staff force you into buying their insurance.

Many reports online.

They insist you purchase insurance and that is NOT bank policy. Scammers.

Just the kind of people you want working at your bank....dishonest/immoral/unethical.

You can report them, like I did, but nobody cares.

Go to the Banks website and clarify the conditions for opening an account if the hit you with this scam.

Have there been reports of customers being held at gun-point and "forced" to buy bank insurance products...I must have missed them. A simple "mai-iow" has worked for me. Banks are financial product supermarkets and bank staff are salespeople and trying to up-sell people additional financial services isn't a "scam."

No silly, they are not using a gun.

Of course it's a scam. Many many many reports here on ThaiVisa.

Just last week they did it to my friend at B****** Bank Jomtien. Demanded 2,000bt for mandatory insurance before they would open his new account.

Greedy, unethical bank staff are telling farang clients it's mandatory to purchase insurance before processing a new account.

They refuse to back down and let potential new clients walk.

Happens over and over and over again and there are threads discussing it so don't bother me again with your nonsense.

Search it.

I'd be very curious to know the account bank balance of your "friend" and the others who have difficulty opening accounts. An account balance of less than 25-50k provides little to no profit for the bank...therefore, there's a reluctance to open them without the purchase of another bank product. A bank account isn't a right...they're not public utilities. There is no duty for a bank to open an account for someone if they don't want too.

And as I said, these insurance products aren't mandatory and I've never had a problem opening my half-dozen accounts during my time in Thailand without buying them.

Have you checked the thread from 2 years ago about the bank staff compelling new customers to by the insurance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738114-kasikorn-bank-wont-give-me-an-account-unless-i-buy-accident-cover/

Oh, I see, you were in that thread too, denying it happens way back then too.

Do you work for the bank I'm wondering?

Yes, it's true, many bank staff are wrongly informing new customers they must buy insurance to open the account.

If they try it, call the PR department at the main branch and inform them the bank staff are scamming.

They know all about it.

Wow. I just checked, there have been many threads about this common bank insurance scam.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=8a7162fd42221484e50595a41cd9265b&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=kasikorn%20bank%20new%20account%20insurance

Edited by Buzzz

TMB doesnt seem to figure in this thread. Not sure why as they offer fairly competitive interest rates, dont charge too much for debit cards, dont try and sell insurance and their cards work in other regions for free.

Personally I have accounts with TMB, CIMB, Krungsri, Standard Chartered and Kasikorn (I dont use the Kasikorn one any more as they dont offer any good rates). I avoid Bangkok Bank and SCB as they dont offer very good rates.

Fixed rates are what usually determine where my money goes. A combination of rate, term, and when interest is paid (monthly or at maturity). Last move was to OUB on 2nd road about Soi 13/4. 1.91%, 12 months, interest monthly. Requires some effort to get the best rate. GSB always seem to have good deals but I am always told "not for Farangs" so I don't bother them any more.

I think BKK Bank is the best. IMHO far better than SCB in my experience.

I have an account in both banks - Bangkok Bank for a monthly Social Security direct deposit to its New York branch, I can draw from it without any charges. SCB because I have had an account with them for fifteen years and see no reason to close it, I have a no charge Master Card from them as well, works great in restaurants, stores and ATM's.

I have heard Kasikorn is very Foreigner friendly.thumbsup.gif

I have two different acount in TMB bank.

One who give me morgage and I send Money from DK to that account and one to ATM card.

I can take out 25 times free from ATM every month and of course pay with the card every where.

More off topic and Libelous posts hijacking the topic have been removed, the OP is asking for:

recommendations for where it is best to bank in Pattaya/Jomtien.

Kasikorn and Siam commercial are all over Thailand with branches and Atms almost everywhere. The other banks are catching up, but they are a long way behind.

"long way behind"

It's quite a while since I read such unfounded nonsense.

Have you ever left your condo?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Kasikorn and Siam commercial are all over Thailand with branches and Atms almost everywhere. The other banks are catching up, but they are a long way behind.

"long way behind"

It's quite a while since I read such unfounded nonsense.

Have you ever left your condo?

Both Kasikorn and SCB have approx 1000 branches and approx 10,000 ATMs all over Thailand. That is called service to Joe Public. Name me another bank that provides even close to the same level of service.

Whatever bank the OP picks out the one thing that I would suggest is to get an account at a branch in a shopping mall

Many times you have to go back to your "home" branch to obtain certain services and it is much more convenient if that branch has extended hours, like those in shopping centers