Thailand Referendum: Draft constitution wins approval

webfact

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You might if doing so were seen as the next step in a multi step process.

Yes indeed and hopefully a vote based on reasonable consideration of the process,    providing information is actually available,    and not simply voting as a family member,  or others dictate.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On BBC earlier. I voted no because my dad told me to, and I suspect it was same for yes. I think like Brexit, they thought the were voting to get rid of Pryuth. My wife thought that was most important. I think next year she'll be angry or disappeared, or both.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Wow - this must break some kind of speed record among developing countries for vote counting and reporting (except for the 2002 Iraqi presidential referendum in which 100% of eligible Iraqis voted their support for Saddam Hussein). Way to go, Thailand! 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

North-East in rounded numbers:

Yes 49%

No  51%

I'm very surprising it wasn't a bigger % for No. IMHO it shows the red machine was at work but didn't convince all that many.

Or maybe it means the paymasters thugs are no longer capable of frightening and/or brainwashing so many Issan folks. 

Interesting message 

:clap2:yeah...right!

Sure it has nothing to do with a 100% one-sided representation of the draft or with scare tactics or...or...or...

Just been to the mom and pop store on the soi and on television was video of Suthep voting and then talking to reporters.

I suppose those on the Yes side of the vote will be allowed to speak out publicly and those on the No side ... I think the answer is clear.

15 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Stockholm Syndrome. 

I also find it hard to believe they apparently counted 90%+ of votes within 4 hours of the polling booths closing.

Not so hard as so few voted. Doesn't take long then a LINE message to the "leave them in the dark" LINE group who then add them all up. Plus they wanted to finish early so they could catch a few Pokemon on the way home to catch up with their mates.

I noticed on ABC TV current affairs Yesterday ,  that the crew was intimidated by soldiers when they tried to film student democracy posters being torn down , it reminded me of China or N Korea , Thailand I would say is a spent force , there will be trouble , Prayut hasn't brought the country together,  it is still divided as ever , the only change is the date , also the count went through rather fast for that amount of paper votes , I am suspicious,  but then u R dealing with a Junta why not.

5 minutes ago, mcfish said:

The people have spoken. It's time for farang to accept that decision.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It's not a question of accepting or not as we have no say in the matter but it doesn't stop anyone having an opinion or do you think it does  ?

Things that happen can still affect us like it or not.

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

Just been to the mom and pop store on the soi and on television was video of Suthep voting and then talking to reporters.

I suppose those on the Yes side of the vote will be allowed to speak out publicly and those on the No side ... I think the answer is clear.

Suthep is a vile excuse for a human being and I don't like him. Having said that, he's here, not making his remarks via television or Skype. If I have a wish for Thailand it would be for ALL these past politicians to go away.

27 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Stockholm Syndrome. 

I also find it hard to believe they apparently counted 90%+ of votes within 4 hours of the polling booths closing.

Thats what you call "forcing it down the throat"-rigging .

Constitution passes Sunday’s referendum, says EC

BANGKOK, 8 August 2016 (NNT) - According to unofficial results released by the Election Commission (EC), the draft constitution has been approved by the majority of Thai voters. 

The electoral body announced on Sunday the unofficial outcome of the nationwide public referendum on the draft charter, saying 15,562,027 people or approximately 61.45 percent voted in favor of the draft whereas 9,784,680 people or 38.55 percent voted against. 

As for the additional question, 13,969,594 voters approved the question while 10,070,599 people rejected the question. 

Voter turnout on Sunday was 27,623,126 which accounted for 55 percent of all eligible voters numbering 50,585,118. 

Following the referendum, the constitution will soon be promulgated while general elections are expected take place in 2017 as scheduled. 

Official results of the charter referendum will be released on Wednesday, August 10th. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-08

52 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

I don't think our village people are b/c few voted. I asked why? Ans: They don't want to vote "for free." lol i.e. no Baht for voting so .... I guess no voting. lol Ahhhhhhhhhh is this Thais form of democracy? lol lol lol 

Absolute crap! but hey! you feel important that's all that counts.

It's not a question of accepting or not as we have no say in the matter but it doesn't stop anyone having an opinion or do you think it does  ?

Things that happen can still affect us like it or not.

Sure it's OK but tread lightly. Dont be suckered into joining those posters who are aggressive and completely disrespectful of the regime, most likely the worst offenders are posting from outside our borders..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Yes 49%

No  51%

I'm very surprising it wasn't a bigger % for No. IMHO it shows the red machine was at work but didn't convince all that many.

Or maybe it means the paymasters thugs are no longer capable of frightening and/or brainwashing so many Issan folks. 

Interesting message 

In our village the PYB and Kamnan pushed to vote for a Yes. 

4 hours ago, Nbarch said:

A bad day for Thailand; the new constitution does not solve the political problems, it just exacerbates it.

And sadly, I feel this will all end in tears!

My condolences to all commentors with this election result. Be patient; the perfection and beauty of western-style democracy will ultimately come to Thailand. Until such time, just hang in there! (PS You could alway move to another Asia country which already has a perfect western-style democracy.)

35 minutes ago, Toscano said:

I live in a large village of rural northeast Thailand .  My wife was an official at our local polling station .  I do not believe any leaflets or information about the new draft constitution have been distributed in our vicinity .  I doubt that the Thai public at large have been informed of the content of this charter .  No body has been allowed to discuss it or speak against it at risk of 10yrs in prison .  I believe the Thai public have been deliberately kept in the dark , that most people voting for or against , had no idea of the content of this charter or what they were voting for .  Am I mistaken , or was this a cruel deception ?

Aren't most Thais kept "in the dark"? Look at the typical form of education. I'm astonished at how little Thais are taught a/b the world.... I mean the world other than Thailand. Hell and internet is restricted (TOT) in the sticks so there's another educational avenue closed to the typical Thai. Oh wellllll some nation must be last or near last in modernization/knowledge/freedom/ability to think etc. 

Yes 49%

No  51%

Interesting message 

Around 6 million Isaan voters work in Bangkok. They could only vote if they returned to their villages. They didn't. In previous general elections, they had their fares paid to return home and received money from political parties for voting for them. Didn't happen this time. No incentive to come home and vote.

“The basis of optimism is sheer terror.” – Oscar Wilde. This has been highlighted in the vote results: not by who voted, but who didn't, It is now not whether the leopard will, but it is can he change his spots. Publish the vote percentage of non voters in each province and you will get a true understanding of why there was an overwhelming 'yes' vote.

Bye bye Taksin.This was a referendum on the popularity of the coup,Khun Prayuth and the Army.Most people out my way didn't read the charter,understandably and said they were voting yes because they liked Khun Prayuth and the Army.It seems Thai's like a strong man,  predictability and peace compared to chaos and outright corruption.Democracy is not the concern for them.If i was Khun Prayuth i would be calling an election pretty quick to ride this wave of popularity into the PM's chair before the political sentiment changes.Can't wait for the flow of bile from Dubai.Khun Prayuth took a punt and it has paid off in spades.He is going to be around a long time.