Rio Olympics - Which Thai TV channel(s) showing?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find a clear answer to that question, although, the web version of TrueVision's online programming guide doesn't appear to show any Olympics content for Sat morning during the Opening Ceremony period.

From some prior news reports, it sounded like the Asian company (Dentsu) that holds the Olympics rights for the Asian region was looking to negotiate a coverage agreement with a paid TV provider for Thailand. That was expected to be TrueVisions. But then, never heard anything about such an agreement actually being reached.

Supposedly, the over-the-air TV channels in Thailand -- 3, 5, 7, 9, and NBT -- have the free TV rights to broadcast the Games. But I haven't seen any clear indication, at least in English, of just what they plan to do with those rights.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

thai tv.channel 3HD.  ALSO IN ENGLISH i have it on now.through PSI DISH.its been on since 5.55am.

I did see this morning 4am.true channel 685 on at 8.30am.

Can you decipher you above post a bit...

I looked at all the Thai TV channels at 10 am Sat, and there was no Olympics on, at least on my cable TV feed.

Did Channel 3HD carry the ceremony, and if so when?

Who had it in English?

What name channel is True 685?

For those who can obtain a UK IP, it looks like BBC One carried the Opening Ceremony live (early in the morning Sat. Thai time) and now has the video archived on their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07mzrxt/olympic-ceremonies-2016-opening-ceremony

In the U.S., NBC's West Coast feed is airing their version of the Opening Ceremony tape-delayed right now... starting as of 9:30 am Sat BKK time.

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Good question. True Visions has it on CH 3 and 33, but they are both analog. If there will be no HD channel(s) then it will be a real (Thailand) shame. 

CAT announced recently that all of their Olympic feed -- which is that being used by any of the Thai channels carrying coverage -- was going to be HD.

Whether the actual channels end up using it as HD is a different question.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I looked at all the Thai TV channels at 10 am Sat, and there was no Olympics on, at least on my cable TV feed.

Who had it in English?

I caught the latter part of the opening ceremony (from about 8am) on Channel 3HD (True Ch33). I had spent a few minutes flicking through most of the other True channels until I found it. It also carried an English option - not sure where the feed came from.

It finished around 10am so you must have just missed it.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Thai TV Pool has the rights to the Olympics. So, I think that is 3, 5, 7, 9 and Thai PBS.

However, throughout Asia including Thailand, some events are streamed live on the internet.

Yes, you're right, about those channels having the rights...

But what seems to be missing, at least in English language, is just what kind of Olympics broadcast schedule those channels are going to have -- which channels covering what and when?

There was report in The Nation a few weeks ago saying Thai TV was going to carry the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, the events in which Thai athletes are competing, and some kind of daily recap. But nothing about live vs tape delayed, or what times of day, or any other details.

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

your not missing anything as this has got to be the worst ceremony i have seen,no atmosphere,music at its worst, fireworks have just started oops only 2.

I think you're dissing it too much.

No, not as glitzy as London or China or others. But, had some nice elements, including their use of the stadium floor as a huge broadcast screen, and the lighted elastic bands they used for nice visual effects.

The parts I thought were lacking were, at least on the BBC version:

--it seemed to me the audio feed they were using was very muddy, like they were taking it from a microphone in the middle of the stadium. They had various performers singing at various points during the opening show, but you could barely make out what they were singing.

--the parade of athletes was pretty underwhelming, not much audio accompanying their entrance, and a pretty sparse and unenthusiastic crowd greeting them on either side of the straight walkway across the stadium floor. The stadium this time doesn't have a circular perimeter track, unless most past games I've seen.

The BBC One website version of the Opening Ceremonies runs about 4.5 hours.

The first hour-plus the introduction and Opening Ceremony show.

The middle portion the parade of athletes, country by country.

And the last hour plus the ceremonial speeches and official opening ceremony itself.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Who had it in English?

yes channel 3HD it came on at 5.55am.on channel no.33.on 2 of my telle's i have stii got the gmmz boxes with the PSI SAT,DISH.

it went off before 10am.

tonight my sports supplement gives todays broardcast, 23-00 channels 5,7.

5am.sunday weightlifting,channel 7.

then sunday at 23-00hrs.day 2,MCOT,NBT.

then monday its day 3,channels 3,5.

i have english on my gmmz hand set.

27 minutes ago, meatboy said:

yes channel 3HD it came on at 5.55am.on channel no.33.on 2 of my telle's i have stii got the gmmz boxes with the PSI SAT,DISH.

it went off before 10am.

That's too bad. Can't imagine too many Thais were up watching TV at 6-10 am on Sat. morning to catch the Opening Ceremony.

Wonder if Thai TV is going to broadcast a re-run of the ceremony, either in full or abbreviated, anytime in more accessible viewing hours? Or just lakorns and singing contest and variety shows tonight, same as every day.

If you don't catch anything else, catch the end of the Opening Ceremony where the lighting of the Olympic cauldron is done, the story of who does the lighting, and the amazing, beautiful moving sculpture that accompanies the flame. And that all topped off by an end-of-ceremony fireworks show that was quite lovely.

If you have a VPN you'll for sure be able to catch BBC 3 hour selected events programs. Looks as tho they are archiving what they show. So far this seems to be the best option if you are in Thailand and want English language coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nmccf

I had a look at NBC's American site. After futzing around on the site for a half hour, Difficult to make use of it. There were a couple of outakes from the ceremony you could watch. Apparently, Gisele Bundachen dancing in the crowd and Gisele Bundachen on the catwalk were the only two things worth airing. By clicking on the video you are force fed a zip file download of some other videos of other models. 

As for sports they display all the events in a nice clickable schedule (with wrong times listed when compared with the official Olympics schedule, NBC's schedule is 14 hours ahead) but once you click on an event you are asked to log on via your cable provider. So if NBC can't get rid of you by giving you the wrong times for events, apparently you are welcome to use their site to access what you already have elsewhere. You'd think the whole idea of having NBC carry the games would be to make it available to all, but apparently, no cable provider, no access. I've read reports somewhere on the net that the live streaming for London was plagued by huge buffer times and other problems. Doesn't look good, but if you want basketball or other events that are not a priority for UK viewers, might still be worth seeing if they don't throw us a few crusts and crumbs from those events.

I'm a huge basketball fan, so I really want to see France square off against Australia tonight around midnight Thai time. Hopefully Australia's networks will have tonight's France-Australia basketball matchup, as BBC doesn't appear to be covering it. Both countries have very good teams, this year France looks vaguely terrifying and could upset teams like Spain for a silver, it is not out of the question, they have a lot of raw young talent plus an excellent squad of NBA veteran stars. Australia looks good enough to be at least a thorn in the side of many of the best teams and will definitely be a solid threat to France.  Both teams have top NBA level players, France with NBA all star and veteran perennial world champion with the San Antonio Spurs in captain Tony Parker, an amazing player to watch and catch before he gets too old, up and coming star Rudy Gobert with his tremendously long reach, agility and 7 foot height, Boris Diaw combines good power forward toughness, versatility and all around smart play to go with NBA star Nicolas Batum, also a solid scoring threat and rebounder, and Australia with the feisty Australian rules football influenced play of Matthew Dellavadova and the brilliant passing, shot blocking and all around intelligence of big man Andrew Bogut, also deadly outside shooting guard Paddy Mills a long time team mate of France's Diaw and Parker on one of the NBA's top teams the San Antonio Spurs. Australia also has it's share of top level NBA team players, Bogut was the starting center for the 2014-15 NBA Champion Golden State Warriors and also for the 2015-16 Warrior's record breaking 73 win 9 loss season in which they lost the championship to Matthew Dellavadova's squad the Cleveland Cavaliers headed by LeBron James (who has declined to play in the Olympics) arguably the best still active basketball player on earth and Kyrie Irving (who will be playing for USA) also one of the world's best players.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

I watched the full, uncut Opening Ceremony after the fact via the BBC IPlayer website (UK IP required). They appear to plan to keep their BBC One broadcast available there for the coming month.

It was great to see the full, uncut ceremony, no commercials on the web archived version. But I thought the audio during a lot of the ceremony was fuzzy and poor. It sounded like BBC was taking their sound from an ambient mic somewhere in the stadium vs. being plugged into the sound board.

Later, I caught the NBC U.S. west coast feed replay of the Opening Ceremony that aired after the late night shows. The video and audio quality was great, crystal clear and sharp, easy to hear and understand the singers, unlike the BBC version.

However, as could have been expected, NBC filled the broadcast with commercials, really interrupting and harming the flow of the ceremony. And seemingly when things got slower or arguably less interesting during the ceremony, they just cut away to commercials. I think I counted three commercial breaks in the first half hour or so of their broadcast. And whatever happened during their commercial breaks, you simply didn''t see, AFAICT.

They don't appear to be showing many recorded highlights throughout the day.

It's live, but of course Thailand is 10 hours ahead of Rio.

Saying that I'm watching recorded highlights this morning. The swimming is being broadcast in Thai, but the English  commentary is following women's football between Sweden v Brazil.............lol.