Thaivisa daily news - FOREIGNERS TO BE GPS TRACKED - 3 August

webfact

Thaivisa daily news - FOREIGNERS TO BE GPS TRACKED - 3 August

www.thaivisa.com/
News from around Thailand and the World. Weekday, daily news show from the biggest foreign media in Thailand - Thaivisa.com

1. All systems go for the referendum 
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935651-all-systems-go-for-the-referendum-just-dont-drop-the-ballot-boxes/

2. NBTC to propose special SIM cards for foreign tourists so they can be traced
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935600-nbtc-to-propose-special-sim-cards-for-foreign-tourists-so-they-can-be-traced/

3. Dissatisfied customer as "Satisfied" the dog dies on last Nok Air pet flight
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935655-dissatisfied-customer-as-satisfied-the-dog-dies-on-last-nok-air-pet-flight/

4. Encroachment on Hua Hin beach - action to be taken
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935653-encroachment-on-hua-hin-beach-action-to-be-taken/

5. Honest Isaan taxi driver reunites passenger with 377,000 baht
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935654-honest-isaan-taxi-driver-reunites-passenger-with-377000-baht/

-- Thaivisa Video News 2016-08-03

well that is what i have been talking about.

well they will find my bracelet wont need many batteries.

this is my yearly activities.

4 trips a yr.to immigration.

3 times a yr.to pick up my cider.

4times a yr.going to the barbers.

but i do go to the toilet about 6times a day.

how do we register?

57 minutes ago, meatboy said:

well that is what i have been talking about.

well they will find my bracelet wont need many batteries.

this is my yearly activities.

4 trips a yr.to immigration.

3 times a yr.to pick up my cider.

4times a yr.going to the barbers.

but i do go to the toilet about 6times a day.

how do we register?

How do you expect us guests to register?:wai2:

Excellent. Another shed full of pubescent cadets gazing blankly at monitors wandering what all the lines, numbers and dots mean. Just like the sheds full of pubescent cadets "monitoring" every like and share on Facebook... LOL. I'm glad they have pinpointed this to be a key area of national safety and concern. Gotta watch them holiday makers! (meh road safety... meh the assaults.. meh the rip-offs, meh the millions of other more important things...) We're looking for outtaline farang.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Mark my words, it will be soon time for many of us to leave. 

There is a real anti-Western stench emanating from the current regime. 

They are too inept to be truly threatening. But it does become tedious and a little sad to see what's happening to the Thai. They deserve better.

Any foreigner intending to behave badly will get a Thai local to go to buy a SIM card for them. The only people "caught" by this nonsense will be those who have failed to abide by the regulation unintentionally. Other sources of "black" SIMs will be tourists departing Thailand, either at the airport or on Khaosan Rd. I have a friend back in the States who's been using a Social Security number issued to a person on an H1B visa who gave it up and returned to his own country, to hide cash income. If you're going to catch naughty people, you have to think like them. It's not just Thailand, it's a rule that applies everywhere

On 8/4/2016 at 0:54 PM, Keesters said:

Good luck tracing my dumb phone. The phone company knows what tower I'm connected too but it doesn't have GPS.

On 8/4/2016 at 1:33 PM, yellowboat said:

What if you do not use a phone ?  Or your phone is an old GSM model without GPS ?

Actually, it's not necessary to have a GPS active or even installed in a phone. The only difference is the DEGREE OF ACCURACY that GPS offers.

Non-GPS phone locations can be triangulated with accuracy typically in the range of 20-100 metres depending how many towers are within range. With GPS (as we all know) the accuracy is down to just a few metres.

Having pointed that out, I do think the whole suggestion is just a furphy. All SIM cards must now be registered and it wouldn't be too hard for the authorities to obtain lists from the carriers - and then filter out the non-Thai citizens. It can be done now with existing systems & technology.

14 minutes ago, AverageAussie said:

Actually, it's not necessary to have a GPS active or even installed in a phone. The only difference is the DEGREE OF ACCURACY that GPS offers.

Non-GPS phone locations can be triangulated with accuracy typically in the range of 20-100 metres depending how many towers are within range. With GPS (as we all know) the accuracy is down to just a few metres.

Having pointed that out, I do think the whole suggestion is just a furphy. All SIM cards must now be registered and it wouldn't be too hard for the authorities to obtain lists from the carriers - and then filter out the non-Thai citizens. It can be done now with existing systems & technology.

Yes, am a big fan of easter egg using directional antennas.  Just woundering if they would even bother. 

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 7:58 AM, DLang said:

If you're not doing anything wrong, you've nothing to fear.

More like, if youre doing anything at all, other than giving all your money to the rich elite then be afraid, be very afraid. 555

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 7:58 AM, DLang said:

If you're not doing anything wrong, you've nothing to fear.

More like, if youre doing anything at all, other than giving all your money to the rich elite then be afraid, be very afraid. 555

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, Keesters said:

Good luck tracing my dumb phone. The phone company knows what tower I'm connected too but it doesn't have GPS.

Same here.  I use an old fashioned flip phone that has basic voice and text.  No wifi, no internet.  It beats using a pay phone when traveling. yes a payphone.  I am dating myself.

On 8/5/2016 at 8:56 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Any foreigner intending to behave badly will get a Thai local to go to buy a SIM card for them. The only people "caught" by this nonsense will be those who have failed to abide by the regulation unintentionally. Other sources of "black" SIMs will be tourists departing Thailand, either at the airport or on Khaosan Rd. I have a friend back in the States who's been using a Social Security number issued to a person on an H1B visa who gave it up and returned to his own country, to hide cash income. If you're going to catch naughty people, you have to think like them. It's not just Thailand, it's a rule that applies everywhere

FYI when you fly with AirAsia (for example from Kuala Lumpur) you have the possibility to but simcards on the plane. These cards you can use without anyone knowing who owns it. In Germany you can walk in to almost any kiosk and buy simcards, no registration needed. Same goes for Holland.

Just another reason for me not to come back to Thailand. Why would I let myself be subjected to this kind of policing? People, there is a whole wide world out there with good food, great cultures, and cheap sex...dare to move on.

Rooting does route out this problem and so does changing location and times no matter what sim you are using. Encrypt SD card and save EVERYTHING onto SD card. Take control of your privacy. LOS has a proven track record of being unable to protect it's tourists or long term stayers. GPS tagging foreign tourists is taking away their right to travel your country and boost your economy. Imagine Mexico does the same.  How about the UN GPS tags each and every military official in Thailand to make sure they are not breaking human right's laws? An in-your-face suggestion. Obviously this society knows nothing about true Jail-breaking.

You don't need to be a criminal to be concerned about your privacy. Is cheating on your wife illegal? I can imagine how they would use this to cancel extensions of visas as they know that you are now a bad person, even though 99% of these coppers and soldiers cheat on their wives all the time. What made them so paranoid that they had to go this far? Sounds more like a Gestapo move to me. 

LOS, what did you do wrong and why the sudden focus on national security? 

It's not like you are tracking the moves of communists looking for Hitler in Thailand, or is it? 

Or is this to do with the Gulen movement seeing as Turkey requested an audience with regards to the Gulen's activity in Thailand. 

If you know them, exploit them to the Turks. Do not let them take away our freedom for these fanatics.

Edited by night scout

Wouldn't be it even safer to ban tourists completely to enter the Kingdom?

The problem is real. Too many foreigner criminals here. For instance foreigner who works here up on a tourist visa. Go to a russian real-estate agency and check the staff. When finish with that, go to russian lawyer offices. lol

Do the authority this not know? Serious?

Edited by alocacoc

On 8/4/2016 at 9:54 AM, Keesters said:

Lucky you.

I was perfectly happy with my un-smart 'phone, but AIS lost the 2G system (or something, I'm not 'up' on these things), and consequently my 'phone frequently needed to be re-connected to the 'system' - which was annoying enough to force me to buy a smartphone.

I hate the bloody thing!  The 'messages' are so frequent - but not genuine messages, just multitudes of 'update' messages - that I ignore it when the blue light is flashing to indicate a 'message'....

To look on the bright side, it sounds as if I'm ever kidnapped or murdered (provided I've remembered to take the hated 'phone with me), they'll be able to easily track me down :D.