EC chair warns actions which might violate referendum law

rooster59

8 hours ago, candide said:

This also could not be invented! The EC forbiding people to take selfies at voting stations!  :)

Anyway, they may be able to prevent political opinions to be expressed. But selfies? No way they can succeed to prevent them! :)

Simple just use the article 44 hammer. 

I don't understand why people are getting upset about them saying '"no selphies"".  A selphie is a photograph and usually taken to include ones self with what is ever in the background.  I was quite sure, but I googled anyway, and MANY if not MOST countries do not allow photos in a polling/voting place. Common sense.  What's the big deal?   

24 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I don't understand why people are getting upset about them saying '"no selphies"".  A selphie is a photograph and usually taken to include ones self with what is ever in the background.  I was quite sure, but I googled anyway, and MANY if not MOST countries do not allow photos in a polling/voting place. Common sense.  What's the big deal?   

We are not upset. We are joking about it.

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Best Beloved says she will not vote - "Army know what you say - they will not forget."

Dunno what my best beloved will do, but Mrs. Baboon has said she is yet to make up her mind. This of course means she will dutifully turn up and vote yes like a good little Thai. Obviously I am frustrated as she has no idea what she is voting yes to and angrily brushed aside suggestions that she might want to look it up, but there's 'democracy' for you.

I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for our daughter, but I have said my peice and at least have a clear conscience...

19 hours ago, johng said:

From the "informational"  booklet that was sent to every household.

post-2109-0-95758300-1469248516_thumb.jp

This clearly states that thumbprints are required to be affixed on the actual ballot paper, meaning that the referendum is not a secret ballot and therefore stands outside what most of us would describe as a democratic process. 

Edited by millwall_fan
missed content

16 hours ago, baboon said:

Dunno what my best beloved will do, but Mrs. Baboon has said she is yet to make up her mind. This of course means she will dutifully turn up and vote yes like a good little Thai. Obviously I am frustrated as she has no idea what she is voting yes to and angrily brushed aside suggestions that she might want to look it up, but there's 'democracy' for you.

I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for our daughter, but I have said my peice and at least have a clear conscience...

Chumphon is absolutely rabid PDRC/Democrat/military territory, more so even than Surat Thani- i presume they will all be voting yes.

4 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Chumphon is absolutely rabid PDRC/Democrat/military territory, more so even than Surat Thani- i presume they will all be voting yes.

All my circus certainly are, much to my disappointment and their anger at my disappointment. I am about as popular as a fart in a space suit today - well most days, actually - but if they want to vote against their own interests that is their choice.

Just don't ever come bleating to me again about how unfair life is and how bad you have it. Take it up with the army, I'm no longer interested. 

16 hours ago, baboon said:

The last time there was an election,  remember them,  the wife of a friend voted exactly as her mother told her to.

Mummy took no chances and told her daughter the number of the candidate not a name so the lady in question put her X opposite the number and later admitted she had no idea who she had voted for and that included if it was a man or a woman.

7 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The last time there was an election,  remember them,  the wife of a friend voted exactly as her mother told her to.

Mummy took no chances and told her daughter the number of the candidate not a name so the lady in question put her X opposite the number and later admitted she had no idea who she had voted for and that included if it was a man or a woman.

Aye, there are those of us on here expressing our outrage at statements like 'They are too stupid and ignorant to vote and shouldn't be allowed'. Then take a look at our respective posts. It makes you wonder why you even bloody bother at times, eh?

On 6-8-2016 at 8:19 AM, Alive said:

Every time there is a vote or holiday or special reason to go back to their homes, the nation's poor who come to BKK to work have to deal with massive traffic jams and have to spend a lot of money for them to visit their hometowns. So this vote will be no different. The BKK people just walk around the corner and vote, and they don't have to request to do that. This nation's plan has always been BKK, BKK, BKK and its not really fair for the rest of the nation. I know some who will not make that trip because of work and hassles.

You should blame your friend, if you rent somewhere you can be written in the blue book too and then you can vote in that district. Has nothing to do with BKK just with lazy people not wanting to change their registrations (ok some landlords don't like it but in general it can be done)

26 minutes ago, baboon said:

Aye, there are those of us on here expressing our outrage at statements like 'They are too stupid and ignorant to vote and shouldn't be allowed'. Then take a look at our respective posts. It makes you wonder why you even bloody bother at times, eh?

Some people will always be too stupid to vote others just vote how they are told by their family. that is just how it is . Do you really think that people in red area's of Thailand think what to vote.. they are told too.. just like those rabid people in Chumphon (not my words) 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

You should blame your friend, if you rent somewhere you can be written in the blue book too and then you can vote in that district. Has nothing to do with BKK just with lazy people not wanting to change their registrations (ok some landlords don't like it but in general it can be done)

Many landlords will not agree to include tenants on their tabien bahn.

3 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Many landlords will not agree to include tenants on their tabien bahn.

I think its less of a problem than you think (or maybe I was just lucky) moved around a few times with Thai wife and she had no problem to get that done with landlords.  But even if its many.. still there would be many that allow it and most renters just don't WANT to take the trouble. Blaming this on BKK and the goverment is just BS by upcountry hater of BKK and its people (not you)

That guy does not even think it through that there are also people from the south with similar problems and those do vote the way BKK people want. So no big conspiracy to keep the reds down. 

Edited by robblok

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think its less of a problem than you think (or maybe I was just lucky) moved around a few times with Thai wife and she had no problem to get that done with landlords.  But even if its many.. still there would be many that allow it and most renters just don't WANT to take the trouble. Blaming this on BKK and the goverment is just BS by upcountry hater of BKK and its people (not you)

That guy does not even think it through that there are also people from the south with similar problems and those do vote the way BKK people want. So no big conspiracy to keep the reds down. 

I think it depends on the type of place you rent. If you rent a house, or an apartment in a small building, then the chances are that you will develop a closer relationship with your landlord, who will in turn be willing to trek to the Ampher to have you added to the building tabien bahn.

If, on the other hand, you are living in a densely packed building with hundreds of other tenants, as many poorer country folk here do, then the landlord is less likely to want to do this, or won't have the time.

Edited by dbrenn

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Some people will always be too stupid to vote others just vote how they are told by their family. that is just how it is . Do you really think that people in red area's of Thailand think what to vote.. they are told too.. just like those rabid people in Chumphon (not my words) 

I am still against that right to be taken away. However don't come crying to me when the sh!t sandwich you selected duly materialises and ask me to eat it instead. I did not create the mess you are in and I'm sure as hell not responsible for putting it right...