Is immigration on the move again?

sappersrest

Perhaps budget related and/or lease negotiation time? Seems like a silly move if they do move back. As I understand it they were given a rent free period on the basis that the much struggling Prom. would benefit from their presence by pulling in foreigners to the mall, that happened and so now...?

A immigration officer told me a few weeks ago that immigration had a 3 year free lease on the Promenada office in order to attract visitors, after that they had to pay.  He said that work would begin soon on building a large office on the site near the airport, and they would move back there when it is finished.

As they have spent money and effort to renovate the old office, it seems unlikely to me that they would build a new office.

The Pomenada is a depressing place. Only time I visit there is when I have business at immigration, would never go there otherwise. During my waiting period I have walked around the Pomenada. It`s dim, grey, has too much wide open empty space and the times I have been there, could count the amount of people walking about on one hand.

If this is true and immigration is going to move back to the airport location, I really hope the G4T goes with it. If it doesn`t and have to use the expensive agencies to avoid the massive queues, then I guess that will please Nancy. All I say at this time is; oh <deleted>.

42 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The Pomenada is a depressing place. Only time I visit there is when I have business at immigration, would never go there otherwise. During my waiting period I have walked around the Pomenada. It`s dim, grey, has too much wide open empty space and the times I have been there, could count the amount of people walking about on one hand.

If this is true and immigration is going to move back to the airport location, I really hope the G4T goes with it. If it doesn`t and have to use the expensive agencies to avoid the massive queues, then I guess that will please Nancy. All I say at this time is; oh <deleted>.

Some people are never happy ! "has too much wide open empty space"  what"s depressing about that ? 

So would you rather be sitting outside the Promenada office with it's open space and small bit of scenery and nice restaurants or sit outside the Airport office in the car park complaining how hungry you are ? 

18 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Some people are never happy ! "has too much wide open empty space"  what"s depressing about that ? 

So would you rather be sitting outside the Promenada office with it's open space and small bit of scenery and nice restaurants or sit outside the Airport office in the car park complaining how hungry you are ? 

I don`t want to be hanging about at neither. All I want to do when I have to visit immigration is get the business done and over with a.s.a.p. and then p off home.

So far this is all rumour and although it`s difficult to envisage the situation becoming any worse and even more chaotic, nothing would surprise me anymore in this paradise city of Chiang Mai.

2 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I don`t want to be hanging about at neither. All I want to do when I have to visit immigration is get the business done and over with a.s.a.p. and then p off home.

So far this is all rumour and although it`s difficult to envisage the situation becoming any worse and even more chaotic, nothing would surprise me anymore in this paradise city of Chiang Mai.

You haven't answered either question Mr Doom and Gloom :lol:

Edited by alfieconn

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

You haven't answered either question Mr Doom and Gloom :lol:

Doom or gloom or not, if immigration totally moves back to the airport, the present chaos of obtaining a slot will remain the same.

It makes no difference to me whether I`m hanging about at the Pomenada or the airport location, it`s all grim as far as I am concerned. At the Pomenada there are a few restaurants and at the airport the Airport Plaza is only a short walk away, so it makes no difference.

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

So - does that wipe out that cheap, helpful agent so many people were enamored with? Can't imagine him setting up shop at the immigration compound ....

Why not? I'm sure Immigration would want to continue having people pay twice for their services.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

No doubt the move will come with 5 year visas, online appointment booking, free immigration pick up service in limos, complimentary beverage and snacks etc. Reduced fees for long term residents, can't wait!

Maybe they realize that surrounding countries are offering better packages. A friend just returned from Cambodia you only need $400 to enter and stay. 

17 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Maybe they realize that surrounding countries are offering better packages. A friend just returned from Cambodia you only need $400 to enter and stay. 

Never been - what's it like?

I did my marriage extension at the airport office a couple of weeks ago. If they were to move everything else back there now it really would be chaos. There is no sheltered area to queue early morning if it is raining. Nowhere to sit, you have to take your own chairs  I was there 5:20 am, I got ticket number 32, and was seen at about 3pm. In fairness, the officers were really good considering the current situation. People with high numbers like myself had their paperwork quickly checked by an officer to make sure there were no obvious errors before we were told to go away to amuse ourselves for the morning and report back at 2pm. I really think it will die on its feet if everything else is moved back there.

have no idea of the daily baht turnover at the  Immigration office at Promenada but has to be the best business in town and they can't afford rent ???? give us a break.

New immigration office are either now open, or are about to open, all over the country.CM is the top earner,make sense ?.......well it is just a rumour.

Wish they would move to KSK, easy access,parking ,banks on hand,coffee shops and a half decent food court. 

Edited by Sparkles

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

No doubt the move will come with 5 year visas, online appointment booking, free immigration pick up service in limos, complimentary beverage and snacks etc. Reduced fees for long term residents, can't wait!

No dancing girls & ta ta's ?

That's the one idea that might work for Promenada......

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

That in itself would be a vicapologies0...Singapore; Canadian; New . Zealand; U.S of A; Australian; etc, etc.?

Sorry eigordo.....this is not intended for your input. My appologies

TV new super improoved Upgrade is not working too good on my appliance. 

Edited by mankondang

23 hours ago, delboy said:

A immigration officer told me a few weeks ago that immigration had a 3 year free lease on the Promenada office in order to attract visitors, after that they had to pay.  He said that work would begin soon on building a large office on the site near the airport, and they would move back there when it is finished.

As they have spent money and effort to renovate the old office, it seems unlikely to me that they would build a new office.

It all goes back to how much the guys in BKK are prepared to return to Chiang Mai Immigration.   

The 'shearing shed' which was in use at the airport could not cope with the number of customers in previous years, and from all accounts, there are more here now than ever before.