Rio Olympics - Which Thai TV channel(s) showing?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up trying to find on thai tv, so i topped up my unused ilikehd account and bought the bssic UK package and the basic Sports package (I did this also as we've signed up for Truevisions football but for the first month I want two options of viewing to see which is best, ilikehd or truevisions).

There's 9 channels (2 didnt seem to work) called Rio (think they're BBC feeds), BBC1 and BBC4 were also showing last night, so I had 9 channels I was clicking through.  Enjoyed watching some judo..ladies rugby 7s..rowing. .but mainly I followed the road race (fantastic course. .Rio looked great).

Cost of the 2 packages, b450 for 30 days.

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I watched the full, uncut Opening Ceremony after the fact via the BBC IPlayer website (UK IP required). They appear to plan to keep their BBC One broadcast available there for the coming month.

It was great to see the full, uncut ceremony, no commercials on the web archived version. But I thought the audio during a lot of the ceremony was fuzzy and poor. It sounded like BBC was taking their sound from an ambient mic somewhere in the stadium vs. being plugged into the sound board.

Later, I caught the NBC U.S. west coast feed replay of the Opening Ceremony that aired after the late night shows. The video and audio quality was great, crystal clear and sharp, easy to hear and understand the singers, unlike the BBC version.

However, as could have been expected, NBC filled the broadcast with commercials, really interrupting and harming the flow of the ceremony. And seemingly when things got slower or arguably less interesting during the ceremony, they just cut away to commercials. I think I counted three commercial breaks in the first half hour or so of their broadcast. And whatever happened during their commercial breaks, you simply didn''t see, AFAICT.

which VPN are you using, my VPN is now blocked by the BBC, if I use a UK IP, looks like I will miss yet another year of the olympics, as they are unwatchable with the commercials in the US and the stupid backstories ,  I've only been able to get a German TV live feed, so in essence, I'm watching it without sound, and can barely tell what is going on , sad, how commercial the Olympics are, they don't even stream for free the opening ceremony,   there seems to be no public good  idea in the US anymore, except the slowing dying PBS. 

8 hours ago, Faz said:

They don't appear to be showing many recorded highlights throughout the day.

It's live, but of course Thailand is 10 hours ahead of Rio.

Saying that I'm watching recorded highlights this morning. The swimming is being broadcast in Thai, but the English  commentary is following women's football between Sweden v Brazil.............lol.

I caught an on-screen programming guide that they showed this morning during an Olympics segment on Channel 11, but the guide was for various of the TV Pool Channels.

Basically, for today at least, they had some stuff on during the morning, and then have more Olympics scheduled in the 7-8 pm timeframe, and then nothing more until after 11 pm, if I recall it correctly.

So basically, it seems, they're leaving their entire prime time programming segments intact, and just filling in with Olympics both before and after primetime. Again, at least, that's what the schedule looked like for today.

this morning mon.12-01am.i had the choice of mcot or nbt.the coverage was diabolical,watching the womens cycle road race after an hr.changed with no warning.

they then showed table tennis till the sprint to the line of the cycle race again no warning,in between there was a thai discussion.

then they went to football.

on nbt.it showed i had a mixture of basket ball which was over half way through,then another football match,by now i had enough back to bed.

oh true was showing past olympics.

The portion I caught the other night was similarly haphazard.

I caught a segment on table tennis where a Thai male was competing. They showed a good portion of the match, but just randomly would cut out portions of the game. So the score would be 7-5, and then in a blink, it had gone to 10-7, and whatever happened inbetween, who knows.

I don't have TV, but thought I could get some coverage online. It's been scant thus far.  I don't much mind now, because my favorite events are track & field which don't start for a couple weeks or so.  

I don't mind paying to view online.  I've found a couple of sites online.  I clicked one, and my virus software (paid retail for it, btw) advised it might be problematic.  There are a few others, but they may be scam sites trying to get people's c.card data.  Chinese/Baidu are renown for such mirror sites.  

In sum, does anyone know of an online site with good coverage?  Again, I don't mind paying, but I have to be sure it's a legit site.

example: livetvweb.net looks legit, but how does one really know?

Edited by boomerangutang

I just returned to Thailand and was also looking forward to watching the Olympics on TV but can't find it anywhere. I have True Visions Platinum package with dozens of sport channels and no Olympics what so ever. Can't believe it this crap again..how come non of the True Sport HD channels show the games? I would at least want to catch some of the athletics and basketball. Been zapping trough the Thai channels many times and seen nothing either...this must be one of the few countries in the world where you can't watch the Olympics on TV. 

Just found this article..not sure if it was already posted:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1010369/dentsu-resolute-over-olympic-rights

Edited by ChomDo

52 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I just returned to Thailand and was also looking forward to watching the Olympics on TV but can't find it anywhere. I have True Visions Platinum package with dozens of sport channels and no Olympics what so ever. Can't believe it this crap again..how come non of the True Sport HD channels show the games? I would at least want to catch some of the athletics and basketball. Been zapping trough the Thai channels many times and seen nothing either...this must be one of the few countries in the world where you can't watch the Olympics on TV. 

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1010369/dentsu-resolute-over-olympic-rights

It's aired from 2300 until around 6am (10 hour time difference), so far on channels 1,3,5 and 33. You just have to scroll through as the 'No Information' is displayed for the channel.

It's poor coverage though, they jump without warning from one event to another and sometimes view one event whilst the commentary is about another event.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I don't have TV, but thought I could get some coverage online. It's been scant thus far.  I don't much mind now, because my favorite events are track & field which don't start for a couple weeks or so.  

I don't mind paying to view online.  I've found a couple of sites online.  I clicked one, and my virus software (paid retail for it, btw) advised it might be problematic.  There are a few others, but they may be scam sites trying to get people's c.card data.  Chinese/Baidu are renown for such mirror sites.  

In sum, does anyone know of an online site with good coverage?  Again, I don't mind paying, but I have to be sure it's a legit site.

example: livetvweb.net looks legit, but how does one really know?

If you're an American with some kind of American address and bank card, you can subscribe online to SlingTV, a kind of online cable TV service that's carrying all the various NBC channels with Olympic coverage. No contract. $20 a month live feed of 40 or so U.S. cable channels. But you would need a U.S. IP address. 100% official and legit.

There's also the option of USTVNow, also 100% legit. Another online U.S. cable TV service, but no VPN or U.S. IP required. Their free service (just sign up and create an account) gives you just the major over the air networks including NBC, live stream in real time from the U.S. East Coast. If you want to pay $29 or $39 per month (again, no contract, just month to month), you can get a full cable package that would include some of the other NBC channels with Olympics and even cloud DVR recording.

In either case, if you could arrange their service, you could keep it for one month during the Olympics and then cancel thereafter, no hassle or penalty.

---------------------------------

I'm guessing, but don't know, that there might be some similar ways to obtain access to the BBC's Olympic coverage.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

If you just want to watch highlights of various Thai athletes competing, you can try regular Thai channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and NBT -- probably 7-8 pm and then after 11 or 11:30 pm at night. Thai language commentary.

Someone else posted earlier that as a TrueVisions customer, he was able to access some English language feeds instead of the normal Thai language programming.

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you just want to watch highlights of various Thai athletes competing, you can try regular Thai channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and NBT -- probably 7-8 pm and then after 11 or 11:30 pm at night. Thai language commentary.

Someone else posted earlier that as a TrueVisions customer, he was able to access some English language feeds instead of the normal Thai language programming.

this morning 2am.for the first time either MCOT or CHANNEL 5,i saw a message from the thai broadcasting authority,which read,

that any showing of the olympics on thai tv.feed are for the thai community ONLY.

so now i know who does the interuptions.its been happening all the time.

14 minutes ago, Faz said:

As a True Visions subscriber you can switch between languages, (Thai / English) from the remote control, although it seems to be exclusively American commentators.

i can get english on my gmmz remote,any outside broadcast.

press audio,then on the down arrow,then ok clear with exit.

Before the Olympics, there was a news article where some of the Thai stations were complaining that they didn't have enough advertising sold for their planned Olympics coverage.

So, now that the Games are here, they seem to be doing everything possible to make their Olympics coverage a failure, even from a Thai perspective:

--spread the coverage among a half dozen different stations.

--air it at mostly off-peak viewing hours when relatively few are watching

--little that I've seen in the way of promoting or programming guide info

--and even when they show Thai competitors, they can't even manage to show the entirety of their performance, but feel it necessary to chop it up and cut out parts.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:46 PM, ChomDo said:

Same here.  Darn shame.  I've looked everywhere and can't find the games.  Last Olympics, if I recall, had tons of Olympics coverage on multiple channels.  It was glorious.  Nada this year. 

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Same here.  Darn shame.  I've looked everywhere and can't find the games.  Last Olympics, if I recall, had tons of Olympics coverage on multiple channels.  It was glorious.  Nada this year. 

Same here. I've had to install Kodi on a Windows 10 PC and learn how to get to streaming sites to view stuff, but it's all hit and miss and I don't know what's on other channels. I just happened to find some boxing before and now it's men's kayaking. Wonderful. default_rolleyes.gif

ZfD2S7K.jpg

Have a look at this thread:

Edited by JetsetBkk

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

If you have a decent internet/wifi, get yourself ilikehd. I've been watching loads on the BBC's 9 x Rio channels (basic sports package) and BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 (basic UK package). Cost b450 for the month. There's something on all day.

Bargain! 

Actually, I've got an IlikeHD account, and it probably still has some money in it. I'll give it a go later - but I really want to know what events are on at which times so I can select the more interesting ones.  I wasn't particularly interested in the bouncy horse riding (forgotten the name) that was on yesterday or the kayaking - even though I did see the English guy win the gold.

"Dressage" - that's it, the bouncy horse riding. Almost as bad as synchronised swimming default_rolleyes.gif .

On 8/9/2016 at 3:47 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you're an American with some kind of American address and bank card, you can subscribe online to SlingTV, a kind of online cable TV service that's carrying all the various NBC channels with Olympic coverage. No contract. $20 a month live feed of 40 or so U.S. cable channels. But you would need a U.S. IP address. 100% official and legit.

There's also the option of USTVNow, also 100% legit. Another online U.S. cable TV service, but no VPN or U.S. IP required. Their free service (just sign up and create an account) gives you just the major over the air networks including NBC, live stream in real time from the U.S. East Coast. If you want to pay $29 or $39 per month (again, no contract, just month to month), you can get a full cable package that would include some of the other NBC channels with Olympics and even cloud DVR recording.

In either case, if you could arrange their service, you could keep it for one month during the Olympics and then cancel thereafter, no hassle or penalty.

---------------------------------

I'm guessing, but don't know, that there might be some similar ways to obtain access to the BBC's Olympic coverage.

Hi John, thanks for the info.  I just tuned into USTVnow, and it's rather good.  I'm starting with the free program which has NBC coverage, and will likely upgrade with payment soon, to enable other stations.  Not surprisingly NBC has a lot of long ad breaks.  I haven't seen TV ads in many years.  It's somewhat interesting to see some of them.   They're all trying to be so laid-back folksy.

Just to be clear, the USTVNow FREE feed of the NBC network is exactly what you'd see, including commercials, if you were sitting in Pennsylvania and watching NBC via antenna or local cable.

I have access to that, but also to SlingTV's Blue package, which of course is paid at $20-$25 per month. But among the other differences, SlingTV has most or all of the other NBC networks that are also carrying Olympics coverage at various times of the day, including MSNBC, CNBC, NBCSports, USA, and Bravo.

The BIG NBC conglomerate in the U.S. has spread their Olympics content, which they paid a small fortune for, over most or all of the various NBC conglomerate owned networks, including the best known NBC channel itself.

The paid USTVNow package would give you, in terms of the Olympcs coverage, NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, USA, but NOT NBCSports. So basically, in terms of Olympics coverage, very similar to Sling's Blue package.

The paid USTVNow package without DVR starts out at $19 per month for the first 3 months. The Sling blue package is $25 per month.

One advantage of the Sling package is that, based on your IP,  you can get their feed based on various cities and various time zones. So if you wanted the local NBC channel for LA or NY, you could get that via IP.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I was noodling around ILikeHD last night, when I was checking about their outlook for the now starting U.S. NFL football season.

And in the process, I saw the Rio 1-9 channels in their directory. I don't have a paid account with them right now, just a free account. But when I clicked one of the Rio channels, I thought it opened and began planning.

Are those Rio channels in their FREE tier, or part of one of their paid packages???