New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

In spite of my settings, I get email notifications 3 or 4 times a day.  See the settings screenshot. I don't want any email notifications - How do I set that?

Screenshot-3.png.2aa0398d1bf113f225cc1a9847a68f25.png

Scroll down in that list and post a screenshot of that please.

52 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Scroll down in that list and post a screenshot of that please.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.  Shots below of how it was.  Now I've switched off all email notifications except for pm's, so we'll see how that goes.

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

So what happened last night? Couldn't connect from about 11pm onwards. Tried for about 4 hours using my PC, but could connect using my android phone:

PC screen captures of three separate attempts:

1min32s.jpg 1 min 32s

2min43s.jpg  2 min 43s

3min12s.jpg 3 min 12s

None of the above connections worked, no matter how long I waited.

Was it 3BB in Phuket or something else?

12 hours ago, jpinx said:

All done -- and within an hour I got 4 more unwanted email notifications!  haha!!

Would that be some sort of contention between the Notification Settings and the Notification List?

@Tech Doctor Which do you think should take precedence?

Edited by VBF

12 hours ago, jpinx said:

Another "missing" feature is the ability to have a page display only those threads I have contributed to (or started). 

@jpinx You could set that yourself with a custom Activity Stream I think.

Go to Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream and create a Custom Stream

4 hours ago, VBF said:

@jpinx You could set that yourself with a custom Activity Stream I think.

Go to Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream and create a Custom Stream

Thanks for the words.  I can go to

> My Activity > Posts >
and it shows the threads I have posted to.  That'll do. :)

1 hour ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hi 

Notification settings are overwritten if you have selected notify me by email of replies or follow the thread.

TD

Having two controls over one feature is a really bad design. The selection in the reply frame defaults to "yes", but does not specify whether the notification will be by pop-up or email.  Where can I choose to have the notification of replies as a pop-up and not an email, without having to chase through my settings page every time?

Does the reply notification continue to send notifications for this thread, or is this selection for responses to the one reply only?  

4 hours ago, jpinx said:

Having two controls over one feature is a really bad design. The selection in the reply frame defaults to "yes", but does not specify whether the notification will be by pop-up or email.  Where can I choose to have the notification of replies as a pop-up and not an email, without having to chase through my settings page every time?

Does the reply notification continue to send notifications for this thread, or is this selection for responses to the one reply only?  

@jpinx With respect, I must disagree with you there. 

I THINK what @Tech Doctoris saying is that the main Notification Settings are your default settings. However every thread to which you subscribe / follow may be set to override the defaults if you desire. Now I think this is exactly how it should be because it allows you to set notifications as you want them to be but also to allow those which you regard as urgent to give you updates more quickly. For example, I have set most of the stuff I follow to give me daily or weekly notifications, however this thread (New Site Feedback) I have set to instant notification along with 1 or 2 others where I wish to be kept up to date quickly. Another example might be that if i ask a particular question on the Forum, I set it to instant thereby getting maximum exposure to the discussion.  Have I explained my thinking clearly?

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

@jpinx With respect, I must disagree with you there. 

I THINK what @Tech Doctoris saying is that the main Notification Settings are your default settings. However every thread to which you subscribe / follow may be set to override the defaults if you desire. Now I think this is exactly how it should be because it allows you to set notifications as you want them to be but also to allow those which you regard as urgent to give you updates more quickly. For example, I have set most of the stuff I follow to give me daily or weekly notifications, however this thread (New Site Feedback) I have set to instant notification along with 1 or 2 others where I wish to be kept up to date quickly. Another example might be that if i ask a particular question on the Forum, I set it to instant thereby getting maximum exposure to the discussion.  Have I explained my thinking clearly?

Agreed -- if that's how it is - it makes sense, but given my experience with notifications - I'll wait to see ;)  I'd still like to see a clearer distinction between email and pop-up notifications.  Active urgent stuff would be good with pop-ups, longer term but important stuff on email, etc, etc.

I didn't realise that TechDoctor is maintenance admin.  I thought he was in design -- apologies if that caused confusion...

8 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Agreed -- if that's how it is - it makes sense, but given my experience with notifications - I'll wait to see ;)  I'd still like to see a clearer distinction between email and pop-up notifications.  Active urgent stuff would be good with pop-ups, longer term but important stuff on email, etc, etc.

I didn't realise that TechDoctor is maintenance admin.  I thought he was in design -- apologies if that caused confusion...

@jpinx Just a suggestion. Why not set what I perceive as the defaults the way you prefer, then go through all your followed items, one by one, setting the notifications to how you want them and note them down individually. I know it's a bit of a PITA but it should be a one-off exercise. Apologies if you've already done that, but I do find that it works the way I suggested in my last post, and I'm surprised that you're having the problems that you are as this is an area that i find works well.

Also, when you press the Save button, are you waiting for the confirmation message that the Save has worked? If you don't, it may never take effect.

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

@jpinx Just a suggestion. Why not set what I perceive as the defaults the way you prefer, then go through all your followed items, one by one, setting the notifications to how you want them and note them down individually. I know it's a bit of a PITA but it should be a one-off exercise. Apologies if you've already done that, but I do find that it works the way I suggested in my last post, and I'm surprised that you're having the problems that you are as this is an area that i find works well.

Also, when you press the Save button, are you waiting for the confirmation message that the Save has worked? If you don't, it may never take effect.

Confirmation of saving the settings?  Is that a popup or an email?  I've never seen that,,,

Hi,

I'm just here to keep things running and raise bugs, fixes and apply suitable plugins to help make the experience better, and provide final line of support before it goes to the software vendor. I also liase with the team that looks after the theme updates.

TD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Confirmation of saving the settings?  Is that a popup or an email?  I've never seen that,,,

That is a "Black Popup" with Saved in it. It appears on my PC almost at the top of the screen

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

That is a "Black Popup" with Saved in it. It appears on my PC almost at the top of the screen

That's it! After you press Save, you wait for the screen to refresh, then the popup appears and disappears  about 3 seconds later

Believe that is the problem/you have to scroll back many pages - on APPs believe it is listed day/week/older and those with new posts are listed first in each category but on Windows you have to check through everything to get those with new posts as it does not do this.

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

@Tech Doctor

My Content on my PC doesn't show a thread I have posted in, but the iOS app shows it.

The only thing I can think of why it's not showing is because I haven't posted in that thread for a long time already.

Thread in question is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/389070-if-youre-listening-to-music-now-whats-playing-4/

Have got the same problem, the thread I sometimes post in, last time two days ago, never shows up in the list of threads I posted in. It is just this one thread which doesnot seem to 'exist'. 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610576-for-the-birds/?page=72

@Tech Doctor

This page:   http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/profile/35489-jetsetbkk/content/   

displays all my posts. You try it.

One of the links is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961385-how-can-i-see-my-old-posts/?do=findComment&comment=11478605

It never loads. You try it.

If I cut off the "?do=findComment&comment=11478605" from the end of the link, so that it is this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961385-how-can-i-see-my-old-posts/

...it loads. You try it.

Isn't this information a bit of a clue that there is something wrong with this software?

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

This one loads on my PC.

Firefox 50.1

Provider TOT WiNet

Thanks for testing. I get a "The connection was reset" message.

Firefox 28.0

3BB 22/2.5 ADSL

Your second post: Yes!

Edited by JetsetBkk