One dead, several hurt in central London knife attack

webfact

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I just watched the latest update to the london stabbing spree on CNN.

Nine hours have now passed since the attack yet the attackers name nor any of his personal history has been released...only that it is someone with mentsl health issues.

This is all we can expect from news sources in the PC future?

Look, if you're a homicidal maniac intent on making the early editions of the papers one is best served by shouting 'Britain first', as happened with the Jo Cox murder.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Although the attacker was shouting allahu akbar, the authorities still were not sure ...;)

It was somewhere quoted like this:

“The fact that they’re evening mentioning terrorism leads me to believe that some of the witnesses and some of the victims may have said that this guy may have made some statements while he was carrying out the attack,”

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Early indications suggest that mental health is a significant factor in this case

Isn't believing in an invisible man living in the sky a form of mental illness?

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Scott.

Absolutely, unless someone nearby has knowledge of the person then the name is released by the police as part of their investigation.

But why don't news reporters ask such basic questions from the Police Spokesperson when the current limited detsils were released? Because it is newsworthy IMO.

And why doesn't the news reporter or anchor apply some heat on the police by reporting, "Our efforts to learn the identity of the attacker have been stonewalled by the Police"? 

Ofcourse, many of us remember a time when investigating and hard questions that forced accountability was part of news reporting. 

But I think I am getting cranky and I need a nap.  Have a good one.

You obviously have very scant knowledge of the law in the UK. If reporters did ask for a suspect's name then the police would not answer.

ACPO guidelines on police naming of suspects

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued a set of guidelines to the police on this subject. The guidelines stated that the police should not generally provide the names of people under investigation to the media. If they do not actually identify the suspect, the police are allowed to give some details such as age, occupation or where the suspect is from.  

The ACPO guidelines also state that once an individual has been charged then the police can and will identify them to the media, usually providing name, age and occupation. There are certain exceptions; for instance this applies to adults (see other articles for juveniles). The official release of this information will include details of the charge and subsequent court appearances.

In what it terms ‘exceptional circumstances’, the ACPO guidelines accept that police may release the name of a suspect prior to a charge, if it is in the public interest to do so. Moreover, when a media organisation has already discovered the suspect’s name through investigative journalism and seek confirmation of it, the police are permitted to confirm the name. (source)

The same situation applies in all criminal cases; suspects are usually not named until and unless charged. A quick search through news reports of other crimes will confirm this.

BTW, I can find no mention in any report from any media outlet, reputable or not, that the man shouted "Allah Akbar."

This may be a terrorist attack, it is just as likely to be a random attack by a mentally disturbed individual; such as that carried out by Nicola Edgington.

Edited by 7by7

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

It has been over half a century since any one was executed in the UK, and even then if mentally unstable were speared the death sentence, the UK is a civilised country, please let it stay that way...

I think what they mean is he should have been shot onsite, and I agree with that wholeheartedly, mentally unstable or no.

Good to see the usual posters jumping to conclusions.  About the only thing really known at the moment is that he is 19 years old and according to a witness, he is black.  Unlike the British police who are not drawing any conclusions at the moment the posters here are desperate to make the crime fit their agenda.

signed

James Butler (Essex)

1 hour ago, Familyonthemove said:

From todays Daily Telegraph:  "Witnesses described the man as black and wearing a motorcycle on top of his head".

- So we do know he had an extremely strong neck.

And from the Mirror Live Updates:  "He said the attacker was white, and was wearing shorts and a T-shirt as he ran down the street randomly stabbing people".

- I suppose any tragic event like this has conflicting reports - but odd that we know so little about the attacker seeing as how he's under arrest.

8 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

- I suppose any tragic event like this has conflicting reports - but odd that we know so little about the attacker seeing as how he's under arrest.

Daily Mail reports,

" A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after he stabbed six people in Russell Square at around 10.30pm last night. One witness called him 'dark-skinned' or African, another white and chubby"

I know what I'm betting on being the right description.

Edited by MissAndry

2 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

That data is for 'Registered names' in England and Wales.  Unregistered may look different.  Global will be very different.

What on earth are you talking about? I am sure that in Pakistan there will be more Mohammeds than Olivers, but in England and Wales all births must be registered by law within 42 days. The OP was spouting lies, presumably to generate hatred. Don't try to back up his nonsense.

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What on earth are you talking about? I am sure that in Pakistan there will be more Mohammeds than Olivers, but in England and Wales all births must be registered by law within 42 days. The OP was spouting lies, presumably to generate hatred. Don't try to back up his nonsense.

Wrong.    If you look at the original report you can see that although Oliver was top - if you take all the different spelling of Mohammed, Muhammed etc then it was number 1 in UK.  Has been this way for about 5 years now.  The earlier reports from 2013, 2014 in the Independent used to state that Mohammed, Muhammed etc was Number 1, but in this PC reporting environment they omit that detail now.

It's the same situation with most global stats - but these figures are less reliable due to the Chinese language names and the comparatively wide range of Indian names. 

I'm not saying it's wrong or a bad thing - it's just a fact that illustrates the changing demographics of 21st Century England.

From The Spectator:  Why doesn’t the Office of National Statistics want us to know that Mohammed is the most popular boys’ name in England and Wales?  Yesterday, it put out its annual survey of the top 10 baby’s names.  In 2014, it reported, the most popular boys’ names were Oliver, Jack and Harry. This contrasts somewhat with a similar survey by the website BabyCentre last December which claimed that the most popular boys’ name was now Mohammed.

Edited by Familyonthemove

9 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Terrible headlines like this are the norm nowadays.

Wonder if he was home-grown or imported.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan called for the public to remain "calm and vigilant".

Need I say more ? 

3 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Wrong.    If you look at the original report you can see that although Oliver was top - if you take all the different spelling of Mohammed, Muhammed etc then it was number 1 in UK.  Has been this way for about 5 years now.  The earlier reports from 2013, 2014 in the Independent used to state that Mohammed, Muhammed etc was Number 1, but in this PC reporting environment they omit that detail now.

It's the same situation with most global stats - but these figures are less reliable due to the Chinese language names and the comparatively wide range of Indian names. 

I'm not saying it's wrong or a bad thing - it's just a fact that illustrates the changing demographics of 21st Century England.

As this article explains, if you play that particular game, you must also take into account what happens when you add up all the Ollies and Olivers, etc. The Daily Mail created this particular falsehood (surprise surprise) but the reality is that with a population of less than 5% of the UK in total, Muslims are not outbreeding the rest of us.

The dead person is an American woman. The killer is a "Somali Norwegian".

Years ago, a friend of mine had an interview lined up for an exceedingly good job, and the man with whom he was supposed to meet was stabbed to death by a lunatic in broad daylight. The person was hearing voices, the lot.

Institutionalised because he wasn't sane enough to charge.

Edited by Chicog

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

As this article explains, if you play that particular game, you must also take into account what happens when you add up all the Ollies and Olivers, etc. The Daily Mail created this particular falsehood (surprise surprise) but the reality is that with a population of less than 5% of the UK in total, Muslims are not outbreeding the rest of us.

Sorry - still wrong.

There's a political agenda in trying to mask the fact that Mohammed is the most popular name.  I'm not bothered either way - and I think both camps are trying to use the stats for their own purposes, but just looking at the maths - then Mohammad is No 1.

The totals are Muhammad 3588, Mohammed 2536, Mohammad 1116, a total of 7240. There were 6649 Olivers.  Adding in different names that look a bit live Oliver to try and get Oliver over the line is cheating, as they are not the same name, whereas Mohammad and Muhammad are clearly intended to be the same name.

To get back on topic - the same political agenda is leading to self censorship in the press about the recent tragic stabbing case.  We don't know his religion, his name, his nationality or what he was shouting as he attacked people - but we do know he was mentally ill. 

So the Police can diagnose mental illness before they can determine his name or nationality.

Edited by Familyonthemove

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Can you provide a reference for that? According to this article, the ONS reported that in 2014 and 2015 the most popular boys' name was Oliver - not the most Islamic of monikers. In fact, Muhammad doesn't even rank in the top 10, but that doesn't feed the xenophobes' frenzy, does it?

Will reply with links when I get decent wifi on Saturday. In Laos now and wifi keeps dropping. However, original statistic came from the baby centre. Can't see why you have a problem with this though.